The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: How many gits do you own?

Voters
416. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Real players only need one

17 4.09%
  • 2-5 I One home, a couple for giggin, y'know

157 37.74%
  • 6-20 Did wifey see the last new one?

204 49.04%
  • 21-50 I think I need an intervention

28 6.73%
  • 50+ Crap, I need a bigger house.

10 2.40%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 191

User Info Menu

Hmm? Good question. Here's another way of looking at things. In a disaster, say, a fire, which guitar(s) go out the window with you?

If things are bad enough that I have to bail out of the window, I will help get wifey out, first. Then, I will hand her the Unity. Then, the dogs. Then, I'm out.

The other guitars will have to be replaced. The Unity, though, is where I can grab it and go.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Hmm? Good question. Here's another way of looking at things. In a disaster, say, a fire, which guitar(s) go out the window with you?

If things are bad enough that I have to bail out of the window, I will help get wifey out, first. Then, I will hand her the Unity. Then, the dogs. Then, I'm out.

The other guitars will have to be replaced. The Unity, though, is where I can grab it and go.
    Well funny you should mention--I've actually lived that. Had to evacuate twice for fires. The last time we had 20 minutes to get out--Animals first--hitched up the trailer to the truck and loaded 3 horses into a 2 horse trailer, 2 dogs and a cat in the back of my wife's SUV, and enough room in the horse trailer's storage compartment for a few instruments. I chose the ones that were nearly irreplaceable, or that had the most meaning to me. I still have all but one (a Bigsby steel)--and 3 are my "coffin" guitars. Left more instruments, a brand new car, and a new tractor behind. Fortunately our home was saved (barely)--with repairable damage and no harm to the vehicles or instruments--but it was a scary 6 days we were evacuated with no knowledge of what the status was!!

I'm needing nothing, and can cover any gig with what I have. Yet GAS continues--suffered it since 1972 lol.
    Last edited by stringmaster; 05-19-2017 at 01:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I recently sold a couple to help finance my Gibson L4 so I'm down to 4 guitars now -- all archtops. It's crazy, I don't think I've been without a solid body electric guitar since 1976! I'd like to pick something up, maybe a Tele, but at the moment every time I play any electric I just can't stand the way it sounds. I'm completely over the moon for archtop hollow body guitars, been that way for a couple of years now. At this point if I took a gig where I needed an electric I would just use my Guild Starfire III. But I just don't seem interested in playing any style of music where I would need to do that so I'm good for now.

User Info Menu

I doubt I would have time to get any instruments out. My daughter comes first and then two cats would be hard to wrangle I imagine. But if I had time I would have to grab my upright bass next because it is the most expensive and I use it for gigs more, then is sacrifice the electric basses and grab my L5 and Ibanez 2635 (two hands and all) since those two guitars could cover anything. And maybe the Bud since it is small enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Fun thread!

I have more guitars than I had realised. For the last while I have had a rule where if I get another guitar, another needs to be sold.

Main gigging guitars:
    • 201? Gretsch G-400 Synchromatic w/ floating CC pickup
    • 1973 Gibson Les Paul Recording
    • 20?? Fender MIJ 62 Telecaster Custom Reissue w/ Bill Lawrence Microcoils.

Other stuff:
    • c. 1975 Greco ES-175 copy w/ Bill Lawrence L-90s. This guitar doesn't get played much. Decided I'm not all that fond of the humbucker/175 sound. It's still a very nice guitar.
    • 1958 Hofner Senator - a fun acoustic archtop. Very loud, great gypsy jazz lead instrument.
    • 2011 Gibson L6-S reissue. Was one of my main gigging guitars until I got the LP Recording. The L6-S is a great guitar.
    • Gitane DG-300 John Jorgenson - a very nice Selmer copy.
    • Squier Bass VI - this thing is possibly the coolest 'toy' ever. It's a seriously good quality instrument, good as a bass and good as a baritone guitar.
    • "Electa" chinese made archtop. It's a solid wood guitar - I routed the top and fitted P-90s to it. It's a bit of a 'clunker' and probably will never get played again. It was my first decent archtop guitar. Probably will keep it as it's not worth anything anyway.

So 9 all up.

Saving for an Epiphone Triumph - so when I pull the trigger on one of those, I think the Greco will have to go.

User Info Menu

I have a GB100, been under the bed for nearly 20 years, played twice.
    Cheap Epi Regent from 90s, that is what i use, has never let me down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjazz
    I have a GB100, been under the bed for nearly 20 years, played twice.
    Cheap Epi Regent from 90s, that is what i use, has never let me down.
    Emperor or Zephyr Regent?

Just curious...

B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Four guitars and a bass. Will be adding another guitar soon.

(If I had to grab one to save in a fire, it would be the Ibanez JSM-10, at least until I get my Joecaster built. But I'd probably go back and find the Tele after the fire. I mean, it's a Tele. It might be a little black around the edges, but that just adds character. It's not like a fire could, you know, HURT it or anything.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    Emperor or Zephyr Regent?

Just curious...

B.

Emperor

User Info Menu

Emperor
    Nice. I was looking at those and a Zephyr made its presence known, and was too good to pass on. Those late 90s Peerless guitars are nice. How Many Guitars Do You Own?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    Nice. I was looking at those and a Zephyr made its presence known, and was too good to pass on. Those late 90s Peerless guitars are nice. How Many Guitars Do You Own?

The stock pick-up did not do it for me, i changed it to a Mimesis from day one.

User Info Menu

5, but all different:
    1 Acoustic archtop
    1 Electric archtop
    1 Solid
    1 Flattop
    1 Nylon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    5, but all different:
    1 Acoustic archtop
    1 Electric archtop
    1 Solid
    1 Flattop
    1 Nylon
    That has been my approach, but I have three archtops all with different pick up configurations and a 12 string Jazzmaster partscaster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Nobody has more than 50?
    I have 63, but 12 are basses
    6 are archtop guitars

User Info Menu

I have three. Two Eastman archtops and a warmth parts tele. All play delightfully (or will when I get done fiddling with them), but can be readily replaced should disaster strike. I have my hands full enough getting the cats to safety...

User Info Menu

The stock pick-up did not do it for me, i changed it to a Mimesis from day one.
    I'll never know if I would have liked the stock unit, as a previous owner swapped in a (supposed) Gibson P94. I've yet to pull it to verify. It reminds me of the units that Guitar Fetish sells...

How Many Guitars Do You Own?-img_8733-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm in the 6-20 bracket

1965 Gibson ES335
    2014 Gibson ES330 Wildwood spec
    2002 Gibson Les Paul R8 Custom Shop
    SVL Sixty One (Stratocaster)
    SVL Supernatural (Telecaster)
    2000 Fender Custom Shop Tele (on the chopping block)
    Koll Troubadour
    Lowden Baritone
    2000 Martin D28
    2010 Taylor 612CE
    2008 National Style O
    2002 Nash PB63
    Rhodes Mark 7 Active Midi

No Archtops I know

I'm searching for a 175 at present. Need to try before I buy and they are a bit thin on the ground in Australia

User Info Menu

7 here, not counting an old beater flat top that has been in a closet for years

1 classical, 2 arch top (one of which is a nylon stringed instrument), 1 tele, 1 solid baby, one semi-hollow T style, 1 dread.

While completely unnecessary, these fit my moods and styles well.

User Info Menu

4 here:

2 electric archtops
    1 flattop
    1 nylon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Runepune
    I'm at 13 stringed things now...methinks. But they're all needed to make a living! If anything, I'll add more. A weissenborn would be nice

Strat
    Tele
    SG (for slide)
    Archtop jazzbox
    Solid jazzbox
    Baryton guitar
    Jazz bass
    Shortscale acoustic
    Dreadnought
    Nylon
    Dobro
    Mandolin
    6-string banjo
    hmm, I always though solid jazzbox = Tele

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    hmm, I always though solid jazzbox = Tele
    Not those with 9's on them

User Info Menu

4 which are acoustic only, 12 electric basses, 48 electric guitars. 7 of them all are archtops.

Maybe i can mention i have only 6 amps, 5 for guitars, 1 for bass. 2 of them are tube amps.

Update november 2018: Höfner J-17 archtop jazzbox in, Gretsch G2420T Walnut archtop Bigsby equipped rock guitar in. 50 electric guitars total now. Warning for soon incoming Gretsch or Höfner archtop bass. 9 archtops total.
    Gretsch playability and tone are great positive surprises! Not at all what was said in the net when Streamline series was released a couple of years ago. Gretsch must have updated them, very successfully. Youtube review by Anderton`s Britons is spot on.
    Attached Images Attached Images How Many Guitars Do You Own?-img_1528h1080b-jpg 
    Last edited by savofenno; 11-06-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: update

User Info Menu

I got four; three electrics and one acoustic. Variety is fine and all, but I feel that this is a bit too much for me, so two of them are for sale. One electric and one acoustic is enough for my needs.

User Info Menu

one hollow body (Airline JR Rodriguez Tuxedo) one solid body (Fender American Vintage 65 Jazzmaster) one acoustic (66 Fender Wildwood VI) two amps (fender 64 custom hand wired deluxe reverb and fender 57 custom pro) and a tascam 388 with custom built tube reverbammo and fulltone tube tape echo in the effects loops. I keep telling myself that i am done.

User Info Menu

I have a few guitars, I don't own any gits, I don't even know what a git is.