The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: How many gits do you own?

Voters
416. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Real players only need one

17 4.09%
  • 2-5 I One home, a couple for giggin, y'know

157 37.74%
  • 6-20 Did wifey see the last new one?

204 49.04%
  • 21-50 I think I need an intervention

28 6.73%
  • 50+ Crap, I need a bigger house.

10 2.40%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 191

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    In 1979 I was living on Stuart Street in South Berkeley. Two doors down at the corner was a Pacific Stereo. I bought a stylus from them for my Pioneer Turntable. I had a Marrantz 2270 Reciever and two JBL L-40 speakers. That is as audiophile as I ever got.

What year was the 63 Super 400 offered to you for 3K? What a buy that would have been.
    Early 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Well, back in 1989, a Super 400CESN carried an MSRP of $10000 with a MAP of $7000 and street of about $5600 to $6000. So, $3000 for a 1963 S400CES would have been a lot in the years before 1989. A pair of Audio Research Corp. Classic 150 monobloks had a retail of $9995, Classic 120 $5995 in 1989.

I just took stock. 45.
    I was a Manley Reference 450 mono block guy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Early 2002.
    $3000 in 2002? Man, you shoulda...

I was a Manley Reference 450 mono block guy.
    David started VTL in the UK before he upped sticks and found a bigger market in the USA. I much prefer Conrad-Johnson and ARC meself. Had an ARC SP14 and a CJ EV20 and stupidly traded both away for a POS that I won't mention.

If you find an EV20, please let me know. I want it back.

User Info Menu

Well, back in 1989, a Super 400CESN carried an MSRP of $10000 with a MAP of $7000 and street of about $5600 to $6000. So, $3000 for a 1963 S400CES would have been a lot in the years before 1989. A pair of Audio Research Corp. Classic 150 monobloks had a retail of $9995, Classic 120 $5995 in 1989.

I just took stock. 45.

45 !!! Blimey oh Reilly Jabs, I thought that I had been extravagant when I had 10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    45 !!! Blimey oh Reilly Jabs, I thought that I had been extravagant when I had 10
    Quantity over quality. Half of them are Asian boxes which are good players. The other half are lower end American guitars. The L5 WM, the LeGrand and the Super 400CC are the only ones that cost over $5000 each. Everything else is well below that.

I do admit I have a problem: bipolar disorder.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-01-2016 at 05:10 AM.

User Info Menu

"Quantity over quality"

I'm not sure of that any more. There are some Ibanez, Gretsch, Epiphones and others that not only play as good as my Gibsons but have appointments that Gibson and Hetitage only put on higher end models like F hole, neck, and head binding. Some may say appointments are not a biggie, to them I say Ok, would you buy an L5 without them at the same uplufted price? Nah, I don't think so.

The real key IMO is how long do "better quality" gits hold up over more value line models? But remember that less expensive gits "stand on the shoulders of a giant" in construction techniques and materials hard learned by Gibson over many decades.

User Info Menu

Ok, after I started to get into guitars just for the sake of loving the instruments themselves and an admiration for the craft, I have aquired 10 nice archtops (that I all play). I do not foresee to buy another (and I am totally out of space). No, of course, I don't need that many, but I enjoy having them - guitars are fun and also beautiful to look at.

There are also some solidbodies and semis that I play rock music with.

I had my share of 'bang for the buck' (IMHO the 'almost as good as the real thing' attitude always leads to buying the 'real thing' eventually), custom instruments (because Gibson or Fender or whoever did not get the specs quite right - ha ha ha), went through a versatility phase (have to have a guitar with four pickups and a million different voices) - and at the end of the day settled with the classic designs that are classic for a reason. As Jeff always says 'versatility is overrated'.

I guess that is also why the semis get the least amount of play. If I want to jazz, I'll grab an archtop, if I want to rock out I go for the Les Paul or Strat or Tele but the semis kind of fall behind a bit. i will play them and I do love them but somehow I cannot find an area where they are clearly 'number 1'. How is that for you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    I guess that is also why the semis get the least amount of play. If I want to jazz, I'll grab an archtop, if I want to rock out I go for the Les Paul or Strat or Tele but the semis kind of fall behind a bit. i will play them and I do love them but somehow I cannot find an area where they are clearly 'number 1'. How is that for you?
    Same here. One of my first guitars was a semi-hollow Gibson. I loved it dearly for a decade or so ... but as my guitar collection grew I found it gathering dust and eventually sold it.

Still if I was to own only one guitar then it would be a semi of some sort.

User Info Menu

Just when I was thinking that I had way too many guitars, I am delighted to see that others have gone way beyond me in terms of quantity...

I currently have 2 - Archtops, 1 - Semi-Hollowbody, 2 - solid bodies, 6 - Flat Tops, 2 - Nylon Strings and 1 Gypsy (Total of 14 guitars). Even at this quantity, playing them all with regularity can be a challenge sometimes. I tend to swap some in and out of rotation every few weeks.

I obviously do not "need" a collection of this size, but it is one of my great passions and playing is a great joy. All of my guitars are luthier made custom guitars at this point. The process of collaborating on a design with an artisan and creating a bespoke instrument also is a fantastic experience to itself. Some day I suspect a downsizing in number may occur. I don't look forward to the idea of that day because I love them all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns

I think most semis are just gorgeous, but I can't say I have ever had one as my #1 either. I love having them, but I need to work to get them to fit most of the time when I know a solid body or archtop would do a better job. Funny that And (of course) a semi was the last guitar I purchased!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    In 1979 I was living on Stuart Street in South Berkeley. Two doors down at the corner was a Pacific Stereo. I bought a stylus from them for my Pioneer Turntable. I had a Marrantz 2270 Reciever and two JBL L-40 speakers. That is as audiophile as I ever got.

What year was the 63 Super 400 offered to you for 3K? What a buy that would have been.
    I lived in that area of Berkeley a few years after that. I think that I bought my VTL pre-amp at that Pacific Stereo. Used but mint. Still use it today.

User Info Menu

David started VTL in the UK before he upped sticks and found a bigger market in the USA. I much prefer Conrad-Johnson and ARC meself...
    I had a couple of VTL English 100 mono blocks for many years. I had them recapped once by VTL. A couple years later one developed problems and I unloaded them. They were OK, but not point to point and servicing them became impossible. The VTL pre-amp that I use now is much simpler, but I haven't had any problems with it except to replace the knobs. I had a Canadian guy build me an integrated power amp. I forget which power tubes it uses, but they are not all that common. I have many back up sets though. Nice amp for under $2k. Came from this place.

http://idealinnovations.biz/

These are the power tubes:

JAN 6AV5GA/6FW5 power output tubes
    Last edited by lammie200; 11-01-2016 at 01:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I guess I have about a dozen, plus a charrango, mandolin and other odd stringed instruments. They're all different and cover different musical needs. If I'm not playing one for a long time, I sell it.
    I'm pretty busy, in 4 bands plus other projects. I find myself playing my '64 ES 335 on most gigs.

User Info Menu

$3000 in 2002? Man, you shoulda...

David started VTL in the UK before he upped sticks and found a bigger market in the USA. I much prefer Conrad-Johnson and ARC meself. Had an ARC SP14 and a CJ EV20 and stupidly traded both away for a POS that I won't mention.

If you find an EV20, please let me know. I want it back.
    If I'd have known guitars in '02 I'd have snapped it up.

I'll keep an eye out for ya. Have you been hounding Audio Asylum and Audiogon? After being sold Audiogon doesn't get the traffic it once did, but occasionally out of nowhere nice pieces are listed for sale at both locations.

I'm still a fan of CJ gear. At one time CJ made some great sounding SS amps too.

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I had a couple of VTL English 100 mono blocks for many years. I had them recapped once by VTL. A couple years later one developed problems and I unloaded them. They were OK, but not point to point and servicing them became impossible. The VTL pre-amp that I use now is much simpler, but I haven't had any problems with it except to replace the knobs. I had a Canadian guy build me an integrated power amp. I forget which power tubes it uses, but they are not all that common. I have many back up sets though. Nice amp for under $2k. Came from this place.

Ideal Innovations - High Quality Low Cost Vacuum Tube Audio Amplifiers and Pre-amps

These are the power tubes:

JAN 6AV5GA/6FW5 power output tubes
    VTL rules!

If those are Russian tubes, which I'd not be surprised, they're available. Great looking amps from Ideal Innovations!

User Info Menu

VTL 300 Deluxe Monoblocks Signature Tube Amp 300wpc New Vintage Tubes - $2499 (Henderson)

How Many Guitars Do You Own?-image-jpeg

VTL 300 Deluxe Monoblocks Signature Tube Amp 300wpc New Vintage Tubes

User Info Menu

12. And sometimes 10 too many.

User Info Menu

Only 7. 3 Gibson's, and 4 miscellaneous others. Only 1 is an 18". This time last year I had 4 18" archtops and 11 guitars total...So I'm doing much better.

User Info Menu

Only 7. 3 Gibson's, and 4 miscellaneous others. Only 1 is an 18". This time last year I had 4 18" archtops and 11 guitars total...So I'm doing much better.
    It sounds like you're in therapy :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    It sounds like you're in therapy :-)
    The first step in dealing with a problem is admitting you have a problem.

I don't have a problem.

Now my dealing can be with gear aquisitions!
    Last edited by Cavalier; 11-06-2016 at 12:35 AM.

User Info Menu

I went with 6-20 but did not really want to count -- if the total exceeded 20 I'd have to acknowledge a problem.
    Some are old and incomplete, some are new build projects, and I probably have an equal number in heavy use rotation as there are in the category "really should put this out for sale".

John

User Info Menu

A Strat, a Cordoba GK, a Squier bass.

User Info Menu

Only 1 guitar............................................ ........(at at time!)

User Info Menu

I have 9 electric guitars and 3 acoustic guitars. Of the electrics I have one archtop hollow body and semihollow. The semihollow is a favorite for jazz because it will do fusion, blues, R&B, funk, gospel, and rock. I bought the ES-347 in 1993, and it had Dirty Fingers pickups with a coil tap. Recently I put a Classic '57 4 wire pickup in the neck position, and my band mates are clamoring for it. It became instantly jazzier and sounds great. It is more a 355 in sound, and shares hardware with a BBKING, but has f- holes.

I think if I have one version of a type of guitar then it becomes a unique and more treasured instrument. While the ES-347 isn't a #1 per se, it is in my hands a lot, depending on the selected songs. I 'm just glad I have Ebony in the fingerboard on this one, just for bragging rights. I have richlite on a Martin D-16GT, and it looks and feels fine, but if you're paying a premium for a nice guitar, ebony should be there.

The one archtop hollow body, an Ibanez AFJ95, is a great example of quality from China and QC from Ibanez. I am playing this one a lot, and the expressionist line is not underrated.

The Baja Tele is so good I don't think I need a second version, unlike the two strats I own. Both Strats are like ham and eggs sonically speaking, and one more suited for rock(1970 version), and the other doing smooth jazz, with Lace Sensors. A similar situation is between the LP 60s Tribute and the Yamaha SBG2100, a LP clone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by qblue
    ...and the other doing smooth jazz, with Lace Sensors...
    This is good to hear. I just ordered some Lace Holy Grails to replace the EMG SAV's in my Strat. I got tired of taking it all apart to deal with the batteries.

User Info Menu

Currently 8 :

- Gibson ES175D 1961
    - Ibanez MC400NT 1978
    - Ibanez AR420 2014
    - Ibanez 2619 Prestige 2016
    - Peavey Omniac JD 2012
    - Charvel Model 4 1987
    - Martin JM jumbo 2001
    - Martin J16-12GT 2013

Plus Hofner violin bass and 1977 Ibanez Mandolin

Whatever the number (of guitars), it's always one too many for my wife and one too few for me
    ;-)
    Last edited by Ray175; 12-11-2016 at 04:16 AM.

joaopaz Guest
    I'm surprised that there are some 7% of guys here in my range.
    I got to 40... sold 11... bought 1....
    bought another 1 today.
    But I feel I'm on the right track now - I intend to keep selling, believe me, just changing strings, keeping them all into playing condition (I think that happened only for a couple of days two years ago) drives me nuts.