The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: How many gits do you own?

Voters
416. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Real players only need one

17 4.09%
  • 2-5 I One home, a couple for giggin, y'know

157 37.74%
  • 6-20 Did wifey see the last new one?

204 49.04%
  • 21-50 I think I need an intervention

28 6.73%
  • 50+ Crap, I need a bigger house.

10 2.40%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 191

User Info Menu

Six, but one acoustic was for special purpose and is on the way out. 3 nylons are too many and one needs to leave. So, down to 4, but one more archtop needs to be considered. Still crazy, but trying to deal with it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

5 electric, 3 acoustic

User Info Menu

18, including 6 archtops and basses. Only buying 7 strings now, in process of divesting most to have a custom 7 built; hopefully, that will stop the madness. Always figured I'd pass them down but none of the grandkids have any interest, so decided to make myself happy. Still looking for a few 7s I don't have yet. Student player/collector, I guess.

User Info Menu

Four guitars and a bass.

User Info Menu

Four archtops, four tele-styles, two strat-styles, two flat tops, five nylon strings (one fretless, one mini, two travel), one bass. Total of 19. Wife is totally ok with two per year since I rarely buy over $2K instruments. Clean/simple living, no other hobbies, working 60 hours a week regularly and the same car for the last 12 years all help :-)
    Last edited by medblues; 10-30-2016 at 09:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I only have one guitar, unless you count the other10 that aren't telecasters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I only have one guitar, unless you count the other10 that aren't telecasters.
    Correct answer. I ammend my total to ONE as well.

User Info Menu

I'm a lefty. If I were right handed, I would have owned a thousand guitars by now.

User Info Menu

Gibsons: 175, 137, 345, 325, LPJrSp, L-48; Fender: Tele Custom, Jaguar, Electric Classical; Martin: GE D-18, '30's Tenor, Electric Dreadnaught (160 something); PRS: '86 Custom 24 10-Top; Guild: 12st Jumbo; Epiphone: Zenith, Emperor Regent, LP; Dobro: 33H; Yairi: Classical; Washburn: '35 Archtop; Kalamazoo: '35 Archtop; Ibanez: G95, AFJ85; Washburn: bass; Fake: Tele (3 pups, great neck); 6-string Banjo; So, basically, a couple dozen, give or take. Don't get me started on amps....

This is after thinning the herd considerably. I don't have a collection so much as an accumulation. The idea was to have on hand the greatest possible variety of tones and voices for orchestrational purposes in the studio. There are odds and ends and oddities as well.

I don't need an intervention, but I could use a little more space...
    Last edited by citizenk74; 10-31-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Punctuation

User Info Menu

I've got 2 players (Modded Mike Stern tele and a stock PRS SC), a couple of basses and a bunch of project guitars that I work on (electronics, frets, setup) just for fun.

I've been thinking about getting a 3rd player, but I have to justify it to myself for quality and use (don't buy mediocre guitars just out of impulse + something different from the 2 current).

Some years ago I had 10-20 guitars and basses, but then I realized that a couple of very good guitars that you actually play is better than a herd of mid level guitars that don't get played. Result: I play more and get more out of my current stuff.

User Info Menu

After going through MANY guitars, I've "settled" on my ES175 and Baja Tele.

Cover all my bases nicely.

User Info Menu

Hi all....

....not posting so much but do enjoy the forum and discussion.

I've got about 18....mostly arch tops including Epiphones and Gibsons circa 1932-52 and some NY era and early Hoboken Guilds.

User Info Menu

6-20 was winning for a while, but now 2-5 is pulling ahead!

User Info Menu

I put 2-5, but I actually have 6. One is a solidbody with no pickups in it that I've been meaning to get to... So a '78 Ibanez 175 copy (FA-100), an new hollow P90 laden 330 copy (also Ibanez) a PRS CU24, a Strat and 2 superstrats. Then I have 3 basses. And 4 synthesizers( and a piano). And a PA sysytem. And a 9 piece drumset. In my livingroom

User Info Menu

One pure acoustic, two steel, two solid, two archtops... surely this is NOT excessive.
    Attached Images Attached Images How Many Guitars Do You Own?-img_2459-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    I put 2-5, but I actually have 6. One is a solidbody with no pickups in it that I've been meaning to get to... So a '78 Ibanez 175 copy (FA-100), an new hollow P90 laden 330 copy (also Ibanez) a PRS CU24, a Strat and 2 superstrats. Then I have 3 basses. And 4 synthesizers( and a piano). And a PA sysytem. And a 9 piece drumset. In my livingroom

I'd practice hockey someplace else, just a thought.

User Info Menu

Synthesizers attract hockey players, and I had a window open that day. True Story

User Info Menu

Wow... Now I actually started counting...not good...

8 Archtops (7 Gibson, 1 Emperor)
    1 Guild Flattop
    2 Classical
    4 Fenders (Strat, Tele, Jazzmaster and P-bass)
    1 Schecter Hellraiser (WTF??)

16 Total

...but didn't count 1 travel guitar, a sweet Kay cello, 2 clarinets and 3 mandolins...

I am in need of an intervention... This is my cry for help!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I have 9. THEY all serve different purposes, so it's ok, right?

Right?
    Just being different from one another fits my MO as well.
    Last edited by lammie200; 10-31-2016 at 01:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papawooly
    Wow... Now I actually started counting...not good...

8 Archtops (7 Gibson, 1 Emperor)
    1 Guild Flattop
    2 Classical
    4 Fenders (Strat, Tele, Jazzmaster and P-bass)
    1 Schecter Hellraiser (WTF??)

16 Total

...but didn't count 1 travel guitar, a sweet Kay cello, 2 clarinets and 3 mandolins...

I am in need of an intervention... This is my cry for help!
    Tell me that Hellraiser is a 7 string

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Tell me that Hellraiser is a 7 string
    HaHa!! Nice catch!! Actually it is a 6-string... but my Headbanger buddy tuned low E to a D
    to get the desired effect...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    Interesting that nobody has one guitar. Years ago that was the norm. I played for decades before buying a spare guitar. Anybody else remember the 60s 70s differently? You just owned the best guitar you could afford.
    I'm in the over 21 category and the only reason for me to own one guitar in the late 60s-70s was because I was too broke to afford more than one guitar. In the early 70s in order to get another guitar I had to trade or sell the one I already had and don't get me started on all the bad trades/sales of future collectibles I made during those years. I got up to about 6 in the late 70's before going on a 20 year hiatus. I didn't sell or buy another guitar until the 2000s
    Last edited by rob taft; 10-31-2016 at 05:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    When I was researching one of my guitars, one of the prior owners told me that he has about 350 guitars. Some guys are hoarders. I had a business partner in the 80's who had about 300 cars. He owned three warehouses that he used to store them. While I think anyone with 50+ guitars is a hoarder, the same could be said about any of us with more than 5.
    Back in my audiophile days I had a good friend, who while being semi retired, back in the 70's ran the Pacific Stereo chain of stores very prominent on the West coast. You may remember them? Anyway, Jim needed my help man handling a pair of vintage speakers some guy in Seattle was selling, who after the dot.com bust had fallen on hard times. This guy had acquired some very very high dollar audio gear.

So Jim and I get to the guys house and I'm standing around outside waiting for Jim to negotiate the deal. 10 minutes later Jim comes out and says okay follow me downstairs. But to get to the guys audio room we had to pass through his guitar collection room.

This guy had well over 100 guitars. I knew nothing about guitars, but I knew what a Super 400 was. Jim says, want to check out some of his guitars? I said *ell yeah! Next thing I know I've got a 63 Super 400 in my lap that looked like a guitar a collector would own. Jim said it was available for $3,000. I rebuked it, as $3k was the going rate for a used Class A amplifier!

Impressive collection nonetheless.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Back in my audiophile days I had a good friend, who while being semi retired, back in the 70's ran the Pacific Stereo chain of stores very prominent on the West coast. You may remember them?

Next thing I know I've got a 63 Super 400 in my lap that looked like a guitar a collector would own. Jim said it was available for $3,000. I rebuked it, as $3k was the going rate for a used Class A amplifier!

Impressive collection nonetheless.
    In 1979 I was living on Stuart Street in South Berkeley. Two doors down at the corner was a Pacific Stereo. I bought a stylus from them for my Pioneer Turntable. I had a Marrantz 2270 Reciever and two JBL L-40 speakers. That is as audiophile as I ever got.

What year was the 63 Super 400 offered to you for 3K? What a buy that would have been.

User Info Menu

Well, back in 1989, a Super 400CESN carried an MSRP of $10000 with a MAP of $7000 and street of about $5600 to $6000. So, $3000 for a 1963 S400CES would have been a lot in the years before 1989. A pair of Audio Research Corp. Classic 150 monobloks had a retail of $9995, Classic 120 $5995 in 1989.

I just took stock. 45.