The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 67

User Info Menu

Just a strat. I haven't played electric guitar in over 15 years and it kind of scares me.

Fender Stratocaster-strat1-jpgFender Stratocaster-strat1-jpg

Not sure what to with this so I'm wanking away. I don't like amps so I'm glad I kept this Boss ME80. It sounds OK for what it is.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats Steve. The Strat is the worlds most popular electric guitar for good reason. They are great. I own two of them. They were originally developed as a Western Swing guitar (which is jazz of a sort) and shipped with 12 guage flats. On many newer Strats, the pups and nuts are set for 10's or lighter. Modern American Strats are routed for a variety of pups. With a humbucker in the neck position and flatwound strings, they can be a pretty excellent jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

I love Strats -- there's one in my near future (4-6 months). A buddy of mine stopped in at work and showed me one he's putting on the block, an Am Std (04, I think he said), gig-wear, but beautiful frets, a rosie fretboard (I prefer them to the maple), and a nice price. Alas, the ducats aren't happening right now, else I'd have brought it home.

You're right they make good jazzers with some mods, especially a neck humbucker. Even an SC there can pull some passable jazz tones if you massage your amp enough.

Congrats on yours, and make some magic with it!
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 09-28-2016 at 08:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Wanking away?

User Info Menu

I like the look of that one! The black with a maple board is iconic.

Congrats, Steve! Long may she run!

User Info Menu

Nice guitar,Steve. Strats are sweet. Ergonomically excellent, especially with the modern bridge yours has, tonally versatile with the 5-way switch which ditto, and the remarkable, under-appreciated secret sauce that is the Strat vibrato system.

If it 'twere mine ('tis not, more's the pity), and I wanted a jazzier tone, I would have the nut reworked to take .011s or .012s, flats or half rounds or ground rounds, depending. Then I would adjust the vibrato springs (all five) to allow just a little "float" of the bridge assembly above the body. A 16th" or so is plenty. Then I would take the vibrato arm and put it someplace safe. Why, you ask? Because I like to use systems like this not as pitch changers, but as tonal enhancers, or more specifically decay modulators. The combination of block, springs, and strings creates a more complex decay than a hardtail or fully blocked system, albeit with a slight loss of sustain, which in a jazz context is not such a bad thing(YMMV).

In any case, congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

A strat is a good axe to have in the quiver. You can pretty much do it all on one of those.

I too just aquired a "strat". I walked by a yard sale on my block and couldn't resist the Squire Affinity Stat with amp and case for $50. It's also black/maple and plays amazingly well for a bottom feeder.

User Info Menu

To give an opposing perspective...

I have a few strats, they are fun but being mainly a Gibson player I find going between the two unprofitable. I just play Gibsons better. In order for me to play a Strat well I would have to stop playing Gibsons... not gonna happen.

To me Strats are cookie cutter gits, other than the neck I find them voiced so consistant they're boring. As evidence of that there are no "reissue" pickups, only those that want to differentiate themselves from the strat sound... generally unsuccessfully I might add.

To me an ideal strat would be a hardtail with an after market fatter "G" type set neck with HB's , so why bother, I already have that with Gibson :-)

Gads, did you ever see a player whamming the trem? Jeez, why not do guitar hero instead? LEARN TO PLAY!!!

I especially LOVE the painted models... so much love for invisible wood.

Anyway, nobody has ever smashed an L5, Byrdland, or other "quality" instrument on stage eh? I guess that says the contempt for strats by strat players runs deep :-)

Sorry folks, this was too much fun to let pass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I would have the nut reworked to take .011s or .012s, flats or half rounds or ground rounds, depending. Then I would adjust the vibrato springs (all five) to allow just a little "float" of the bridge assembly above the body. A 16th" or so is plenty. Then I would take the vibrato arm and put it someplace safe. Why, you ask? Because I like to use systems like this not as pitch changers, but as tonal enhancers, or more specifically decay modulators. The combination of block, springs, and strings creates a more complex decay than a hardtail or fully blocked system, albeit with a slight loss of sustain, which in a jazz context is not such a bad thing(YMMV).
    This is exactly what I did to mine. I think it provides a wee bit of internal reverb that makes a strat sound "stratty" to my ears.

I don't think it's particularly difficult to get a good jazz tone out of them, provided your idea of good jazz tone is expansive enough to include a little "cluck". Neck pickup. Volume knob about 5, tone knob about 2. Appropriate amp setup. It's not going to sound like an archtop, but it'll be just fine.

User Info Menu

Nice axe, Steve!

you know, I did the same thing some years ago...after about 10 years not playing a solid body electric, I got myself a strat (only I got a cheap strat knockoff, not a real one)

I spent some time listening to nothing but Hendrix and Coltrane

I wanted to get my money's worth out of the whammy bar

but it looks like you are getting geared up to move to Vegas for sure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    To me Strats are cookie cutter gits, other than the neck I find them voiced so consistant they're boring. As evidence of that there are no "reissue" pickups, only those that want to differentiate themselves from the strat sound... generally unsuccessfully I might add.

The Fender Custom shop 57/62 pups are as much a reissue of Fenders classic pups as is Gibson's 57 classics. Your evidence has been refuted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The Fender Custom shop 57/62 pups are as much a reissue of Fenders classic pups as is Gibson's 57 classics. Your evidence has been refuted.
    There's also about a billion aftermarket reproductions of classic strat pickups.

User Info Menu

WOW, I stand corrected... reissuing a sound that hasn't changed in some 60 years must have been challenging

User Info Menu

...To me an ideal strat would be a hardtail...
    I have a tuxedo hardtail Strat that I assembled. All the specs are very particular to me - active single coils, wired for stereo with two jacks, neck profile, etc. I will never sell it and love to play it when I want to play the most comfortable playing guitar that I have. That said, every time I see a video of Jeff Beck I think about a whammy. Maybe someday I will start that project.

User Info Menu

WOW, I stand corrected... reissuing a sound that hasn't changed in some 60 years must have been challenging
    That's some set of ears you've got there. *Eyeroll*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I like the look of that one! The black with a maple board is iconic.

Congrats, Steve! Long may she run!
    Yep, next to natural Ash body with tortoise pickguard and maple neck, Black on maple is my favorite looking Strat!

Django said the electric guitar was a "beast" when Les Paul asked him about it. Hard for an acoustic player to make the jump to electric a visa versa. Takes some practice. I can seamlessly go back and forth now but not always. Enjoy that sweet looking Strat!

...oh, and I can go from Strats and Teles to LPs and L5s with ZERO issues as can most of my friends. Sorry Gnappi, I think it is all in your head buddy!
    Last edited by Ken Olmstead; 09-28-2016 at 12:29 PM.

User Info Menu

I think it's pretty classless to crap on a guy's NGD thread, Gnappi.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Agreed. Pretty dick move, there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Olmstead
    ...oh, and I can go from Strats and Teles to LPs and L5s with ZERO issues as can most of my friends. Sorry Gnappi, I think it is all in your head buddy!
    I can definitely feel a difference in going between my Fenders and my Ibby. Takes all of about 30 seconds to work through, though. In my fusion group, I used to gig with a PRS and a Strat. You could definitely feel the difference in string spacing and fretboard radius, but I don't recall ever having problems switching between them from song to song.

It's one thing to have a preference. Quite another to be a snob.

User Info Menu

All three of my Fenders have a 9.5 radius board with jumbo frets. A 7.5 radius Fender with skinny frets is a bit tough for me, but is certainly adaptable.

BTW, the bridge on Steve's Strat looks like the classic 6 point bridge with steel saddles. Nothing modern about it at all....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Thump, I guess you may need to re-read my post, I said...

"Sorry folks, this was too much fun to let pass".

I was having a bit of fun, not trying to crap on his NGD.

I even put a :-) in the post, in case some miss the netspeak parlance it means to put some levity in the sentence.

But as in many things written true words are spoken in jest like the comment about L5's not being smashed on stage, sorry I farted in church huh? :-)

User Info Menu

Love Strats. Coincedentaly, I had not played mine in about a year, got it out this past week and in no time remembered why I love a well made Stratocaster. It is a pleasure to play, lightening fast, the weight and balance is excellent, not to mention the way the shape lies against your body . . . it's hard to put it down.

User Info Menu

Thump, I guess you may need to re-read my post, I said...

"Sorry folks, this was too much fun to let pass".

I was having a bit of fun, not trying to crap on his NGD.

I even put a :-) in the post, in case some miss the netspeak parlance it means to put some levity in the sentence.

But as in many things written true words are spoken in jest like the comment about L5's not being smashed on stage, sorry I farted in church huh? :-)
    Whether you were trying or not, that's the effect you had. I interpreted your fun comment as "It's way too much fun to bash strats to leave a guy's NGD thread alone. So, you know, eff him."

IOW, you didn't "fart in church". You took a dump on the alter then said, "Hey, just kidding."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    IOW, you didn't "fart in church". You took a dump on the alter then said, "Hey, just kidding."
    I'm not getting in the middle of this but ...THAT was hilarious!! LOL!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Olmstead
    I'm not getting in the middle of this but ...THAT was hilarious!! LOL!!
    Thank you! I'll be here all week! Don't forget to tip your servers and bartenders!