The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 144

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    to follow up, my SG test drive left me less than inspired . . .
    gas went away and I walked home with no new guitar but still $$ in wallet

I tried out new standard, special & faded models & they were all OK,
    but none of them added anything to my sound that my Midtown Custom couldn't already do better.

so much for that little gas-driven tone search . . .
    Which SG model did you play?

in my search for a single coil solid body I plan to check out the 2016 SG Standard T with P90's.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yeah, I played the one with p90's too. I'm not much into p90's so I don't have much of an opinion on it.
    Lots of p90 options out there these days -- LP's, tele's, the SG, Midtown Standard (I believe), etc. I had a p90 LP special that sounded good -- I suppose I should have kept that one . . .

Currently, my only single coil guitar is a strat. My old house has noisy wiring that makes it hard for me to enjoy single coils much. Fortunately, the strat has reversed pickup so 2nd & 4th positions are hum cancelling -- and that's where the switch stays!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    yeah, I played the one with p90's too. I'm not much into p90's so I don't have much of an opinion on it.
    Lots of p90 options out there these days -- LP's, tele's, the SG, Midtown Standard (I believe), etc. I had a p90 LP special that sounded good -- I suppose I should have kept that one . . .

Currently, my only single coil guitar is a strat. My old house has noisy wiring that makes it hard for me to enjoy single coils much. Fortunately, the strat has reversed pickup so 2nd & 4th positions are hum cancelling -- and that's where the switch stays!
    I recently played the 2016 LP Tribute T with P90's, but I was really unimpressed with the satin finish. It was way too soft and had a lot of shop rash. If I am buying a brand new Gibby it has to look at least as good as my nine year old guitar at home. If the newer SG with P90's does not do it, I plan to go with an American made Tele.

User Info Menu

FWIIW - I took my (potentially - still ASAT trade pending) SG 61 RI strung with Pyramid pure nickel 10s
    to local jazz jam this week. Played it straight into older 150W Evans. Got pretty decent tone out of it -
    maybe not super jazzy but it was warm enough. God some positive feedback on the tone from friends at the jam.
    So I am seriously considering finalizing the deal - I think that with 11s it may be nice instrument - it is a bit
    neck heavy and the neck stick out of the body a lot. But the neck is fast and tone is even. And it is also quite
    light compared with eg Ibanez AS120, Strat or ASAT. So I may end up goind between SG and newly acquired
    Prestige Musician. I also own d'Angelico Excel but it is such feedback machine that I cannot take it to jam -
    way too easy for it to start howling.

User Info Menu

One of the all-mahogany les paul studios is basically the same thing. I own one and recomend it, unless you like the SG shape.

User Info Menu

I need some maple in my guitars, otherwise I have the impression (I might be impressionable) the sound is lacking "focus" or "firmness".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker
    In my opinion... if you use something other than Nancy-boy strings and close your eyes, wowie...
    Nancy-boy strings! I like you already, man.

To riff on Longways to Go's thread, what about a Flying V for jazz?
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-19-2016 at 08:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Just came across these:

Robot Check

Robot Check

Attachment 27756Why no love for the Gibson SG?-sg-book-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Great stuff -- it's got the three Ts. Impressive indeed.

SG player here. I've owned three over the years, including the Special Faded in my av, another SF about 6 years ago, and an 89 MiK Epi. Loved 'em all for different reason, played jazz on all of them at one point or another, though with nowhere near Boatheel's acumen. Very versatile guitars, much more so than is normally thought. Used to be a Pauler, but my first SG put an end to that.

User Info Menu

I see a lot of love for the Tele, but for me the SG was always the working man's two pickup guitar. They are both minimal slab guitars. They cost about the same (comparing Epis to Standard and Gibbies to American Standard). I always liked the shorter scale length, the crazy access to the higher frets, and the P90 pickups. Given all the interest on this board for P90's I would have thought the SG a natural choice.

For those of you who do gig and play on solid-bodies, is there some reason the SG doesn't make the grade but the Tele is the overwhelming choice?

I ask out of idle curiosity, but also hoping to hear that people actually LOVE to play their SG's, post a bunch of vids showing their SG's playing the jazz out of some gig, and post incredible pictures of their custom or home made SG's. Along the lines of the Tele Love thread, is there SG love in the crowd?

User Info Menu

Well, I used to have 2 SGs. The first one SG Celebrity, pretty rare series in the 90's, 2 humbuckers... I loved it when I was playing in rock/pop bands, but then I got more interested in hollows, particularly Gretsch, and sold it to buy one. I really miss that SG now

The 2nd one was with P90, I bought it on impulse, but I didn't like it that much, those P90 sounded kinda harsh on it. Sold, no regrets.

So as a jazz musician, I don't want to use SG in that application, if even for a reason when I grab one, I just wanna play rock licks up the neck, which is like a natural thing to do. But it doesn't inspire me to play jazz tunes. At all! Tone wise I believe you can make any guitar a jazz guitar through a right amp and enough tweaking. But I don't want my SG for jazz, I want it for rawk, because that's what it does best, dig? Give me one and I'll be too busy cranking out Back In Black or War Pigs to care to try Body And Soul on this beast.

At the same time somewhere someone is asking question on a rock guitar forum why no love for L5.....

User Info Menu

You really cannot beat a mahogany made guitar for tone. I had a LP studio all black goth/metal one in for a set up last year that was really lively. Even though its a LP shape I understand where you're coming from re; simple made and equipped guitars, I bonded with that LP and reluctantly gave it back to its owner.

Have you heard of Gordon Smith guitars from Manchester?

Why no love for the Gibson SG?-gs2-thick_f711ae73-1767-406a-9f99-012b91147a76_1024x1024-jpg
    Great workmanship and reasonable costs for a handmade guitar. He's been around for 30+ years and this style has not altered. I guess this is the type of every day workmanlike guitar you are referring to.

You don't see many of these on the used market.

User Info Menu

I've got two, both 1967, both Specials, though one is now in Standard spec with humbuckers, Vibrola etc.

Both produce some very nice jazz tones from the neck pickups.

Through my old Marshall, the white one does Pete Townsend remarkably well and the Cherry, early Clapton.

Win, win, win really

Why no love for the Gibson SG?-dsc_0972-jpg

User Info Menu

I have had just about every SG model except those with trems and I just could not bond with them.

I never really nailed down the reason, but of all the Gibson models I have played the SG is the one I will never buy again. Heck if I see one in a LGS I won't even pick one up to play.

User Info Menu

I used to have an SG Custom. It was a good jazz guitar. Looked like the Les Paul photos.

User Info Menu

That said, someone here seems to like them:
    Plays one all the time.

User Info Menu

I had an SG standard. Really loved the tone and the neck. But it was neck heavy when I used a strap (could have replaced the strap button). I also started to think it looked to mainstream and typical, and sold it to justify buying an ES175.

But it was a really great and versatile guitar. I used it much in a rock band I played in.

User Info Menu

I have a 68 Melody Maker, (SG bodied), see Avatar, which I played on for the longest time. Still have it now. When I started up again with Jazz lessons a couple of years back I was using it as a practice guitar and to take to lessons for which it worked just fine. It is the thinnest neck guitar I have and probably the lightest. But as for tone, there's just not much one can do to give it a nice Jazzy sound.
    I guess a pro can make any guitar sound good but since I am not one the MM is relegated to Rock and Blues where it sounds perfect.

User Info Menu

I just never got grabbed by the SG thing. I love them in the hands of Angus Young and Frank Zappa. Just not for me, I guess.

User Info Menu

The question we really should be asking is why no love for Flying V?

User Info Menu

Not to mention the glorious Firebird...nice mini humbucker there, great neck.

User Info Menu

neck heavy when standing, flimsy neck that doesn't work all that great with heavier strings.

I do like the sound. I'd rather play a mahogany PRS standard though. Way better build, not neck heavy and cheaper too. In fact, you can get an SE version for $500 that rivals the quality of the gibson

User Info Menu

I think the fret access of the SG is great, but they are neck heavy. Of the many solid body guitars made, IMO, only three are truly iconic, the Tele, the Strat and the Les Paul. These three designs were all home runs. Other guitars like the Jazzmaster, SG, Firebird, Flying V, Jaguar, Explorer, etc. may all be "hits" for their respective companies, but are not in the same league as the big three.

If you like an SG, you are lucky. Vintage examples can be had for way less money than a vintage Les Paul, Strat or Tele.

User Info Menu

I got all excited about SG's last fall & did a bunch of shopping/playing but I didn't end up falling in love with a single one.

I spend most all of my guitar time on flattops & archtops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    The question we really should be asking is why no love for Flying V?
    Easy:

1. The V slides off my leg when I sit or...

2. If I put the crotch of the V on my leg it feels like a dog humping me :-)