The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 144

User Info Menu

With medium or heavy flats and played with the neck PU and the EQ set to taste you should easily be in the ballpark - like most other guitars with a neck PU.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I found the resonant mahogany body and humbuckers gave a nice clear tone, especially for fingerpicked chords.

As said before, piano like, and a Telecaster does this well too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    I found the resonant mahogany body and humbuckers gave a nice clear tone, especially for fingerpicked chords.

As said before, piano like, and a Telecaster does this well too.
    There may be something to it - mahogany connection that is. You definitely hear some parts of spectrum that are not so obvious on other instruments. Also with my current chorus/delay pedal - Boomerang E155 - this SG sounds the best - the chorused tone that I get from it seems solid whereas with many other guitars I get impression of "split" in the spectrum.

Finally got a chance to run SG through my HRD - I like it but it could be a tad more meaty - maybe 11s will do the trick. Great amp though - I rarely fire it and I am always blown by clean tone on it. Wish I could find something similar at half of the weight. Blues Jr definitely is not it.
    Last edited by woland; 12-21-2015 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I have one...DR Blues Pure Nickel 11's make it very jazzy. But what do I know, I am probably the worst at using stereotypical jazz gear. My main guitars are Tele, Strat, SG, and my hollowbody of choice is a Wildkat. I have other guitars, but prefer these as my main tools. An SG feels better in my hands than a Les Paul, and I have tried almost a dozen LP's in the last year, and finally picked up an SG just for giggles...couldn't put her down. Stay mostly on the neck pickup with volume at 8 and tone at 7...jazz to MY ears.

I just can't seem to pigeon hole guitars into simple boxes...look at Chuck Loeb, plays jazz on a pointy metal guitar...at least a Sadowski version of an Ibanez RG...all the Tele guys, the Strat guys...just play what you want, and sound like what you want, and enjoy. I do.

User Info Menu

Never played jazz with it but the SG 61 RI is a great guitar! Had one for some years but then I realised that our ACDC tribute band would not, er, reissue (!) so I sold it to my nephew. Some LP's, a tele and a ES-175 are enough for me...but still sometimes I remember that axe with pure love, surrender and devotion!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Headshot
    I have one...DR Blues Pure Nickel 11's make it very jazzy. But what do I know, I am probably the worst at using stereotypical jazz gear. My main guitars are Tele, Strat, SG, and my hollowbody of choice is a Wildkat. I have other guitars, but prefer these as my main tools. An SG feels better in my hands than a Les Paul, and I have tried almost a dozen LP's in the last year, and finally picked up an SG just for giggles...couldn't put her down. Stay mostly on the neck pickup with volume at 8 and tone at 7...jazz to MY ears.

I just can't seem to pigeon hole guitars into simple boxes...look at Chuck Loeb, plays jazz on a pointy metal guitar...at least a Sadowski version of an Ibanez RG...all the Tele guys, the Strat guys...just play what you want, and sound like what you want, and enjoy. I do.
    The only LPs I ever owned were Studio (with wraparound bridge) and Goldtop (wih minihumbuckers). Neither one grabbed me - I did not like about the wight of LPs and ergonomics. But 61 RI is an instant match. Everything I try on it seems easier then on other guitars I have - it is spooky ;-) (you can't argue with Prince of this world). Just can't stop playing it.

I grabbed OD that I hope will work with it - Egnater Goldsmith - it is $200 regular price but Amazon has it for $120 for some strange reason. 2 channels - dirty boost and OD. I think it will be a good match:

User Info Menu

After seeing a couple of SG threads here and a couple of nice SG's at the local shop, I find myself intrigued.

The idea of a relatively inexpensive Gibson is appealing, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the necks thicker than I expected. I haven't plugged one in yet to see what kind of tones I can get, but that's next.

Any SG opinions out there?

Any recommendations as to model (special/standard?) or pickups or other stuff to look for?

User Info Menu

I got a 2005 SG Standard and I quite like it, got it basically because I can't play my 10.4 pounds Lester for any extended time anymore when standing.
    Got it use and had to change a collapsed bridge because the previous owner docked the TP to the top without top wrapping creating excessive downward pressure.
    It has now a milled steel bridge from Pinnacle, which gave it a bit more bite and sustain; great for distortion.
    I use that guitar mostly for fusion, rock and metal with the 498T bridge pickup, but the 490R neck pup is still good enough for warm clean tone.
    The neck on my Standard has a rounded profile which is somewhere between a rounded 50 and a slim 60.
    I still prefer the slim 60 of my Lester though.
    If I would buy another SG it would be a 61 RI with its slim 60 neck and classic 57 pups.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, if the SG did not have the "batman" look it would have become THE jazz solid body guitar vs. a Tele.

Superb sound if played with heavier strings. A light mahogany solid body makes sense for jazz, and if you use something other than Nancy-boy strings and close your eyes, wowie.

But in fairness to style prejudice, red mahogany will always look like the guy from AC/DC in short pants to me.

But if you are less shallow than me, a fatter neck and a thinner body all of mahog' makes for a superb jazz solid body.

Hope it works out for you.

User Info Menu

I have had several Gibson SG's over the years and I only have one left. A vintage 1963 Les Paul Standard (SG model).
    A superb guitar fitted with a couple of patented pickups, but not really very well suited for jazz. Of course you can play jazz on it, but if you want to play jazz, choose another guitar.
    I do not take the 1963 out to a gig.

SGs are known for their easy acces to the higher regions of the neck, and are lightweight when compared to Les Pauls. The cons about them is prone to breaking of the neck at the headstock or body joint and some say they have neck diving problems due to a relatively heavy neck-body weight ratio.
    I think they are great handling guitars, comfortable playing. Choose a more fancy model, like standard (57) with neck binding or a special (p90).

User Info Menu

Man, I have always loved a good SG. My dream one would be the white Les Paul SG Custom without the Vibrato. No cheap purchase. haha.

User Info Menu

I like an SG, bu they'd have to make them out of unobtanium to make them as rugged as a tele, therefore, a tele will always be my go to solid body.

User Info Menu

Always wanted an SG the first "Jazz" guitar player I knew of the kid in my schools dance band had an SG. But every time I play one I can't stand them. The body with the neck stuck way out on the end of the body is really strange feeling never a comfortable guitar to play. Sound they are okay definitely not the fullness of a Les Paul and don't get that Gibson Jazz tone.

I'd pass unless you want to the Clapton of the 60's sound.

User Info Menu

I had a '67 SG Standard. At the time it was my favorite guitar. I loved the way it played. Very smooth and fast. But I never liked the tone. It may have been me at the time. I had it from '73-'81. And I never thought it made a good jazz guitar. Fusion yes, but not jazz. Maybe I'd feel different now.

User Info Menu

I owned an SG Standard for about 2 years in the late 90's. I was playing a lot of straight ahead Blues in those days.

Never really thought of it as a Jazz guitar. She was a screamin' little bitch of a Blues guitar, though.

User Info Menu

Awesome responses!
    Thanks for all the great information & opinions.

I'm going test driving tomorrow -- see if the tone & and the feel are there for me or not . . .

I'm ambivalent about the look -- don't love it, don't hate it -- but it's just not a big priority for me.
    The thing that excites me about the SG over the tele is the mahogany neck -- I love mahogany

User Info Menu

I have had my 1969 Std. since 1980. I don't play it as much as my hollow and semi-hollow guitars but I just happed to pull it out today. I gotta go now.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Why no love for the Gibson SG?-holdsworthsoftmachine-png

User Info Menu

Do you remember this :

or this :

(sorry for bad video quality)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    After seeing a couple of SG threads here and a couple of nice SG's at the local shop, I find myself intrigued.

The idea of a relatively inexpensive Gibson is appealing, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the necks thicker than I expected. I haven't plugged one in yet to see what kind of tones I can get, but that's next.

Any SG opinions out there?

Any recommendations as to model (special/standard?) or pickups or other stuff to look for?
    61 RI has a very friendly neck. I posted one of those SG threads recently and I am still on the fence as far as swapping my ASAT for it. It is a very playable and even sounding guitar. But there is some lack of expressiveness compare to Fender scale guitars that keeps me from loving it.

User Info Menu

My third SG is the charm. 2005 standard. Big neck. Set up for open tunings and slide. Replaced the stock pickups with two from Ian Anderson. That is one great sounding guitar. Never tried it for jazz.

The first two were vintage, but not at the time. My first guitar, a mid 60s SG junior. Then a longtime loaner from a friend who went to jail, his late 60s SG Special. Grew to not appreciate both, for various reasons. I'll take the recent standards any day.
    MD

User Info Menu

SG, Tele, L5, Strat, ....it's a tool! Short pants long hair, short hair long face,...doesn't matter if you have soul behind it!
    Jazz ain't any instrument. It's a way of expressing your SOUL!
    To ME, it's a way of LIFE!
    When you find that soul connection, you can play a cigar box with strings and make it sing!
    If you feel love for that SG, go for it! YOU make it the badass jazz box it's meant to be!!

User Info Menu

to follow up, my SG test drive left me less than inspired . . .
    gas went away and I walked home with no new guitar but still $$ in wallet

I tried out new standard, special & faded models & they were all OK,
    but none of them added anything to my sound that my Midtown Custom couldn't already do better.

so much for that little gas-driven tone search . . .

User Info Menu

The SG never had tone to me. It was like putting string on wood. But it played very fast and felt comfortable to me. I loved it. I made it work for what it was. Great fusion guitar.

User Info Menu

This guy could really make one sing...

Why no love for the Gibson SG?-t-jpg