The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

.......Assuming I'm trying to get a warm tube sound with a certain WesMo I just adopted, would this work ? This will probably never leave my living room. Heard some really good things about these at a recent show.

Any other suggestions also welcome.

Thanks !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    .......Assuming I'm trying to get a warm tube sound with a certain WesMo I just adopted, would this work ? This will probably never leave my living room. Heard some really good things about these at a recent show.

Any other suggestions also welcome.

Thanks !
    Warm tube sound, I dont think so! Sometimes I play a gig with a guitarist who plays Gypsy jazz acoustic through Loudbox mini, and I plugged in my Guild hollowbody with P90 once just for kicks. The sound was the opposite of warm tube kind, rather harsh actually. I would only use it if theres nothing else to plug into. Its really an acoustic guitar amp.

User Info Menu

owned one of these for a while, it was actually pretty great, i dont know if it was a mini though. I sold it to a friend, he ended up hating it, due to only playing electric. It seems that based on the previous response that it is a great amp but only for the use acoustically and outside of that environment it has little place. Although, it seems like every time theres a statement like that made here, someone comes along and enlightens everyone on someone making cool things happen. I would try it...why not?

User Info Menu

I have the Loudbox Artist and whilst others on the forum have suggested that it is great for archtops, it just doesn't do it for me. It is great with my flat-top, nylon and Gitane guitars, but I can't use it for archtop with humbuckers. No matter how I eq it, it is just too sterile.

I know someone on the forum uses a tube preamp before his Fishman, perhaps this is the answer - and not too expensive.

User Info Menu

^that sounds like a pretty interesting resolution....but the loudboxes are really liked among a lot of players (probably for the d.i.?) That said...it may be an easy amp to unload if you were to find a shop, and get a decent deal on a smaller s.s. that fits your needs better.

User Info Menu

It's great for what it is - an acoustic amp. I like my floating pickups through it. Nice acoustic-ish tone. But if you want a warm fat tone from a set in humbucker it's not the right amp without a preamp. I'd also suggest not getting the mini - move up to the artist or performer.

I ended up getting a Carvin AG300 which has the same high quality sound with more features and speakers:

Acoustic Guitar Amp Amplifier 3 channels Carvin ? Carvin Audio

User Info Menu

I say you just have to try it. The Fishman amps are great for all types of pickups--I think it's not fair to call it "just an acoustic amp". I agree I wouldn't call it a "warm" tubey sound, more of a clean sound. I like to think more of a Polytone type of sound. You can roll the treble off and pretend you're Joe Pass to your hearts content.

If you want a tube amp sound though, the Fender SCX2 or SCXD would be a good choice for a good price.

User Info Menu

The Mini doesn't have a switch to defeat the tweeter, and tweeters are the enemy of electric guitar tone. The Artist has a knob which can turn the tweeter off, but I still wouldn't plug an electric guitar into it.

User Info Menu

I use the Loudbox Mini with both set in humbuckers and a floating KA. I really like the tone. It is not tube like, to be fair. But, I go to that over my Cube 80XL, which I also like. I was using a couple of nights ago with another guitarist and a piano player in a basement jam session. The piano player commented on how much he liked the tone. And. recently at a workshop type thing, the teacher said the same thing. And, he had several nice amps (vintage, tube) laying around at his disposal.
    I will say that if I had a WesMo, I would invest in an amp that would really bring out the best of that level of guitar. Probably a nice tube amp.
    BTW, the Loudbox is the best that I've found for flattop acoustic. So, it is nice to have. They are in basically every guitar store. You may want to take your guitar to the store and try it out. Setting the EQ is not quite the same as a traditional guitar amp. So, play with it a bit,

User Info Menu

Although I have never played through one, I have always thought , perhaps erroneously, that an archtop would probably sound nice through an acoustic amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by miken
    I use the Loudbox Mini with both set in humbuckers and a floating KA. I really like the tone. It is not tube like, to be fair. But, I go to that over my Cube 80XL, which I also like. I was using a couple of nights ago with another guitarist and a piano player in a basement jam session. The piano player commented on how much he liked the tone. And. recently at a workshop type thing, the teacher said the same thing. And, he had several nice amps (vintage, tube) laying around at his disposal.

I will say that if I had a WesMo, I would invest in an amp that would really bring out the best of that level of guitar. Probably a nice tube amp.

BTW, the Loudbox is the best that I've found for flattop acoustic. So, it is nice to have. They are in basically every guitar store. You may want to take your guitar to the store and try it out. Setting the EQ is not quite the same as a traditional guitar amp. So, play with it a bit,
    So - knowing this amp would be ' living room only ', what names are ' must consider ' ??

Thanks !!

User Info Menu

I think the phrase "acoustic amp" is a misnomer. Typically they are solid state, have a flat frequency response and have a tweeter to emphasize the high end.

The Fishman Artist has a knob to turn down the tweeter, but in my experience it makes little difference with magnetic pickups, but is much more critical to shaping the acoustic sound with a piezo. There is also a button to cut back the input strength from magnetic pickups compared to low-output piezos. These features make it a very versatile amp.

Not sure if the Mini has these features, and of course a flat response is not everyone's cup of tea, but there you go.

User Info Menu

That is very subject to taste, of course. But, I played through a Fender Princeton Reverb RI and fell in love with the tone. They are around $1000 new. I have a hard time spending that much relative to my playing ability level. That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    So - knowing this amp would be ' living room only ', what names are ' must consider ' ??

Thanks !!

User Info Menu

my mini develped a nasty noise i have yet to fix, prob bad peaker after 3-4 years of lots of use
    my artist had a low volume crackle and its on route to fishman for repair
    cool product, not super robust stuff tho IMO

mini had a better sound, even w/ no crossover, less noise, worked well pushed near the end of its power range

User Info Menu

A Polytone Minibrute II is a great living room amp... plus you can gig with it! Warm tone for jazz like you can't believe. More clean headroom, fewer feedback issues and a whole lot less expensive than a PR or PRRI.

User Info Menu

I just have to say this, why even consider Loudbox mini for electric guitar when there is ZT Lunchbox around? So much better for any type of electric, very tube like response, plus lighter and smaller. I mean, the obvious choice.

User Info Menu

I bought a Loudbox mini based on it's internet reputation, but I never really grooved with the sound. Interestingly, my bass player did, so he used it for practice until I sold it. Nothing bad about it, just not inspiring to me. My only real complaint was the crappy soft tolex.

My current favorite small "livingroom" amp is a Schertler Giulia. It is not a very loud amp, but it offers amazingly beautiful tone with a really nice build quality. More of a transparent acoustic approach than the tube sound, but I still think it sounds plenty "warm".

If you don't want to spend a grand on a Princeton, I'm guessing you don't want to spend a grand on a Henriksen Bud either, but I think that would fit the bill as a small but very capable amp too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I bought a Loudbox mini based on it's internet reputation, but I never really grooved with the sound. Interestingly, my bass player did, so he used it for practice until I sold it. Nothing bad about it, just not inspiring to me. My only real complaint was the crappy soft tolex.

My current favorite small "livingroom" amp is a Schertler Giulia. It is not a very loud amp, but it offers amazingly beautiful tone with a really nice build quality. More of a transparent acoustic approach than the tube sound, but I still think it sounds plenty "warm".

If you don't want to spend a grand on a Princeton, I'm guessing you don't want to spend a grand on a Henriksen Bud either, but I think that would fit the bill as a small but very capable amp too.
    Someone had mentioned the Loudbox, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for the replies.

And yes I'm thinking $1000. plus may be too much, 'cause I may stumble upon another guitar. The Schertlers are new to me. I've already found their site, and like the design. Not sure where they're for sale in the States, or where you may have found one.

But again, thanks for the help and suggestions. My only electric guitar now is the WesMo, so picking up any affordable amp that marries up well with a humbucker is the goal.

User Info Menu

You have to use a direct box to get it to sound right because the impedance of the instrument channel is for a microphone input not a guitars output impedance. It would be great if you were a jazz singer and jazz guitarist or a guitar/vocal duo because its portability and versatility make it worthwhile. Is it the best jazz guitar sound you can find? no. is it giggable with decent tone? yes if you use a direct box. It's pretty loud for its size.

User Info Menu

The best tone I have ever found for a clean warm tubey vibey amp is a Musicman RP112-65. They go for 400 to 500. Very nearly a one trick pony, but a great trick.

A Peavey Heritage VTX is cleaner more detailed tone but excellent sounding as well.. Not as vibey or warm but sounds great with everything from pedal steel to acoustic guitar, archtop, Tele.. I have 14 amps and would say if I was limited to 1 amp, it would be the Heritage. I bought it for 100 bucks. Jack of all trades and excellent for all. The King of amps imo.

My Fender Bandmaster Reverb with a 1x15 jbl or 2x12 jbl is very nice as well, fussy to dial in... but surprisingly works best for acoustic guitar... All controls at noon.. The JBLs have just the right extended range..nice swirl in the tone. Most any early 70s silverface Fender combo with reverb and a JBL would be comparable. Seems to be tonally fussy on impedance match. 1000 for a vintage rig like this.

My Fishman Mini is lightweight, decent tone, makes a decent practise amp or gig monitor for guitar and vocals but is not tubey nor in the same category tonally as the prior three. It is an amp that is good but not close to great. Paid 300 used.
    Last edited by Tommy_G; 01-16-2018 at 03:11 AM.