The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    Congratulations on a great guitar! I've owned 3 Seventy Sevens and they've all been just perfect.
    Here's my latest...I can't stop playing it, it's so nice :

whats the wood on that ?
    its pretty ....
    can you get them in uk ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    whats the wood on that ?
    its pretty ....
    can you get them in uk ?
    That guitar is made of Koa wood. Im not sure there are any left as they were a custom run, if you like, I can find out if there are any available and let you know. Bob

User Info Menu

....can you get them in uk ?
    There is now a UK supplier:

The Guitar Den | Fine and Unusual Guitars, and Lessons in Hampshire..

User Info Menu

Tak, the guitar looks great! I love the tortoiseshell binding!

The thinline Hawk is now on my list to try for my next smaller body guitar.

User Info Menu

Interesting.. never seem a knob config so close together. How do you find it?

Thanks, JazzyJim!
    The sound is also nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spakryan
    Interesting.. never seem a knob config so close together. How do you find it?
    I asked Deviser to build my guitar like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images Seventy seven Hawk-jazz deep-image-png 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Top of the Arch!
    That guitar is made of Koa wood. Im not sure there are any left as they were a custom run, if you like, I can find out if there are any available and let you know. Bob
    no thanks Bob
    no dough at the mo

User Info Menu

Hi Tak, beautiful guitar. Who is your Japanese contact? I've been really impressed with the Seventy Sevens I've seen so far.

Thanks, scotto!
    Japanease dealer GuitarPlanet helped me.
    If you live in Japan, they can help you.

User Info Menu

I know that feeling only too well! Bob
    no thanks Bob
    no dough at the mo

User Info Menu

Thanks Tak,
    Tokyo, Ochanomizu?
    Arigato.!

User Info Menu

Scotto, guitar planet is ???????? | ???? ????????????????

It's in Ochanomizu diagonally opposite ("kitty corner" from) the main JR Ochanomizu exit on the corner (West Exit). I've never bought anything from them but have visited several times and they are always pleasant to deal with.

And if you go, they currently have a nice 60s Guild Artist Award for sale, a nice ES175 with a CC pickup, and the Gibson L5 Custom Crimson Florentine "Shark" by Bruce Kunkel (the blue/green one).

User Info Menu

Thanks Travisty... I know exactly where your heading!

User Info Menu

I'm a few thousand miles away, and I've already got my shark.
    But I am a displaced Tokyoite, and for several years until about 16-17yrs ago, my wife used to work just down the street, so I know the area (despite my having been back to Ochanomizu probably fewer than 100 times since she stopped working there ).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tak
    My guitar had been completed.

This guitar is basically a guitar that changed the HAWK JAZZ/deep specification of the Seventy seven.

Anyway, this is a great guitar.

I'm happy if you are you able to understand the goodness of this guitar.

I was convinced that the sound is great at the moment that issued the first sound.

In addition, this guitar does not have a buzzing for low action.

Since I was specify the specification of the neck of the wood, it is a great sense of stability of the neck.

All controls had been mounted on the pick guard,and the pick guard also has been changed to black monochromatic plate. Knobs are ebony.

In addition, in order to cope with my metal allergy, frets are evo-gold fret of jescar that does not contain nickel.

Strap pins are a little larger size, also attached to the neck side.

It seems to be using the grain of the wood is not too flashy, wood grain of beautiful maple and changing the angle is wonderful visible clearly.

If you had the chance, please try playing the hawk jazz!

Attachment 28136Attachment 28141Attachment 28138Attachment 28140Attachment 28139

vBulletin Message
    Wow!

I am impressed that you had them use
    Jescar EVO Gold Frets... I love the Jescar
    Nickel Silver .047X .104 for the size and mass..and the big compromise for me even when I play a Gibson is they use inferior Fretwire ( softer ) EXCEPT on Traditional and Historic Models ( Memphis) and
    they Plek ( shave ) the top of the Frets off !
    Gibson Frets are usually shaped like a loaf of bread on top...or railroad track and they are often lower than .040 when new- not a good Start for $2000 to $5000.
    I did like the ES 137 Tones though- fatter and more Hollow Sounding than a 335..which ( 335 ) does not go far enough for what I want to do with it.

Anyway I was looking at both the Albatross Jazz and even the Archtops - and was going to use Jescar on a Carvin/ Kiesel Build but Kiesel would not do a 21 Fret HF2 ( Hollow )even for Mo Money.

The EVO lasts almost as long as Stainless but sounds and feels like Polished Nickel.

Does Seventy Seven use Jescar Wire now or did you have to send it to them?

I tried to get Jescar Wire specc'ed on a Korean Line ( Prestige , which I am not sure of buying yet ) by having Jeff Silver from Jescar contact The Manufacturer.

Did you get EVO Medium Jumbos on your Archtop ?
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 09-15-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Hi,Robertkoa .

Seventy seven uses jascar.
    I think they use jascar for every japan made products...maybe
    You don't have to send them your favorite fretwire.
    Just order with spec change .

User Info Menu

Thanks Tac...I would like to have EVO Medium Jumbos on a Guitar..and am looking at the Albatross Jazz..and DAngelico EX-DH.. and even the Fat Hawk though I play a type of Fusion R&B ...still ..Tone is Tone..I would have the rare Archtop with Single Coil switches...though the D'Angelicos have that.

I have heard Great Tones on many of the Seventy Seven Demos from their Fat Hawk and Jazz Hawk Models ....
    Edit: EX DH D'Angelico does not have the really deep Tones I seek..
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 11-10-2017 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

I have had Koa as a Solid Body wood and it is often deep and warm sounding...

On either a Jazz Hawk OR the Hawk Standard Thinline ..does the Koa deepen the Tone or brighter compared to Spruce ?

Also - more important..I heard a Demo recently of the
    Hawk Standard ( thinline ) which had very deep Tones for a Thinline Guitar.

Here is the Demo :

Is this Model close in Tone to the Fat Jazz Hawk or is it thinner in Tone ?

Main difference between them ?

Thank you.

I don't know the koa-hawk sound.

But, Fat hawk sounds deeper than thinline hawk .

I think the main difference is only depth.

User Info Menu

Thanks Tak...I think the Brad Kang clip with the
    Hawk Standard Thinline sounds excellent for a thin body ..

User Info Menu

The Hawk models are super guitars! The ones Ive had come thru the shop for customers were all 100% first rate builds, and sounded pretty sweet too! Its amazing to me that Deviser can do a custom build for less than most mid priced off the rack brands. Good luck with it, its a beauty. Bob
    1]Is it relatively easy to get Jescar EVO Gold Fretwire in .047w .104h ( Standard Medium Jumbo Jescar ) ?

2] Does Seventy Seven have a slightly thinner Neck Profile available ?

A) Do we have any size ( thickness @first fret and at 12th Fret ) reference for what they are in Stock Version ?

I tried an ES 137 and the neck felt fine...
    But I have heard the Necks on Seventy Sevens are very Beefy from a few People.

What do you suggest to get to a slightly smaller more 'familiar' thickness ?

I am not too concerned about Profile.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Pm me and I can tell you more. Thanks. Bob

A few changes in 4years.

Pickup : Loller cc
    tail piece : black 175 style w/ebony
    pick guard : ebony (made by myself)

CC pickup sound is good for me.
    But, it doesn’t fit with ebony pick guard. IMO

Seventy seven Hawk-jazz deep-56d77b17-97d2-4df5-b2e3-f08414df3772-jpgSeventy seven Hawk-jazz deep-30de28e4-ae7c-4ba5-a7a1-1e9d905cf66d-jpgSeventy seven Hawk-jazz deep-9b80c198-d727-4c06-9e45-384c7136d4ee-jpg

User Info Menu

Tak, any chance of a video so we can hear it? I haven’t been able to find any clips of the jazz hawk deep with a single coil.
    Last edited by wzpgsr; 01-11-2020 at 02:48 AM.