The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

I know it's a common question but I'm looking to buy a good jazz guitar (backstory, have shifted lots of my old rock-orientated guitars and gear due to no longer gigging regularly due to work/family stuff and have been getting into jazz more heavily as it's a new way to scratch the music itch and learn something).

As I'm having so much fun I thought I'd treat myself to a reasonable quality guitar again (been using my tele beater and a Tanglewood 335). Looking to spend maybe £800-1200 used.

One guitar I'm particularly interested in is the ES137 as looks the part (want something that looks jazzier than a 335) and sounds quite close to my old 335 Custom but maybe more mellow and open. The 135 may be an option too, especially the late models that had humbuckers and a mahogany centre block. I'm not against full-hollows either but fancied having a guitar that could get rocky for occasional gigs with my old bandmates.

Anything else worth looking at? Any brands considered.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You're on the right track with the Gibsons. Others you may want to take a look at are the Eastman semi hollows including the El Rey, T184, 185, 186, and the 386. Peerless also makes a wide range of hollow and semi-hollow guitars to fit most needs.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

User Info Menu

Hi David - welcome!

You're looking for "versatile" and already have a tele and a 335?? It sounds like you're done shopping.

If you're looking for "another" sound, then keep looking, but versatile you have.

User Info Menu

There is a nice 2011 Blonde Epiphone Emperor Regent on Reverb. If you don't buy it, I might. And like another hole in my head, I don't need another Guitar. But I want that one..

User Info Menu

Samick Greg Bennett Royale 3; very versatile, great jazz sounds.

Thanks for the replies! Some options to check out there.

Another brand I tried, obviously more of a full-on hollow archtop, was the Godin 5th Ave series - lovely 'woody' feel and have a much more crafted feel in the hand considering the 'mid price' cost (much as I like Gibsons, I always roll my eyes at the cost compared to alternatives). There are a couple of the GT Composers going fairly locally used and they look beautiful - really nail the vibe aesthetically. I've always liked Godin as a company and my Seagull Maritime sounds like much more expensive acoustic.

User Info Menu

Hi DBD.

Looks like you need a hollow body guitar to add to your inventory.

Are you in the UK? You mention '£' so I take it you are.

Versatile 'Jazz guitar' for newish jazzer?-5949-desktop-jpg
    Check out Hagstrom HJ800. It's string length is half way between an ES 335 and a Tele. The HJ line are very well made instruments and the 800 is top of the line.

Versatile 'Jazz guitar' for newish jazzer?-shopping-jpg
    Or for your budget try out some of those Guilds. There's quite a few, I'm sure you'll find a good 'un.

Versatile 'Jazz guitar' for newish jazzer?-14047-desktop-jpg
    Peerless are well made instruments. The RRP's have seen a sea change recently but I found a store that has a Manhattan for the old retail price!

User Info Menu

Hello David,

I got reacquainted with my ESP Edwards e-SA-138LTC semi-hollow guitar recently. It was remarkably jazzy with a Seymour Duncan SH-2N in the neck, solid maple cap, rim and back, and a mahogany centre block. It is known as the e-SA-180LTC today to reflect the price increase, (the Japanese makers have a peculiar habit of naming their guitar models according to the MSRP). It was warm as all gets out. The neck profile is a nice 1959 Gibson profile: not too baseball bat chunky, not too 60s thin. Just right. And I have small 8.25" hands, thumb to pinky, tip to tip, comfortably outstretched.

If you're looking for an ES-175-type, you'd do well to look at the Deviser Seventy-seven Hawk or Hawk Jazz hollowbody guitars. Gibson archtops tend to be priced over the top in the UK. Besides, I am a brand-agnostic; a good guitar is a good guitar...well, silly headstock shapes aside.

So, made in Japan Edwards, Seventy-seven Guitars, Tokai should be on your shopping list.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-09-2016 at 06:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow

Versatile 'Jazz guitar' for newish jazzer?-5949-desktop-jpg
    Check out Hagstrom HJ800. It's string length is half way between an ES 335 and a Tele. The HJ line are very well made instruments and the 800 is top of the line.

This is what I have coming someday. I ordered it 12/1. Supposed to arrive before 3/31. I am purchasing sight unseen/unplayed. I hope that I get a good one because after the long wait I would hate to have to return it. I will review it and eventually post some clips when I get it. Some of the reasons why I went for it over others is a carved solid spruce top (although I think that there is smallish solid bridge block), one piece North American maple neck, neck joint at the 16th fret, and the loosely based Jimmy D'Aquisto design. The only other archtops that I have seen with the 16th fret joint are Hofners. This one will cost me less than half of a used Jazzica and will include the Hagstron HS case. I know that it is a second tier archtop, but I can't justify anything that costs a whole lot more. This will make guitar number 8 for me.

P.S. There a series of three good youtube clips for anyone that is interested in the HJ800. Also I would like to hear from others that have them or similar Hags. Not much written about them on the internets.
    Last edited by lammie200; 02-10-2016 at 12:56 AM.

User Info Menu

In the lower price range since you have the semi hollow body guitar already, is the ES-175 style guitar (laminate constuction ,fully hollow,usually 24&3/4" scale) Some are already listed above, others not in any price order
    Eastman 175 including a John Pisano model, used Heritage 575, Peerless, Epiphone, and even though has a center block a used Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion! That actually might be the one you'll feel most at home on.

User Info Menu

The 137 will sound very much like your 335.

Also, it's heavy and to me the neck felt like it stuck way out.

Treat your tele to some rehab, and play on!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Not much written about them on the internets.
    I bought my son a Viking when they first came out. What an excellent guitar it is.

Straight out of the box it was set up and played like a dream. The pickups were good and all the hardware is well made.

But for me I like a longer scale length.

I tried the HJ500 and that was really nice. That one is a 24.75" string length whereas the HJ800 is 25".

You won't be disappointed.

Yeah, on second thoughts I'm thinking it might be more fun to go more for an all-out jazzer than a jack of all trades.

What do people think of the Godin 5th Avenues? I really like the look of the GT composer and have tried the P90 version and it was really nice. How do they compare to Eastman, as they seem to be in the same price ball park?
    Last edited by davidBb; 02-09-2016 at 05:31 PM.

User Info Menu

What does versatile mean to you? I don't think jazz boxes are all that versatile. Yes, Nugent played a hollowbody and sometimes Steve Howe did, but millions of rockers and blues guys do not otherwise use hollowbodies.

Doing bends on a guitar setup for jazz is not ideal, imo.

Used, my choice would be one of: Guild CA-100, CE-100, X-150, or X-175.

Versatile as in 'can be put to rockier use' like a semi-hollow 335 or 137 could. Although thinking about it, more of a jazz guitar might be more fun, more of a change, as I've never had one.

User Info Menu

Look at an Ibanez, well made and reasonable for your first hollow body.

User Info Menu

OK you've mentioned Godin, forced me to respond. Love the Godins, have a 5th Ave that I put a floater on. IMHO, if you have any thought of playing something rock-oriented, something with a center block or at least a thinline would be best. The Godin Premiere would be a great choice here. Somewhat expensive, but can be got used for $1000-1200.

I will also second Peerless. I'm not too familiar with their semi offerings, but I have a Sunset--thinline, doesn't have any major feedback issues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davidBb
    One guitar I'm particularly interested in is the ES137 as looks the part (want something that looks jazzier than a 335) and sounds quite close to my old 335 Custom but maybe more mellow and open. The 135 may be an option too, especially the late models that had humbuckers and a mahogany centre block. I'm not against full-hollows either but fancied having a guitar that could get rocky for occasional gigs with my old bandmates.
    When people get into jazz they eventually want an archtop of some kind, but it's really not a requirement. See the Telecaster love-in thread.

User Info Menu

Versatility is overrated.

Put some .012's on your tele and buy a rock guitar, or rock out on your tele and get a hollowbody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    There is a nice 2011 Blonde Epiphone Emperor Regent on Reverb. If you don't buy it, I might. And like another hole in my head, I don't need another Guitar. But I want that one..
    I've been restraining myself from buying this customized Regent with a P90

https://reverb.com/item/1402535-epi-...gram-tailpiece

User Info Menu

2b, I think I'm still gonna be buying guitars after I'm dead so I totally understand bro.
    I just have a thing for the Emperor regent.
    I checked out that one too. It's nice bro.
    JD

User Info Menu

As you've got a solid and a semi already I guess you'll be going for an archtop, which after all is what most jazz guitar is/was played on. An archtop will also give you the pleasure of playing acoustically at home, and that warm vibration against your chest!

Archtops have a lot more variability in feel than solids and semis, because of the body size and the acoustic volume. Scale length can also be deceptive on a big 17*3.5 inch archtop (for me anyway). So I'd definitely try before you buy, to check that it's the right feel for you.

There are so many options for a good quality archtop at a good price these days, that I won't add to the brand advice except to say all my archtops are made in Japan, not because I dislike Gibsons, Guilds etc but because they are usually hideously overpriced outside of the US.

And if Joe DeN & 2bornot2bop are thinking about adding a Korean Epiphone to their historic collections that says lot!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup
    As you've got a solid and a semi already I guess you'll be going for an archtop, which after all is what most jazz guitar is/was played on. An archtop will also give you the pleasure of playing acoustically at home, and that warm vibration against your chest!

Archtops have a lot more variability in feel than solids and semis, because of the body size and the acoustic volume. Scale length can also be deceptive on a big 17*3.5 inch archtop (for me anyway). So I'd definitely try before you buy, to check that it's the right feel for you.

There are so many options for a good quality archtop at a good price these days, that I won't add to the brand advice except to say all my archtops are made in Japan, not because I dislike Gibsons, Guilds etc but because they are usually hideously overpriced outside of the US.

And if Joe DeN & 2bornot2bop are thinking about adding a Korean Epiphone to their historic collections that says lot!
    Actually, I began with an Epiphone Regeant, and have previously owned several Korean D'Angelico EXL-1 guitars...and have owned Korean Peerless Monarch's and Cremona's. Great guitars coming from Korea! I still own a Peerless Cremona 16 with single routed humbucker

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Hi DBD.

Looks like you need a hollow body guitar to add to your inventory.

Are you in the UK? You mention '£' so I take it you are.
    Wow, the Hagstrom looks like a lot of spec for the money. Peerless are a great brand too - I notice they do a number of solid wood models for reasonable money.

I nearly always buy used so popular brands that show up a lot in the second hand market are a bonus - always a few Peerless, Godin, Ibanez, Gibson, etc. knocking around not too far away.

Not too sure on scale length yet. For 'comfort zone' playing I have no real preference between 'Fender' or 'Gibson' (but at a stretch would choose the latter) scale but in jazz I'm exploring more unfamiliar stretchy chord fingerings so shorter I feel would make more sense.
    Last edited by davidBb; 02-11-2016 at 04:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davidBb
    For 'comfort zone' playing I have no real preference between 'Fender' or 'Gibson' (but at a stretch would choose the latter) scale but in jazz I'm exploring more unfamiliar stretchy chord fingerings so shorter I feel would make more sense.
    I am 6'3" and have hands the size of shovels.

My nickname at school was spoons coz of me big thumbs.

My middle finger-fingertip, left hand, isn't symmetrical.

I find I need room for my comp styled grips between 6th to 12th frets so longer scale helps me here.

I trawled the shops for a long scale jazz guitar. Not many about as they are predominately the G scale.

I found a NOS Epi Emperor Regent at the back of a shop, happy days!

I wanted to try the HJ800 @ 25" (PRS?!?) scale but they're rare to find.

I did try a Gretsch New Yorker which has a really wide nut. It played well but looked cheap and every one I tried had fret issues.

Ibanez do F & G scale (FANG) guitars.

Versatile 'Jazz guitar' for newish jazzer?-hb15ctsk-jpg
    HB15C (also a non~cutaway) G scale
    Versatile 'Jazz guitar' for newish jazzer?-j600k-jpg
    J600K F scale.

Good luck with your FANG search!