Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    did a little experiment this morning with some of the surplus pedals. i went:

byrdland > ep booster > amp

and it was awesome. i just used a patch cable and set it on top of the amp. i compared the sound of it on vs the sound of it off but the amp's volume raised to compensate and i preferred it on. sounded great no matter where i set the knobs on the guitar. it just gave it a little something, and with 100 watts of tube headroom, it stayed perfectly clean. i used to use the rc booster for this purpose because i could add a little bass and cut a little treble, as well, for an "instant jazz" sound. i guess i can try other boosters i have lying around for funsies, but the ep booster work, and i have a few lying around anyway.

so then i added a reverb pedal. great sound. good times.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    Pedals for me are like the "dark side" and I have a love hate relationship with them. On a SS amp I find them a necessity to get decent tone AND reverb, but on a good tube amp they don't do much that I can do with a "naked" amp.
    I get it now - and I'm sure it's going to open up a whole world of exciting possibilities (live).

I don't use any FX now except maybe a touch of amp reverb.

In 1980 I had what I think was the first acid/punk jazz band in SF. We did some gigs at punk clubs and it was ridiculous.
    My set up was a Strat going into a Bad Stone phase shifter, Proco Rat to a Roland Space Echo. To top it off I rode a
    De Armond volume pedal with one foot and a wah with the other. Through a cranked Twin with Celestions. It sounded like a chain saw.

Quote Originally Posted by woland View Post
    That is one thing that I like for doing comping - a very mild compressor (I have Bearfoot Pale Green).
    Just heard one and liked it a lot - thanks for the tip. I'd definitely use that in a live (band) situation.

Still having fun with the Mooer Tender Octave and EHX Key9 I ended up getting, and I'm interested in a Roland G55. I think I could have a lot of fun with that.
    "Each heart vibrates to that iron string."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    (who obviously played in Carl Kress tuning)

Around here it is called "barefoot"; guitar, cord, amp, no pedals whatsoever... just my style.

I play jazz on a Strat through a Twin Reverb set maximum mids and minimum bass and treble,
    sounds like an L5, seriously.

Yep, on the neck pickup that's a heck of a jazz rig.

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    Around here it is called "barefoot"; guitar, cord, amp, no pedals whatsoever... just my style.

I play jazz on a Strat through a Twin Reverb set maximum mids and minimum bass and treble,
    sounds like an L5, seriously.
    I too play a blackface with the mids boosted. Maybe I should buy another amp?

Most the gigs I do are in the nude so to speak, but I have the odd outing on my EHX synth 9

9. I think i must have 40-50 good pedals at home, i use them with the solid bodies, but there's nothing i enjoy more than plugging straight into a good tube amp whenever effects aren't necessary. It has always been the notes and the basic finger-instrument-amp tone production that's a joy to me. Most of my practice time is unplugged too, even on electrics. But i do enjoy using pedals too, when you 're going after specific sounds and you get the exact, period and style correct pedal..

..funniest thing is i think i have about 10 dirt pedals, and i haven't played with distortion outside of gigs for 5 minutes in the last ... many years

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed