The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hi guys!
    I noticed this issue where the finish meets the binding,
    Is that normal?
    Finish Issue-12092655_10207707155667460_604158079_n-jpgFinish Issue-12048779_10207707155507456_1539452163_n-jpgFinish Issue-12087486_10207707155787463_166355408_n-jpgFinish Issue-12092597_10207707154307426_1466186657_n-jpg

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Could be that the binding is shrinking but I think I see a couple of cracks.

Thanks ArchtopoHeaven,
    what are the causes of the shrinking of binding?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boyg
    Thanks ArchtopoHeaven,
    what are the causes of the shrinking of binding?
    Just the nature of binding itself (if this is the issue). Some can shrink faster than others. Another way you can check, is by feeling the rim on both edges, not just the edge you photographed. If you can feel a lip between the wood and binding on both edges (it looks like there is one from the photos), then that could also point to shrinkage rather than bad fitting.

Is the finish cracking at all around areas of the binding? That can also happen with shrinkage.

Yes I've noticed!
    Thanks for the fast reply, very kind!

User Info Menu

Rich is right. Binding shrinkage. Pickguards and binding are very unpredictable. Every batch has a different life span.

What are the causes?
    How I can prevent binding shrinkage?

User Info Menu

Nothing you can do. It is the luck of the draw. I have seen 50 year old guitars with perfect binding and 10 year old guitars with prominent binding shrinkage.

User Info Menu

What kind of guitar is that and how old is it?

It may have always been that way. That's a microscopic view, so it's probably not as bad as it looks. Is there any clear lacquer over the bare spots, or has it cracked away and exposed the spruce?

If the clear coat is intact, then it's just a case of sloppy scraping. For spraying the color coats, the binding is usually masked with tape. Some color seeps under the tape which is then scraped off before the clear coats go on. Some of the color may have chipped away during the process.

User Info Menu

Plastic, wood and glue shrink and swell at different rates. Take it to a good guitar tech and let them look it over. Some things can be helped, others can't. Some looks like wood and some looks like (yellow) glue. Could be less than perfect finishing as stated above. It looks in the lower pics that the channel for the binding may have been too deep and the binding didn't meet flush with the top/bottom and a bit of the side of that plate (wood) is showing. If it won't budge, it is probably cosmetic but if it will "get thee to a luthiery". (Some old plastics are so prone to shrinking that if you take it off the guitar you can never get it back on.)

User Info Menu

Looks like it could be bad scraping, but could be shrinking. As said above: Check the clear coat - if it's cracked, then get the guitar looked at. If the clear coat is OK, then it could be scraping.

Here's a video on binding scraping by Tom Murphy. Scraping on low, medium and even Custom Shop Gibsons is often not this clean.

User Info Menu

Boyg, what brand/model guitar and from what year. A lot of guitars with tortoise shell type pick guards would have issues. If the guitar was always left in the case and the tortoise type pick guard "out gassed" it could cause binding to discolor, crack, metal plated parts to pit, and in advanced cases cause the inside of the case to decay near the pick guard. So what make/model/year guitar.

User Info Menu

Looks like the same binding on my L5 and my Heritage Johnny Smith. Just like what Kenbennett said, the pics are really close up. Its probably not as bad as it seems in the picture.
    Last edited by Max405; 10-02-2015 at 10:36 PM.

It's a 2 years old Gibson L5

User Info Menu

It's not binding shrinkage at 2 years old. Likely a poor scrape job. Seen a few new custom shop guitars with bad binding scrape jobs. It is the new scraper guy or gal Gibson hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Looks like the same binding on my L5 and my Heritage Johnny Smith. Just like what Kenbennett said, the pics are really close up. Its probably not as bad as it seems in the picture.
    Could you post some pics Joe?

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    It's not binding shrinkage at 2 years old. Likely a poor scrape job. Seen a few new custom shop guitars with bad binding scrape jobs. It is the new scraper guy or gal Gibson hired.
    I dont know vinny1k, beacuse the binding was absolutely perfect until a few months ago

User Info Menu

My ES165 has exactly the same issue, I think it was caused by Humidity/Temperature differences that caused the top to move/warp/shrink or whatever so that the laquer cracked at the edge of the top. I don`t care about it and the crack is staple. It does not get bigger... so I try to love it.

User Info Menu

Don't worry, it's mojo.... Collectors pay big bucks for it on vintage guitars and you got it for free! On a more serious note: I had to look really close to pictures to see something wrong. I doubt it will get worse than that and I don't think it has any effect on he construction and sound of the guitar, so I wouldn't worry too much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boyg
    Could you post some pics Joe?
    boyg, I was just saying the binding looked like bindings on my guitars. I don't have that same scraping issue on my bindings. Take it from Vinny, it's a very common scraping issue. If you are the original owner, You can send these pics to Gibson and see what they say.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

On the other hand, when you pay that much for a guitar, you have a right to some pretty high expectations. I would contact Gibson.

User Info Menu

It could be wood shrinkage too. The wood could have had too much moisture in it when built. Good luck trying to get Gibson to fix it unless it was brand new. Gibson has no warranty on the finish. Could also just be lacquer shrinkage at the seams. It happens.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 10-05-2015 at 10:37 AM.

User Info Menu

...........My L-5 R/I has finish flaking in the fingerboard area...It's close to full length on the ( bass and treble) inside edges -where the wood meets the binding....maybe 1/16 of an inch.....

..........just how it goes, I guess......