Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Interesting 22watt Fender(ish) design amp chassis UK

Award Session Special Offers. Welcome to award-session.com [AwardSession Special Offers]

These 22watt Fender(ish) design amp chassis look interesting, you just add your own cab/speaker. £160

Anyone have any knowledge about them?

I had a sessionette 75 210 and it was one of the best tube like s/s I have owned.

It was just way too loud and I dont like 10's.

very punchy, well made and I would happily try their other lower powered models. Not sure why I didn't think of them when posting my Amp thread.

Not sure the one you shown is £160. I think thats a full made one and will be around £500

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven View Post
    I had a sessionette 75 210 and it was one of the best tube like s/s I have owned.

It was just way too loud and I dont like 10's.

very punchy, well made and I would happily try their other lower powered models. Not sure why I didn't think of them when posting my Amp thread.

Not sure the one you shown is £160. I think thats a full made one and will be around £500
    They look interesting and worth investigating, I do remember the name.

I posted the link to the chassis for £160 in the thread:
    Award Session Special Offers. Welcome to award-session.com [AwardSession Special Offers]

Yes, you have to put it into a Cab/speaker, but that's easy enough.

They state that you can "Come & Try One For Yourself... Next To A Valve BJr Amp!" in Basingstoke.

I used to have a session amp with 12" speaker but just didn't do it for me, (I'm a Fender sorta guy). I've heard one of these being used at a blues club in Southampton, and it sounded very nice, in that context, overdriven some. Stewart is quite approachable, so why not call him and ask if it'll do the clean, fat 'Jazz' thing? I'm sure he'll be pretty honest about it.
    I have thought of getting a 22, but can't justify it really, my Princeton and SFDR do that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bananafist View Post
    I used to have a session amp with 12" speaker but just didn't do it for me, (I'm a Fender sorta guy). I've heard one of these being used at a blues club in Southampton, and it sounded very nice, in that context, overdriven some. Stewart is quite approachable, so why not call him and ask if it'll do the clean, fat 'Jazz' thing? I'm sure he'll be pretty honest about it.
    I have thought of getting a 22, but can't justify it really, my Princeton and SFDR do that for me.
    Many thanks for the info, I already have a Fender Deluxe Reverb and many other amps, but I'm very interested in building a head with one of these Session BluesBaby 22 chassis and seeing what it sounds like. At £160 it seems to be worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden View Post
    They look interesting and worth investigating, I do remember the name.

I posted the link to the chassis for £160 in the thread:

Yes, you have to put it into a Cab/speaker, but that's easy enough.

They state that you can "Come & Try One For Yourself... Next To A Valve BJr Amp!" in Basingstoke.
    If I made an amp and wanted something to make it sound good against, I'd get you to play a F BJ III too ;-)

In regards to solid state, they are about as good as it gets. They've been building them a long time.

I'm actually going to check them out again.

If they still have that black face punch but can make it easier to dial in your tone I would be very interested.

Guy, I seem to remember that member Little Jay has one of these and is very happy with it. Hopefully he will chime in but you can look up older threads, here's a few

neodymium speaker to increase headroom?

Jazz tone: Amp vs Guitar

Tube Amp Vs. Solid State Amp for Jazz

Hi Guy,

That seems a real bargain and the sound file is good. I've even got a blues jnr cab and speaker for you. Admittedly it still has the blues jnr inside it but I just know ArchtopHeaven would want to take that off my hands ��. If I had £1 for every time I've heard him say, "Blues Juniors. One is never enough!"

A.H. you're not alone! My BJ III doesn't get much love from me either but if either of you try out the Session then let us know what you think.
    Last edited by Chimera1to1; 02-23-2015 at 03:42 AM.

I used one at a jam session a few years ago - but I was using a 335 and playing generic blues/rock thru it.
    I was impressed...no so much that I bought one though.

I remember seeing a Simms Watts Ike Issacs signature amp for sale locally - I wished I'd tried that.

I had a Sessionette(?) 30 watt 1x10" many years ago. it was fine for clean - with a T-style Partscaster, I had to use a Tube Screamer to dirty it up enough for the blues band I was in. Nice and light, and portable.

On Saturday, at the workshop band I play with, one of the other guitarists was using one with a Strat-style guitar. Perfectly fine for what we were doing - clean but not cold-sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango View Post
    I had a Sessionette(?) 30 watt 1x10" many years ago. it was fine for clean - with a T-style Partscaster, I had to use a Tube Screamer to dirty it up enough for the blues band I was in. Nice and light, and portable.

On Saturday, at the workshop band I play with, one of the other guitarists was using one with a Strat-style guitar. Perfectly fine for what we were doing - clean but not cold-sounding.
    Probably a Rockette 30? My first amp, had a sort of unlacquered grey tweed finish. Moved on eventually as GAS set in - as you say, OK for cleans.

I also went round to Session's premises in Basingstoke (aka Stewart's house) to pick up a 2x10 cab when I lived in the UK, seemed like a nice bloke.
    Last edited by Plukky; 02-23-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Yes, I have the BluesBaby 22 in a DIY solid pine cab with a Jensen NEO 12-100 speaker. And I also have one of the older Session Rockette:30 amps and still think that sounds very nice too.

I still like my BluesBaby a lot for smaller gigs and use it a lot - it's easily the most tube-sounding and feeling solid state amp I've played so far. More than enough headroom for jazz gigs in trios or quartets (when the drummer is not too oud). With a loud drummer you will soon have some hair on your tone, the 22 watts are perfectly comparable to a Deluxe Reverb, it delivers around the same volume and headroom (this is one amp that does not suffer from the distinction between 'solid state watts' and 'tube watts'). Also the tone is very similar, although a Deluxe Reverb with it's bigger cabinet can deliver a little more 'oomph'. The 'fat' and 'Blackface' switches of the BluesBaby make it a little more versatile.

Biggest plus for me: mine weighs only around 7,5 kgs (around 15 lbs)!

If you have any questions, I will gladly answer those.
    Last edited by Little Jay; 02-23-2015 at 10:05 AM.
    :: Jazz, Funk, Soul, Groove & Boogaloo: My group ::
    :: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! ::

Quote Originally Posted by Plukky View Post
    Probably a Rockette 30? My first amp, had a sort of unlacquered grey tweed finish. Moved on eventually as GAS set in - as you say, OK for cleans.

I also went round to Session's premises in Basingstoke (aka Stewart's house) to pick up a 2x10 cab when I lived in the UK, seemed like a nice bloke.
    Yeah, thinking about it that was probably it. Knew it was a something-ette. Good amp, though. Blue-grey slightly fuzzy carpet-like finish, which was a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    Yes, I have the BluesBaby 22 in a DIY solid pine cab with a Jensen NEO 12-100 speaker. And I also have one of the older Session Rockette:30 amps and still think that sounds very nice too.

I still like my BluesBaby a lot for smaller gigs and use it a lot - it's easily the most tube-sounding and feeling solid state amp I've played so far. More than enough headroom for jazz gigs in trios or quartets (when the drummer is not too oud). With a loud drummer you will soon have some hair on your tone, the 22 watts are perfectly comparable to a Deluxe Reverb, it delivers around the same volume and headroom (this is one amp that does not suffer from the distinction between 'solid state watts' and 'tube watts'). Also the tone is very similar, although a Deluxe Reverb with it's bigger cabinet can deliver a little more 'oomph'. The 'fat' and 'Blackface' switches of the BluesBaby make it a little more versatile.

Biggest plus for me: mine weighs only around 7,5 kgs (around 15 lbs)!

If you have any questions, I will gladly answer those.
    Many, many, thanks for the info, 22watts seems a bit too small.

More info:

Apparently, the amp is designed with a distorted preamp section before the EQ section to give it a kind of valve (Tube) sound, this then goes into a clean power amp, so there's no distortion of the power amp. (Unless it's all on max)

The BluesBaby amp is using a a 68W chip that's is outputting 22W into an 8ohm Speaker. It's mounted to an Aluminum chassis to dissipates heat fast, like almost all SS amp's the chip will get hot, but this design prevents it from getting too hot.

There's a clip on the Session web site with an Electric Blues type tone:
    http://www.award-session.com/audio/Live_RetroTone_Blues_Solo_1.mp3

Last edited by GuyBoden; 02-24-2015 at 04:51 AM.

With an efficient speaker, 22 watts can deliver a lot if (clean) volume! I think the main consideration to want a BluesBaby is the need for a small and light amp (and maybe low maintenance cost and trouble) that still sounds good. If size and weight are not that important, then there are better alternatives and the BluesBaby remains somewhat of a compromise.

For me, the BluesBaby is a sub for my Twin Reverb when I can't take that (for whatever reason) because it does the BF/SF-type of tone well enough and even manages to give that tube-amp response - in a small and light package. Whenever the gig allows, I take my Twin or my modified Blues Deluxe, because those do sound better (although I doubt the audience would hear a difference).

For recordings I also used the BluesBaby, because of it's noise-free operation!

After reading a lot of positive comments, just ordered a BluesBaby chasis, I think it's exactly what I'm looking for, small SS amp, suitable for small gigs and also home practicing, good for jazz and blues. Gonna start thinking on the cabinet design

Great eigenbart! Keep us informed!

This is the cabinet I made for mine:

BluesBaby 22

Hello Guys,

Stewart, BB's designer here.

Just wanted to make a few comments. I think sometimes we compare amps and overlook certain things that make simple comparisons almost impossible.

Different speakers make amps sound different, louder or quieter. That's why there's so many available on the market. Larger speaker cabinets make the amp sound bigger and also give the impression that they're louder too. The latter is not actually the case, sadly.

If you plug BluesBaby into a Twin's speaker cabinet, then the tone would be very close to the real Twin... same for the Deluxe. To compare amp loudness, you really have to play the amp section through the same speaker cabinet in all cases. Even moving the speaker cab can make amps sound different, due to sound reflections off walls, etc. All amps appear to have more bass when they're sat on the floor. Raising them up always reduces the perceived bass output.

With respect to power/loudness. To make BluesBaby 22 twice as loud, it would need to be 220 Watts! So going up from 22 Watts to 40 Watts isn't actually going to make a lot of difference in loudness.

To close, there's now four new studio produced video clips of BB in action with my good friend Stuart Dixon using some of my guitars: BluesBaby 22 Guitar Amp

Thanks for your time... and kind comment Little Jay!
    Last edited by Sessionman; 11-04-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Hi Stewart, thanks for your comments, good to know that stuff from a guy with your experience, some comments regarding amps, speakers and their sound are just based on assumptions or "my friend told me that...".
    Now, please come back to work and send me the BB22 I ordered last week, can't wait!!! :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Sessionman View Post
    ... and kind comment Little Jay!
    No worries! I see you placed my comment on the BB22 website. Cool!

Although one of the strongpoints of the BB22 is it's capability to overdrive in a valve-like way, I think it would do the amp justice to emphasize it's jazzy side as well, starting with some nice videos with HQ sound. I can't promise anything, but I am planning to do some nice recordings with my 1948 ES-125 on the BB22

Quote Originally Posted by bananafist View Post
    Hi Bananafist,

I do know what you mean... that's why I developed the RetroTone upgrade for the Sessionette. It was basically a good amp, but 'something' was missing; and an idea came to mind on how to fix that about seven years ago, whilst servicing (and tinkering with) my own amp.

The Sessionette now nails that Fender vibe so well. This is why I got back into making SS amps. For me, it's all very exciting again - yeah I got bored with making amps and taking care of forty people. That's me playing my '63 Tele through it, after upgrading, on the clips posted here somewhere!

BluesBaby 22 uses that important RetroTone circuitry and more, to make the convincing sounds it does. But to fully appreciate BB, you have to play loud live. Yes, it will have a lot of hair on the sound... but that's what I intended! The most popular request is for an amp that does 'on-the-edge' well and BB certainly can do that! It's also very good with pedals too, which is what most player still use.

If you're looking for lots of clean headroom, then no low power amp will give you enough. There's simply no point in looking for a low power amp and then complain it's not clean enough! For serious cleans, you MUST be looking for a 50-100 Watt amp! Sessionette can do it easily and can compete with a Twin (when Sessionette is plugged into a similar 2 x 12" cab with the same type speakers).

You see, 100 Watts into two 12" speakers will produce more acoustic output that just one 12" speaker. With one speaker, the cone movement is extreme, so the cone suspension compresses the loudness. This is why 4 x12" cabs sound so loud and 'airy'... the speakers are all moving within their 'easy' travel.

Just to make you all think a bit... BluesBaby uses EXACTLY the same technology as the 1981 Sessionette design! So this shows that technology is NOT, as frequently credited, the reason for the very improved sounds BluesBaby can make. No, it's design knowledge and how to employ those components better is the real reason. Only a person and his knowledge can achieve those goals. Not bragging, but just want to take the focus away from 'technology' getting the credit always... it's rarely the case frankly!

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Sessionman; 11-05-2015 at 08:29 AM.

This software does not seem to be working well. I'm having to have two copies open... one to log in with and the other to reply to posts! Weird.

Saving after editing is also a problem and one reply didn't make it to the tread!

Yes, I put up your comments as this is a frequent question, as here too! Glad you didn't mind!

That sound nice! But, I try not to use vintage guitars for demos, because people always credit the guitar for the great sound... not the amp! Some players REALLY don't want an SS amp to be that good! I suppose it messes with their comfortable views about instruments and amps. But hey... life changes daily and this is just another one of those changes! Lol.

I'm not sure that BB is really an ideal jazz amp... well not any more than a DR, that is. I think it's more Roy Buchanan... but you may prove otherwise!

It's nice to hear some open mindedness here!

I bought the BB mainly to play jazz and blues. After watching the videos on your website I know it's a perfect fit for blues, will let you know if it does as well when playing jazz ��

Quote Originally Posted by eigenbart View Post
    I bought the BB mainly to play jazz and blues. After watching the videos on your website I know it's a perfect fit for blues, will let you know if it does as well when playing jazz ��
    I'm sure you'll do a good job! All the Fender amps have been used for jazz at one time or another, so on that score, I guess BB22 will be just as good or bad, depending on anyone's outlook! Lol

It's interesting that players think Jerry Donahue uses a clean sound, but he always tells everyone who mentions this that he likes a fairly 'hairy' sound. And that he never plays totally clean and he mainly uses an old Oatmeal AC15 these days on stage!

The guitar world has become so diverse and opinions very wildly, so there's absolutely no chance that any one amplifier can do everything that a modern guitarist thinks it should. Despite modelling technology... it still can't be achieved. Even they just 'don't do it' for many players.

Given the broad range of amplifiers available... I'm beginning to question the ability of many players on their skills at finding the sound that's in their head. I think also, many players are trying to copy sounds heard on record which not even the original artists can create live on stage. Recorded guitar sounds are often multi-layered, have at least 3 different microphones to mic the amp up... then there's a myriad of special effects to cloud the acoustic image even more... and players are thinking the amps are not able to 'do it'.

The answer? Perhaps range in our expectations and go back to square one, keep it simple, but more than anything, own several amps and switch between them on stage according to what you're playing. This is what I do and I have my own sound and playing style. I never try to copy anyone else's sound!

Rant over!

Quote Originally Posted by dortmundjazzguitar View Post
    when i studied in the netherlands in the 90's, there were sessionette75s in most combo rooms. i *loved* playing over those, but somehow forgot about them. after having tried or owned many amps including the dreaded AI-RE combo, i remembered the sessionette and finally bought a used one myself. best amp i've ever owned, and for me miles above the hendriksens, jazzkats, etc. i came across your site a while ago but was reluctant to consider my treasured sessionette for modding. would it even be possible to buy another used one and have it sent directly to you for modding? do you sell modded sessionettes? would you be interested in endorsers for your products?
    We do have a store of Sessionettes waiting to be upgraded... for nearly two years! But never get the time to do then, just too busy, sadly. Watch eBay is the best solution for now.

We don't have endorsees... never have. Except for Jan Ackerman many years ago.

Just received my BluesBaby22 I wanted to build my own cabinet but since I don't have a proper toolset and I'm quite busy now I ended up buying a tweed 5e3 combo cabinet. Let's connect the wires and see how this thing sounds!
    Attached Images Attached Images Interesting 22watt Fender(ish) design amp chassis UK-img_4967-jpg Interesting 22watt Fender(ish) design amp chassis UK-img_4966-jpg Interesting 22watt Fender(ish) design amp chassis UK-img_4959-jpg Interesting 22watt Fender(ish) design amp chassis UK-img_4958-jpg 

Cool! Does the cut-out for the control panel of the Deluxe cab match the BluesBaby's control panel?

Nope it's 6cm instead of the Blues Jr 5cm, I think I've found a way to cover the gap though, will post some pictures.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed