The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Anyone have experience with the Collings Eastside LC and have thoughts they'd like to share? I'm considering picking one up.

Collings Eastside LC - Looking for Opinions-collings-eastside-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Played one a while back in Tucson

I thought it was very nice ..... a wonderful acoustic sound for a laminate guitar IMHO

I thought it sounded just as good as the solid carved CL Jazz that I played

And the Eastside LC comes at a significantly lower price

And gorgeous as well

User Info Menu

I've got one. Extremely nice guitar. It is very loud acoustically, and has a clear bright voice.
    At times I find it a bit too clear and bright and I would prefer a warmer 175-ish sound.

User Info Menu

I was planning to buy one, based on the Collings I own, other Collings models I'd played, and reviews. I played the low-end one last week, and these were my impressions:

• Very nice mix of acoustic and electric sound
      • It wasn't different-enough soundwise from my archtops with floaters to justify a purchase

• Typical outstanding Collings workmanship - flawless in finish and feel
    • Too expensive for no "bling" (bound headstock, f-holes, etc).
      • If you can find one used it would be great

'Hope that helps, and keep us posted!

b_goat

User Info Menu

How do you string your Eastside?
    After experimenting with D'Addario EJ21, 12-52 (the strings mounted by Collings)
    and flatwound D'Addario Chromes (11-50) (with high E string replaced with 12)
    I settled on a custom string set of D'Addario roundwound
    12 - 15 -22 - 30 -40 -50
    which is exactly the D'Addario Chromes gauge (except for the 11 replaced by the 12 as above mentioned)
    but made of roundwound strings.

P.S. I have forgotten to say that I also tried Thomastik-Infeld Bebop 12-something..

User Info Menu

Hi Jazz-175. When I ordered my ED I noticed that Collings recommended Chromes and I must admit I find them way too bright for me…..on any of my guitars. I note that one of your styles is chord melody so I can understand why you would settle on round wounds. I am a fan of the 40's and 50's tone so I gravitate to thick flat wounds.

When I told Collings I wanted to use .014 to .056 on the guitar they actually had to bore out the holes in the tailpiece.
    If you tried to fit these gauges on your guitar they simply wouldn't pass through the holes……not that you would want thick flat wounds.

On those little practise videos I think I am using TI .012 to .053. I have since moved to a heavier set.
    I bought my CLJ second hand and had to get my luthier to bore the holes out……after getting strict instructions from Collings who were very helpful. Not an easy job as it's best done by hand.

Thing is I don't play the ESD at all anymore as I have totally fallen in love with the CLJ.
    I'm not a collector so I've been thinking about selling it and building up a fund to go towards a 60's Gibson Johnny Smith.
    I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

User Info Menu

I don't know if I can be defined a collector, given that I have several guitars.
    The fact is that I have rarely sold my guitars, because I like them and I like to play them a lot.
    However I play live gigs from time to time.
    Here is an excerpt from a gig a couple of months ago.
    I used my Collings Eastside LC with a Henriksen 112.
    The pedals I used in front of the amp were TC Hall of Fame Reverb and Wampler 65.

User Info Menu

When it comes to any Collings guitar you are guaranteed fit and finish that will be absolute top of the line - Another plus is they hold resale value so if you can buy used the rent is minimal - My experience has been the guitar voice is "the fundamental tone of wood and strings" - The ratio of dollar to value is hard to beat

User Info Menu

To the OP, Jim D: I don't feel that the Collings Eastside LC is all that different from the Sadowsky Jim Hall (in all departments) that you have (had?) to merit a change unless you just want to have a Collings.

The lowest I have seen the Collings Eastside LC sell for used is $3900. 2 dealers asked $4250 each for theirs as used guitars and they probably fetched those prices too.

I like Collings as much as I like Gibson but I cannot afford their asking prices. One day, perhaps.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-15-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks again all!

Jabberwocky - I did sell the Sadowsky, mostly because of the nut width. I like that the Collings is similar to the Sadowsky, but has a smaller nut width and a mahogany neck.

I'm in no hurry, so I think I'll wait until I can play one to decide. Unless I find a great deal on a used one before then...

User Info Menu

I must say that every time I pick it up I realise what a beautiful instrument it is and how fortunate I am to own it.
    At this point in time I find my desire for a JS slowly fading. The CLJ is supplying me with that spruce top/floater sound that I love. It seems to be getting better with time…….I wouldn't have thought that a thin line like the CLJ would improve.
    It seems like I don't have GAS anymore.
    So perhaps one could proclaim that "Collings guitars cure GAS"

User Info Menu

I played one a few weeks ago. I was really intending on buying it, but it reminded me way too much of my Taylor T5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco

I bought my CLJ second hand and had to get my luthier to bore the holes out……after getting strict instructions from Collings who were very helpful. Not an easy job as it's best done by hand.
    Hi Philco,

Do you happen to still have the instructions that Collings gave you on how to bore those holes?

thanks!

User Info Menu

No that info is back home but from what I remember:
    If you look down the holes in the tailpiece you will see a metal ring behind the wood. Probably a plate that runs the width of the tail piece.
    The ball ends of your strings must make good contact with these, otherwise you will have shielding problems and lots of noise. Obviously you don't drill through the metal!

From memory Collings said they use a different drill size on every hole.
    my Luthier did not have the exact set that would fit so he simply used a hand tool and worked at it for about an hour and a half. Just doing a few turns and testing the string.
    Not something I would do myself.
    Not sure what that tool is called.
    Sorry I can't be more specific.
    Last edited by Philco; 04-04-2015 at 05:32 AM.

Hi kkfan - The stock Eastside tailpiece can be limiting with your string choice, unless you have it drilled out to accept larger sizes. Unfortunately, I don't have directions for how to do this and it sounds like something that is best left to a professional unless you have good woodworking skills. I'd suggest contacting Collings Customer Service and asking them. They are very helpful.

I can tell you that many of the silk wrapped flatwound low E strings won't fit through it. TI 50 (in the standard flatwound 12 set) don't fit. The Rotosound Top Tape silk wrapped 52 and the Black Diamond Chromium Flatwound silk wrapped 52 are too big to fit as well. About a 52 non silk wrapped flatwound is as large at you can go with the stock tailpiece (standard DA Chrome 12 set do fit). Also a 56 non silk wrapped roundwound won't fit either.

Good luck!
    Last edited by jim dandy; 04-12-2015 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

I know this shouldn't be a determining factor, but I've never seen a major player using a collings Jazz axe. Acoustic guitars is a different story

User Info Menu

I think some of the younger jazz guitarists in the New York scene are endorsing Collings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    I know this shouldn't be a determining factor, but I've never seen a major player using a collings Jazz axe. Acoustic guitars is a different story
    Except Zac Brown. But why do you think more players don't play them?

Collings Eastside LC - Looking for Opinions-image-jpg
    Last edited by kkfan; 04-13-2015 at 12:54 AM.

User Info Menu

I just picked up a new Eastside LC from The Music Emporium, and I can say unequivocally that I've found my perma-guitar! As others have said, the craftsmanship is top-notch, fit n' finish unsurpassable. But the sound of this instrument is what's really impressing me. Some have said it's a little too acoustic-sounding, and it is that, but to my ear it brings a unique element to the typical jazz tone. This guitar has the Charlie Christian pickup, which I think offers a kind of sharpness or clarity you don't get in a humbucker. It looks hot too!

I'm playing it through a Princeton Reverb Reissue, which at bedroom volumes lets the natural sound of the guitar come through. Feedback resistance up to about 5, but I'm finding I have to turn away from the amp at higher levels. OK by me, since I tend to keep things around 4 anyway.

Looking forward to getting to know this instrument well over the years...

Here's a pic:

Collings Eastside LC - Looking for Opinions-img_1325-jpg

Beautiful guitar - thanks for sharing! Looks almost exactly like mine.

Your post reminded me that I should probably update this thread. I did buy a Collings Eastside about 6 months ago and wanted to wait until I had some time with it before posting. I've been through way more than my fair share of guitars and wanted to be certain I was through the honeymoon period first.

I completely agree with your assessment. It has the tone that I have been looking for for years but wasn't able to find before now. It has all the features I prefer - 16 inch body, laminate construction, thinner body depth, mahogany neck, shorter scale, parallel bracing, rosewood fretboard, and CC pickup - with a top notch build quality, fit and finish. It does have a bit more acoustic quality to it than other laminate guitars with set in pickups I've played, but it still predominately retains its amplified laminate qualities to my ears. For me, the Eastside does everything I ever wanted/needed from a jazz guitar.

Something to keep in mind is that Collings has changed the bracing specs from X braced on the earlier guitars (sn 84 or so and earlier) to parallel bracing on the later ones and offers optional maple necks and ebony fretboards. I've tried the X bracing and found it to have a much more acoustic quality to it as opposed to the parallel bracing. Also, the maple neck and ebony fretboard options may lend a more brighter quality to the guitar than the mahogany/rosewood.

Finally, I had a great experience working with both the Collings guitar company and The Music Emporium. Both top notch groups!

User Info Menu

Congratulations for the new acquisitions!
    By the way Collings has just released the Eastside Jazz LC,
    From the Website

New for 2015, the Eastside Jazz LC is a sleekly contoured archtop guitar that bridges the gap between our popular Eastside LC and CL Jazz models. With a fully hollow 15" laminate body and a Charlie Christian-style pickup by Jason Lollar, the Eastside LC brings highly refined and balanced jazz tone to the table in a comfortable and ergonomic size.

Standard Features Include:

• Select figured maple laminate body & mahogany neck
    • 15" fully hollow construction with parallel bracing
    • Aged white top/back binding
    • Graceful unbound S-Holes
    • High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
    • Unbound flared peghead
    • 15 degree headstock angle
    • Ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
    • Rosewood or ebony fingerboard
    • Archtop mortise and tenon neck joint
    • 22 Frets, neck joins the body at the 16th fret
    • Medium-Fat "C" neck shape
    • 12" Fingerboard radius
    • 1 11/16" Bone nut
    • 24 7/8" Scale length
    • Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
    • Mother of pearl dot fingerboard inlays
    • Fully adjustable truss rod
    • Black phenolic pickup ring and black or amber top hat knobs
    • Single Lollar Charlie Christian pickup
    • Modern wiring scheme
    • CTS 500K pots and Jupiter Yellow Vintage Tone capacitors
    • Custom floating ebony bridge and tailpiece
    • Switchcraft output jack
    • Nickel Gotoh SG301 tuners w/ vintage-style buttons 1:18 ratio
    • Recommended string gauge - D'Addario (.012"-.052" wound G)
    • Collings deluxe hardshell case by Ameritage

User Info Menu

Glad you pulled the trigger on this one. It's such a gem.

I'd heard about the bracing situation and somewhere on this forum read that the CC pickup is better with parallel bracing than a humbucker. Technical stuff, but the proof is in the puddin', eh?

Thanks for your warning above, too, about string sizes. I'm putting on a set of Chromes, 11-50, so forewarned was forearmed.

(Meant this to be a reply to Jim Dandy, but I might have botched it...)
    Last edited by SpoonMcD; 07-18-2015 at 05:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I was in Gryphon Stringed Instruments last week looking for a classical guitar for my son. He is really starting to get into it and I wanted to get him something that will inspire him over the years the way that good guitars inspire me.

While he was auditioning some guitars I decided to try out an Eastside LC deep bodied prototype that just came in. The amplified sound and overall playability was wonderful. Very different than my other archtops and just kind of made me grin from ear to ear. It even had a little of that "thunk" that some of you here talk about.

Yada yada...total impulse buy...my son and I both shared a memorable NGD.

Jazz_175, I need to pick your brain to find out how you EQ your Henriksen with your Eastside. I watched and enjoyed your Youtube clip that you posted a while ago. I have not had time to dial mine in yet, but think that a similar tone is in there somewhere. My Carr Impala loved this thing instantly, which is the exact opposite of my other archtops.

Here are a few pics. Looks like Spoon's cousin.

Last edited by kid335; 07-18-2015 at 10:07 PM.

User Info Menu

SpoonMcD,
    The first time I played an Eastside through an Impala was at Namm 2013. I liked it so much that I ended up buying the actual demo amp. I think its a very good combo and would think that a Twin would sound just as good or even better. I played it through a Sportsman at Gryphon and it just did not have enough headroom. My Eastside has good acoustic volume but other than that, its really an electric guitar and to my ear sounds better with a tube amp so far. I plan on posting a quick sound clip once I figure out my new interface and mic.

KKfan,
    I read somewhere that it is 3 inches deep, X braced and has a higher wind Lollar Imperial. I believe this is one of 4 prototypes. I would love to hear why they decided to slim it down and change the bracing when they went into production. I'm thinking it might have something to do with streamlining the production process, but thats a total guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kid335
    I read somewhere that it is 3 inches deep, X braced and has a higher wind Lollar Imperial. I believe this is one of 4 prototypes. I would love to hear why they decided to slim it down and change the bracing when they went into production. I'm thinking it might have something to do with streamlining the production process, but thats a total guess.
    I see your guitar has a humbucker pickup.
    I don't think they changed the bracing when the Eastside went into production.
    They reduced the body width but the guitar was still X braced with humbucker Lollar high wind.
    At some point they started a new parallel braced production line, same body size and width, with CC pickup.
    That's what I understood from the Collings forum.
    (thanks for the appreciation about the youtube video)