The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 129

User Info Menu

Did you regret not getting a solid top?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The 403 is slightly more expensive than the 371, but I guess the choice between the two would be mostly personal preference. I've never played a 371. The 503 is a 403 with a solid spruce top and some ebony replacing rosewood. I've never played a 503 either, but I would guess that it could sound somewhat different both acoustically and electrically. I enjoy playing the (stock) 403 acoustically and love playing it electrically - mostly through a stock Henriksen JazzAmp 112. I wonder if the 503 would be more susceptable to feedback, whereas the 403 is reasonably feedback resistant. Personally, I wouldn't have any use or desire for an added bridge pickup on this type of guitar. I should add that it did need some modest post-purchase pro setup work when it was brand new, but it has stabilized nicely over the past almost 2 years and hasn't needed much additional tweaking since then.
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 12-21-2013 at 06:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by qualizon
    Did you regret not getting a solid top?
    Not at all. I had an eastman 805ce a while back and couldn't use it with a band of much volume. I prefer laminate guitars for my needs. But it depends on how you'd use it.

Compared to a laminate ibanez guitars I've owned, the eastmans have a much thinner finish and better acoustic tonality.

User Info Menu

W/out a doubt Eastman's are the best deals in archtops and 175/335 guitars at the moment. Hand made/laquer finishes,low prices. If there are any draw backs for me it is the thinner necks. I'm partial to fatter/deeper profile necks. They are certainly wide enough at 1&3/4". I actually got lucky and have a 810CE and most recently a 803CE w/ a bit larger profile necks. But these are certainly not the norm for most of their current guitars. You'll be very happy w/ your purchase, congratulations!

User Info Menu

Looks like we've got a little AR403 club starting to take form!

User Info Menu

Those pics are beautiful guys! They're making me even more excited. Lol
    I got one brand new for less than $700.

User Info Menu

I have a 403 sunburst. I put in a Lollar humbucker-sized CC and I really like it! There was nothing wrong with the stock pup, I just don't like humbuckers

I've played (at the guitar store) lots of Eastman models, and I own a very nice non-cutaway acoustic 905, but for amplified jazz thunk, I think laminated is the way to go. And the 403 is hands down my favorite right now.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Those vids are a pretty good representation of what mine sounds like. I put a Gibson 57 Classic and new electronics in it
    but quite frankly the difference is pretty subtle.

For a laminated body, set-in pickup guitar it has more acoustic presence than you might think.
    Definately more acoustic sounding than the Epi Emperor and similar guitars I've had.

I had mine for sale for no particular reason but I may keep it now. It can sound a lot like Julian Lage's Manzer and he's my
    fav player these days.

User Info Menu

A couple live clips of my AR403 in a quartet setting (lots of audience noise though):

User Info Menu

Yea, sounds great. What amp and strings are you using?

User Info Menu

Have you tried the TI bebops by chance? I thought about buying a couple of sets for the 403. I didn't know if they would work or not, I've read some people having a hard time stringing up TI strings on Eastman guitars due to the silk rapping.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried the TI Bebop rounds myself. But as far as stringing the TI Swings up, it is a little tricky getting the silk wrapping through the tailpiece slots. Just takes a little jiggling to work them through and a smidge of patience. The good thing is I'm finding these strings last me approximately 6 months.

User Info Menu

Hallpass - loved the clips, for sake of perspective on the tone - how was it recorded?

Keep the Swing 13s on the 403, definitely try the Bebops on your 386.

User Info Menu

I need to change up the strings on my t386 (just got it and not sure what they are, maybe 10's?). I definitely want more of a jazz flavor without going round wound. Would ti bebop 11's really be that big of difference?

I'm absolutely blown away with the t386 and am starting to think about getting a 403 or the equivalent dual pickup. My t386 had impeccible fretwork and a absolutely straight neck. The finish work is actually really good on this one. I bought a blem'd one I'd ebay for cheap. Had a small ding and some laquer checking on lower rim.

I just sold a $4500 dollar guitar with more finish imperfections and a neck hump to boot. Amazing what Eastman is doing at this price. I will probably be more cautious buying a 403, wait for a used one I can try first.

These guitars look amazing in the photos! Congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    I need to change up the strings on my t386 (just got it and not sure what they are, maybe 10's?).
    According to tbe eastman website, the strings from the factory are D’Addario XL115 .011-.049. That happens to be a set I like and use.

Congrats on the t386. It and the ar403 make a nice pair!

User Info Menu

Okay, I got the guitar in and it is really cool for the price. The action could be lower, but that's no biggie, besides I'm use to higher action anyway. I'm curious though, for those that own this guitar, how does it look where the neck attaches to the body? There is a big line of glue that stands out to me. Is that normal? I'll upload a pic soon, just thought I would ask.

User Info Menu

My AR403CE was brand new also but marked with a #2. They sell discounted new ones with slight blemishes as seconds but if you payed full price and yours is not a second then that kind of finish problem should not be common. My other 3 Eastman guitars were not seconds and they were perfect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzrat
    My AR403CE was brand new also but marked with a #2. They sell discounted new ones with slight blemishes as seconds but if you payed full price and yours is not a second then that kind of finish problem should not be common. My other 3 Eastman guitars were not seconds and they were perfect.
    When you say marked with a #2, where is it marked? On the certificit or the actual guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    When you say marked with a #2, where is it marked? On the certificit or the actual guitar?
    Mine is marked on the back of the headstock

User Info Menu

From what I see there are finish imperfections with most eastmans I've seen. Binding imperfections on mine include finish bleeding and spots where the glue is imperfect. That said I had the same issues with a boutique guitar I had.
    I expected this so I waited to find one on discount and saved a couple hundred. Makes it easy to forget those things.
    Expect a discount for major finish problems, but minor ones are the norm

User Info Menu

Yea I got mine brand new for $699 shipped. I feel kinda bad complaining for such a cheap price, but at the same time it being new I was hoping to have something that doesn't have a blemish that stands out when a playing it.

User Info Menu

Eastman AR403-image-jpg

Love my Eastmans.
    Attached Images Attached Images Eastman AR403-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    Yea I got mine brand new for $699 shipped. I feel kinda bad complaining for such a cheap price, but at the same time it being new I was hoping to have something that doesn't have a blemish that stands out when a playing it.
    That is a very good price. If it were me, for that price, that finish imperfection wouldn't bother me as long as you are happy with the guitar itself. But YOU need to be happy, and if it really stands out to you, you probably should return it if you're not happy. I think I got mine for like $750 shipped and still think that is a good deal for the quality of instrument I got (including the minor blemish on mine). I truly love my ar403. Significantly better than the Ibanez artcores (af105,ak105) I had which were blemish free but not as nice instruments to me.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 05-03-2014 at 10:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    That is a very good price. If it were me, for that price, that finish imperfection wouldn't bother me as long as you are happy with the guitar itself. But YOU need to be happy, and if it really stands out to you, you probably should return it if you're not happy. I think I got mine for like $750 shipped and still think that is a good deal for the quality of instrument I got (including the minor blemish on mine). I truly love my ar403. Significantly better than the Ibanez artcores (af105,ak105) I had which were blemish free but not as nice instruments to me.
    Well Mark from Eastman called me today. I sent him some pics upon his request and then he called back telling me that he didn't like the way it looked. He apologized for the inconvenience and put in an order for it to be replaced. He said he would have it setup with the action a little lower, plus he would have the new one brought to him to be inspected before it shipped out. He was very polite and helpful. I thought I would share about the quality customer service Eastman has showed me. I'm very pleased!