The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Hi I'm new to the forum.
    Anyone have this happen to one of these Ibanez Artcore AFJ57's?

Exploding tailpiece - Ibanez Artcore AFJ57-snaaap-jpg

I hadn't played the guitar for a couple months. I was tuning the guitar the other night and the tailpiece snapped. I realize these are cheap Chinese made guitars, but is this indicative of these Ibanez guitars or did I just get a bad one.

I bought this guitar used and had it set up by a local luthier. Any leads on getting a replacement tailpiece that isn't cheap crap would be appreciated. I'm waiting on a response from Ibanez about replacement parts.

Exploding tailpiece - Ibanez Artcore AFJ57-img_0079-jpgExploding tailpiece - Ibanez Artcore AFJ57-img_0080-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They've (Hoshino) always been good about replacements. Usually they'd take in the old guitar and just ship you out a new one... that was a little while ago. Tell us how they respond these days. The Asian factories that make them get the Ibanez contracts because they make good stuff cheap. They cut corners on using cheap brittle metal. The back room was filled with replacement parts from cannibalized warrantee guitars. A guitar comes in with a broken tailpiece and there is a new stock of replacement parts.
    Good luck.
    David

User Info Menu

Ibanez are not the only ones that had issues with their tailpieces:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...tailpiece.html

I hope not to have problem with the 2 Chinese ES 175 style trapeze tailpieces I got from Ebay...

So far so good on my Regent and JP strung with 13-56

I hope I have as much success with Ibanez as some other players had with D'A. No reply to an email I sent to Ibanez yet.

User Info Menu

Send them another e-mail and tell them that you've posted on this forum. Send them a link.

I bet they will respond soon.

User Info Menu

i had the same issue with an ibanez af125

Little update.

Ibanez never responded to the 3 emails I sent. I finally had the time and mindset to telephone Ibanez support. The replacement part will cost me $188 and will be warrantied for 1 year. They denied that there was a problem with the manufacturing of the tailpieces and had no interest in checking out the photos I posted here. This was by far the worst instrument purchase in my life. I will never buy another Ibanez.

User Info Menu

Strange, I had a faulty bridge on an Ibanez I sent them a photo and the serial number of the guitar and they posted me a new one free. Perhaps it's because you bought it used and don't know what the previous owner subjected it to.
    Last edited by TonyB56; 05-08-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpvi
    Little update.

Ibanez never responded to the 3 emails I sent. I finally had the time and mindset to telephone Ibanez support. The replacement part will cost me $188 and will be warrantied for 1 year. They denied that there was a problem with the manufacturing of the tailpieces and had no interest in checking out the photos I posted here. This was by far the worst instrument purchase in my life. I will never buy another Ibanez.
    interesting. Thanks for letting people know. New Ibanez are herewith off my purchase list. Little things like this cost them much more than sending you the replacement part.

Btw- Not knowing the legal situation in the country in which you live - why dont you sue them? This seems like a rather clear case of warranty in a sales of goods transaction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in London
    Btw- Not knowing the legal situation in the country in which you live - why dont you sue them? This seems like a rather clear case of warranty in a sales of goods transaction.
    Not quite. First, the guitar was bought used, and in many cases the warranty applies to the original buyer only. Second, since it's a second hand guitar, it may well be past the expiry of the warranty period (typically 1 year for factory made products).

One could perhaps expect them to replace the tailpiece "par culance" - it would certainly be good for their reputation - but that's another matter and nothing one can sue for.

As for never wanting to buy an Ibanez guitar anymore, it might be a tad exaggerated. We have heard about repeated cases of broken tailpieces on early Eastman guitars, but I have not before this post heard about it happening with an Ibanez guitar before (though I'm sure it must have happened, but only so rare that it has passed under the "statistical significance radar"). In my book, Ibanez make good instruments which offers good value for the money - but of course, as with everything else, "s*** happens" every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Not quite. First, the guitar was bought used, and in many cases the warranty applies to the original buyer only. Second, since it's a second hand guitar, it may well be past the expiry of the warranty period (typically 1 year for factory made products).

One could perhaps expect them to replace the tailpiece "par culance" - it would certainly be good for their reputation - but that's another matter and nothing one can sue for.

As for never wanting to buy an Ibanez guitar anymore, it might be a tad exaggerated. We have heard about repeated cases of broken tailpieces on early Eastman guitars, but I have not before this post heard about it happening with an Ibanez guitar before (though I'm sure it must have happened, but only so rare that it has passed under the "statistical significance radar"). In my book, Ibanez make good instruments which offers good value for the money - but of course, as with everything else, "s*** happens" every now and then.
    Sure - that changes the picture. If it's a second hand deal, then there is no claim and I can (to some extent) understand Ibanez' position. I may have misread your post, no offence.

User Info Menu

IMHO when such blatant defect is obvious a company should try its best to accomodate the customer even if it was acquired 2nd hand...
    Asking 188$ for a cheap chinese TP that they probably pay for much much less is not good business practice.
    Now they have lost a potential future buyer and probably a lot more as word of mouth goes very fast on the net....just type afj57 in google for instance...
    Last edited by vinlander; 05-08-2014 at 11:47 AM.

User Info Menu

that's too bad.
    7 string tailpiece is harder to replace.

User Info Menu

I see. You had a part break on a used guitar you paid maybe $250 for. That does suck. However, now you feel you are entitled to a lifetime full coverage warranty conferred upon anyone in possession of an instrument with Ibanez on the headstock. Seriously? You made a choice when you bought this. You chose cheap and no support. You can choose to have a lifetime warranty but that involves a new instrument and paying a price reflecting that level of support.

So.. go to one of the many fine online guitar parts houses, find a nice $20 tailpiece, and install it.
    Last edited by Spook410; 05-08-2014 at 01:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    IMHO when such blatant defect is obvious a company should try its best to accomodate the customer even if it was acquired 2nd hand...
    Asking 188$ for a cheap chinese TP that they probably pay for much much less is not good business practice.
    Now they have lost a potential future buyer and probably a lot more as word of mouth goes very fast on the net....just type afj57 in google for instance...
    You can't possibly know it was a defect without knowing what the guitar was subjected to by the previous owner. Why does everybody these days expect something for nothing? I've owned probably in excess of 20 Ibanez guitars over the years ranging from SC classics to hollowbodies, I currently have 4 Ibanez jazz boxes, I've not had problems with any Ibanez guitar other than a flawed rosewood bridge which was replaced by Ibanez free of charge, I find their products exellent and certainly wouldn't hesitate buying them in the future. I can find no reference to an Artcore AFJ57 so it's possibly a discontinued model or it's an AFJ957.
    Last edited by TonyB56; 05-08-2014 at 04:13 PM.

User Info Menu

When you look closely at the breaking point it is obvious its the cheap brittle metal also used on some other TP that had the same issue.
    Accommodate doesn't mean for free, just to be a bit less greedy...

User Info Menu

Hi John,
    It's always a drag when a part fails, but, on positive note, it's an opportunity to upgrade your guitar. Take a look at this Benedetto archtop tailpiece on Stewmac. It's a definite improvement on the model fitted, so perhaps you could see if Stewmac can source a 7 string version or alternatively get a luthier to make you one. Better than writing off a guitar.

STEWMAC.COM : Benedetto Archtop Tailpiece

User Info Menu

You bought a used guitar and to expect to the manufacturer to honor the warranty is foolish. You have a nice guitar and the options for tailpieces are endless. ES175 types, Byrdland types, Ms Lora from TeamYolanda can make you the a replica of the tailpiece used on the AR880 John Pisano for something close to $80.00 american that is far nicer than what you HAD that broke.

Man up.

User Info Menu

The tail piece on my guitar snapped after approximately 15 minutes of use from new, using the strings it was supplied with. On inspection it is made of cheap pot metal. I don't want to fit a replacement part from Ibanez as I have no faith in it's quality, so I will look for a suitable higher quality replacement.

User Info Menu

I just bought a used AFJ91 in sunset red
    and the TP had already been swapped out for a basic Gibson ES type trapeze TP in gold ...
    It works properly and looks good (to me)

Id say swap the TP , go for it , don't compromise on the string gauge you wanna use !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane

I've heard of 'sploding tailpieces on many makes of guitar. I wouldn't let that put me off a guitar that sounded great, no matter the marque.

Whenever i buy a guitar of whatever brand, I expect some problems.

It's a shame their customer service is so lackadaisical, though, and if I were buying new, that would certainly factor into the go/no-go decision. But I rarely buy new. Buying used, I expect no support, and plan for changes/upgrades/repairs on my own.

Sorry if that's not too helpful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Yeah, I marry divorced women. Then I can blame our problems on the earlier husbands.
    Why are there so many separate threads on the same problem here all of a sudden?
    David
    David, "Spongebob" kicked four threads about broken tailpieces to the top of the heap.
    I just checked his Profile and Forum Posts, all four are threads he updated about his broken tailpiece.

Welcome to the forum Spongebob
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 08-17-2017 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

My apologies for reviving zombie threads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    My apologies for reviving zombie threads
    Fresh takes on relevant topics are always welcome, Spongebob. The problem with reviving many threads is people may weigh in on one, and anybody reading the threads of the others may not see it; or hunting down responses to a comment posted becomes a scavenger hunt/search for that particular thread (now where WAS that great comment BigMike made... I thought it was here...). You get it.
    Often when multiple threads may be started around the same time, (Orville Gibson passed... etc) and several threads are posted at once, the administrator will merge them, but with old multiple threads it's not possible.

That's all.

Hope you find a good piece of tail. New strings attached.

David