The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 70 of 70

User Info Menu

My big Jazz box has an A3n/A2b modded Duncan Jazz set.

They're not going anywhere anytime soon.
    Last edited by LtKojak; 08-16-2017 at 03:38 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thinking of switching out my KA in my 371 for a Fralin Standard Humbucker. Anyone try this?

User Info Menu

Maybe Im the only one sticking up for the HPAN-1...I spent a little time with my AR503 balancing the poles and pickup height and I really like the sound of this guitar. It does have a solid top but the guitar is nothing flash. Anyway - dont see a need to change over!

User Info Menu

I put a Lollar Charlie Christian in Humbucker format in my AR371. Strung with La Bella 20PCMs it no longer has the brightness folks seem to dislike in these guitars. It has much more of that something we like in the Gibson...

I owe a NGD photoset of the result.

User Info Menu

Thinking of putting a Lollar CC in my AR371. Did you find there was a lot of hum?

User Info Menu

I would benefit from some advice about setting my new Eastman AR371 (neck) pickup height. I mean distance from first and sixth strings. I am new to electric guitars and archtops in particular.

User Info Menu

Set it to whatever height sounds best to you. Experiment with it by raising and lowering it until you get the sound you like best. There is no mandatory height, that's why they're easily adjustable through a wide range. You will get different tones at different heights, and your preferred tone is nobody else's. Once you get the height set as you ike it, you can adjust the polepieces to balance string volumes.

User Info Menu

Thicker/darker closer to the strings, quieter and more acoustic tone when lowered.

User Info Menu

Yes, I recognize that the stock KA sounds trebly, thin and glassy. I had that in my new 372 and disliked it. But I solved this, at least according to my ears, without changing pups. As you can see in the pic I lowered the neck pup all the way down and rolled down the tone to about 1-2. My amp has treble, mid and bass to 12 oclock. Now the sounds is wonderful and warm without losing definition. In fact, now using both pickups gives an absolutely great extra sound, slightly more electric, but definitely jazz. I did not touch the bridge pickup except for lowering tone to about 1. And this is with rounds 012, I haven't even changed to flats 013 yet, which I intend to do.

Pickup replacement for Eastman AR371-whatsapp-image-2020-10-30-17-03-10-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm planning to order the following for my 372.
    Bare Knuckle HSP90 Manhattan (set)
    I don't see any in the US except for a used one on reverb going for new retail price. I plan to just order a set from the UK and ship to USA.

I'm also planning to get this install kit:
    Single Cut Long Shaft Installation Kit
    66.32 Euros excl. VAT
    Accessories Shop | Component Kits | Bare Knuckle Pickups

Has anyone used the install it and found it worth it? I'm not great at soldering but can get it done as the pots have extensions to solder on (I just have trouble soldering directly to the body of the pots).
    Is it worth using their cloth wiring, or better to look for something shielded in this scenario?
    I'll likely want to replace the switch as well, since the stock one rattles.

Would a pre-soldered kit from GuitarFetish work just as well? The folks at Bare Knuckle really seem to know their stuff so I'm a bit inclined to put the work into using their kit.
    Lastly, I'm having intonation trouble going flat on the 3rd string (using GHS brite flats). I'll try a new set, but has anyone had to modify or replace their bridge on this guitar?
    And (really) lastly, would I be correct in assuming a bigsby of any type is a bad idea for this guitar, being full hollow body without reinforcement? Just spitballing ideas but if I were to replace the bridge, I did like my Gretsch with bigsby and roller bridge (no longer have it). Definitely not set on doing this type of extreme mod tho.
    Really just wanting to do the pickups for sure.

User Info Menu

On 2nd thought - can anyone here recommend if I should just leave the stock wiring / pots, or if the Manhattans would benefit from replacing them anyway? I'll likely just have a local tech do the work for me.

User Info Menu

When I changed the pickups in my AR 371 I just swapped out the pickup and left the pots and it works like a charm. The 372 is a bit more complicated which increases my tendency to leave them alone...

User Info Menu

Looking for opinions on Parsons Street vintage unpotted PAF from Golden Age at stewmac.

Pickups were swapped but might switch the neck.
    Pots appeared to be CTS 500k with .022 caps, so kept that.

I went with:
    Neck - Bare Knuckles Manhattan HSP90 (unpotted)
    Bridge - Golden Age Parsons Street PAF - Alnico 2 (unpotted)

The Manhattan height is set LOWWW and the Parson Street (bridge) set high to (almost) even the volumes. The Manhattan is way louder. I dont mind lowering it as it makes the notes clear.
    Sound-wise I like it, but had no idea how bad the Electromagnetic Interference is in my house. I use a Line 6 Pod GO with headphones and various cables / wireless transmitters. Tried it all with battery instead of wall power. It's not 60 cycle grounding hum but just TONS of EMI from my PC and monitors. Shutting them off helps somewhat, but the house in general seems bad even when shutting everything off. I play my guitar in front of the PC / monitors as all my material is PDF / Video / Truefire online based. Even my humbucker guitars get a little interference but as I've found out the single coil is noise city in my home. I went to another building and it was fine. I'd rather not fight it.
    Compressors seem to make it much worse.
    Noise gates make it tolerable but I do still hear some noise when playing quietly. I have to set my noise gates to where I still hear (some) noise when not playing; otherwise the engage/disengage bothers me.

I'm thinking of swapping the neck (Manhattan) to another Parsons Street PAF neck version.
    Thinking of unpotted Alnico 5 instead of Alnico 2 for the neck to keep the bass notes clear (hopefully it's not too bright on the treble?)

Does anyone have an opinion on this - weather alnico 5 would be wise, and if the unpotted Parsons Street PAF in the neck would sound almost as good as the Manhattan HSP90 for jazz? I'm not gigging - nor am I experienced in sounds & effects. Just looking for something with nice clean jazz comping tone...versatile enough for some jazz blues & occasional gypsy strumming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier1981
    Looking for opinions on Parsons Street vintage unpotted PAF from Golden Age at stewmac.

Pickups were swapped but might switch the neck.
    Pots appeared to be CTS 500k with .022 caps, so kept that.

I went with:
    Neck - Bare Knuckles Manhattan HSP90 (unpotted)
    Bridge - Golden Age Parsons Street PAF - Alnico 2 (unpotted)

The Manhattan height is set LOWWW and the Parson Street (bridge) set high to (almost) even the volumes. The Manhattan is way louder. I dont mind lowering it as it makes the notes clear.
    Sound-wise I like it, but had no idea how bad the Electromagnetic Interference is in my house. I use a Line 6 Pod GO with headphones and various cables / wireless transmitters. Tried it all with battery instead of wall power. It's not 60 cycle grounding hum but just TONS of EMI from my PC and monitors. Shutting them off helps somewhat, but the house in general seems bad even when shutting everything off. I play my guitar in front of the PC / monitors as all my material is PDF / Video / Truefire online based. Even my humbucker guitars get a little interference but as I've found out the single coil is noise city in my home. I went to another building and it was fine. I'd rather not fight it.
    Compressors seem to make it much worse.
    Noise gates make it tolerable but I do still hear some noise when playing quietly. I have to set my noise gates to where I still hear (some) noise when not playing; otherwise the engage/disengage bothers me.

I'm thinking of swapping the neck (Manhattan) to another Parsons Street PAF neck version.
    Thinking of unpotted Alnico 5 instead of Alnico 2 for the neck to keep the bass notes clear (hopefully it's not too bright on the treble?)

Does anyone have an opinion on this - weather alnico 5 would be wise, and if the unpotted Parsons Street PAF in the neck would sound almost as good as the Manhattan HSP90 for jazz? I'm not gigging - nor am I experienced in sounds & effects. Just looking for something with nice clean jazz comping tone...versatile enough for some jazz blues & occasional gypsy strumming.
    I have no thoughts about the Parsons Street pickup, but to address the P90 noise problem I suggest checking out the Electro Harmonix Hum Debugger pedal. It works very well.

User Info Menu

I don't think chasing pickups for the Eastman 371/372 goes very far.

No matter what you put in, it just won't sound like an ES-175.
    I only say that because I did that Eastman chase around.
    I have a 175 now & the chase is over.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I don't think chasing pickups for the Eastman 371/372 goes very far.

No matter what you put in, it just won't sound like an ES-175.
    I only say that because I did that Eastman chase around.
    I have a 175 now & the chase is over.
    I've not played a 175 but would like to at some point. I was really just trying to get some more low end clarity.
    I'm curious - did you go with Gibson or Epiphone? I could see getting an Epiphone at some point but I'm nowhere near talented enough to justify the cost of a Gibson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier1981
    I've not played a 175 but would like to at some point. I was really just trying to get some more low end clarity.
    I'm curious - did you go with Gibson or Epiphone? I could see getting an Epiphone at some point but I'm nowhere near talented enough to justify the cost of a Gibson.
    I have a Gibson, but I did previously own the Ephiphone premium model they put out a few years ago.
    The Epiphone had a very nice vibe, but the Gibson ES 175 is an icon for a reason. It seems to have that dark smokey jazz tone built right in there.

User Info Menu

--So I'm almost done (I think).
    So I've played around a bit. For the time being I can't put the money into a 175. I do prefer the feel of the Eastman AR372CE... I have the action lower than my shredder and the extra nut width allows me to play clean.
    I've already sold the stock pickups so I can't go back to those. Honestly I'm thinking I should have kept them in and avoided the work and tone chasing since I'm sort of a beginner/intermediate.

I currently have the Bare Knuckle Manhattan P90 Neck, and Parson Street Alnico 2 vintage style Unpotted PAF in the bridge. (I'd never use that bridge pup alone unless I played surf / rockabilly / country. It's super twangy and bright).
    Issues: too much noise in P90 (my house has issues), and the P90 way overpowers the Parson Street PAF (even with PUP hight adjustments).

I'm either going to:
    Put another Manhattan in the bridge, and hook up a Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger
    -or
    Put a Parsons Street PAF in the neck and not worry about having another pedal (hum debugger) to hook up to my helix / pod go.

I will say the P90 is very bright in this guitar. I can't get a super fat tone out of it like the stock pickups did, but it's not really a deal breaker. The clarity is awesome.
    Just having a tough time deciding between another P90 in the bridge with a hum debugger,

-Or if I go with another Parsons Street PAF in the neck, if an alnico 5 would be best for lower note clarity, or if this (already bright) guitar would play best with an alnico 2 in the neck.
    Being lower output I'm wondering if either one would sound more clear than the stock pickups and if alnico 2 would give a better tone from the neck.

The main problem is there are *no* clean jazz demos of the Parsons Street pickups. I think I found one recorded with a phone that had background noise and didn't mention the magnet.
    Everything on youtube is with distortion.

User Info Menu

I put Seth Lovers into my AR372 and really like them. I base that mainly on the fact I seem to grab it to play more after putting them in...and it's been over a year or so.

User Info Menu

Newbie here and my first post! I just got an AR372 last week, so I thought this might be a good place to jump in.

I had a DA EXL1 for a few months, but it was just too much of a feedback magnet... The AR is much more feedback resistant, although it doesn't have the DA's super sweet tones... On the other hand, the AR, with two pickups, has three good, distinct tones, and the bridge in particular impresses me because its a pickup I generally don't like, and the two together, another position I don't usually like, is quite good. Maybe its still the honeymoon, but those two positions sound better than any other guitar I have, or have had... That right there makes it a valuable addition, and of course it can do rock and blues with authority as well as jazz.

My other guitars are a Broadcaster reissue and an American Professional Stratocaster. I play through a Little Walter 22W and a Nolatone Rotten Johnny (fantastic clean tones despite the name).

I'm very happy with the AR so far, but I get what others have said about the pickups lacking character. I'd like a little more "air" in the neck, but overall not bad for the price and I'm not champing at the bit to change them.

Related to that, I wanted to throw in my two cents on pickup height. The main thing I adjust for is a good tone around the 12th to 16th frets. If I do the adjustments on the lower frets it seems that the height ends up being too high for a good tone in the higher frets, where it can sound too spiky and choked. Anyway, that seems to work for me.

So, just my newbie two cents and all the best to everyone on this great forum!

Gary