The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Which amp do you prefer?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roland Cube 60

27 19.29%
  • Roland cube 80x

41 29.29%
  • Roland JC-90

18 12.86%
  • Fender blues junior

13 9.29%
  • Fender hot rod deluxe

29 20.71%
  • Fender blues deluxe

18 12.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 126

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I don't understand why Crate amps are never mentioned, because millions and millions got sold and used successfully by everyone. Nobody wants to admit it...
    My first amp was Crate... it was a good deal for a beginner.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Blackheart is the new Crate. Loud Technologies did a branding reset because so many people loved to hate Crate. It seems to have worked. Blackheart doesn't get the hate that Crate used to get.

User Info Menu

I don't understand why Crate amps are never mentioned, because millions and millions got sold and used successfully by everyone. Nobody wants to admit it...
    One of my favorite gigging amps was a Crate. I forget the model, but it was all tube, one 12" Celestion, two channels, with two separate reverb settings (one for each channel) and was covered in white Tolex. Looked sharp, sounded great. Bought two. One was trouble-free, the other resisted several attempts to rectify its problem (the clean channel had erratic volume issues). I ended up trading in the good one to get an Alvarez-Yairi flattop acoustic/w onboard electronics to do a run of Man of La Mancha. I miss that amp.

User Info Menu

I use small, portable amps for gigging. My practice amp (Koch Twintone III head on a 4x12 slantback Koch cab) stays in one place:
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-24-2017 at 02:59 AM.

User Info Menu

The Roland Boss Cubes are excellent for Floating Pickup Archtops. That said for overall use with electrics as well my vote is for Quilter Aviator since it has 3 advantages to the Fender Platform it's based on.

1.) Light Weight
    2.) No tubes or further costs incurred!
    3.) Doesn't depend on wall voltage. Always sounds consistant!

User Info Menu

I'd have to go with a wall of Pignoses myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Where's Other or None of above.

Plus girls will like you because you'll smell good since you won't be spending your laundry money on replacing tubes. <grin>
    We know you're just joking here but it is possible that the OP could be a young woman.

User Info Menu

I’m selling my Henriksen JazzAmp 110 if you’re interested. I also have an early 80s Polytone Mini Brute III for sale. Both amps are in very good condition.

User Info Menu

Some things I've learned over the years...

- a lot of venues have small areas to set up the band and the close proximity of an electric bass tends to acoustically drive a hollow body jazz box even at moderate levels, so it helps to take a moment considering how to get the most distance from the bass amp.

- in situations where a jazz box is played rather close to the guitar amp, I have found that 2x12 amps like Twin Reverbs move a little too much air even at moderate levels and tend to promote feedback, whereas in the same situation and level a single 10 inch speaker like in the Princeton Reverb seems to be immune of this problem.

- I really like the sound of a big tube amp like the Twin or the Super Reverb played well down in output level, with the tones set 1-10-1 (treble, middle, bass, respectively). This setting makes solid body electrics approach the "jazz tone" quite nicely.

- all amps loose their low end when elevated; adjusting the tone controls to recover this never sounds quite right.

- it helps to know the venue and have choices for what amp to bring.

- amp placement is so important that one really must bring a good outdoor rated heavy duty extension cord in order that placement is not limited to the nearest service outlet and the length of the stock cord.

- when the amp sounds right from out in front where your audience will be listening, that is how to leave the settings, no matter what it sounds like to you when playing on stage. This is one of the most difficult things to believe and have faith in, but it is critical that one learn to trust in the good out front sound of an amp that may sound different when standing on stage. It may take some experience learning to hear it this way and getting used to it... it's worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Some things I've learned over the years...

- a lot of venues have small areas to set up the band and the close proximity of an electric bass tends to acoustically drive a hollow body jazz box even at moderate levels, so it helps to take a moment considering how to get the most distance from the bass amp.

- in situations where a jazz box is played rather close to the guitar amp, I have found that 2x12 amps like Twin Reverbs move a little too much air even at moderate levels and tend to promote feedback, whereas in the same situation and level a single 10 inch speaker like in the Princeton Reverb seems to be immune of this problem.

- I really like the sound of a big tube amp like the Twin or the Super Reverb played well down in output level, with the tones set 1-10-1 (treble, middle, bass, respectively). This setting makes solid body electrics approach the "jazz tone" quite nicely.

- all amps loose their low end when elevated; adjusting the tone controls to recover this never sounds quite right.

- it helps to know the venue and have choices for what amp to bring.

- amp placement is so important that one really must bring a good outdoor rated heavy duty extension cord in order that placement is not limited to the nearest service outlet and the length of the stock cord.

- when the amp sounds right from out in front where your audience will be listening, that is how to leave the settings, no matter what it sounds like to you when playing on stage. This is one of the most difficult things to believe and have faith in, but it is critical that one learn to trust in the good out front sound of an amp that may sound different when standing on stage. It may take some experience learning to hear it this way and getting used to it... it's worth it.
    Local archtop players (more the locals than the top pros) usually sound muddy to me. I suspect that the guitar sounds okay where they are sitting, but it sounds bassy and muddy in the audience. My view may not be representative -- sometimes there will be another musician audience member who isn't bothered by it.

When I play my regular gig with my octet it's often a struggle. The guitar, which sounds fine in rehearsal, suddenly sounds muddy in the midrange. Probably extra volume from bass and piano are interfering (and I play a solidbody). I often end up playing two note voicings on the G and B strings. In rehearsal, D and G strings sound better. It may be that more notes are getting separated in pitch from the piano and bass that way.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that there are a lot of variables -- and those variables include the music that is being made at the moment.

User Info Menu

cheers

User Info Menu

How much u want for your Hendrikson amp

User Info Menu

I need something that is louder than my acoustic set up and lighter than my Fender. I'm thinking about a Roland Blues Cube Artist. Has anybody spent any time with these?

User Info Menu

+1 JazzAmp 110.

User Info Menu

Fender Princeton Reverb does it for me. Great balance between Fender tones and weight. With an efficient speaker you have plenty of headroom.

Tbh 12” speaker can be a little too bassy, but you can fit one into a Princeton with a little simple modification. Never felt the need.

Not the *most* portable though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I use small, portable amps for gigging. My practice amp (Koch Twintone III head on a 4x12 slantback Koch cab) stays in one place:
    That’s quite a big Koch.

For a jazz gig I mean. But they are great amps. Used a hire one, it was brill.

User Info Menu

I might just be buzzed from the novelty, but I think the Henriksen Blu is amazing at 12 pounds.

User Info Menu

I have been tempted to try the Bud or the Blu, however I recall trying an older 110, that did not seem to suit my tastes. Do the current designs sound any different than the early ones from Henriksen?

User Info Menu

Wonder what the story is on the DV Mark Gen15 tube amp. Can't find any on line reviews anywhere.

User Info Menu

When auditioning a Henriksen amp for the first time don't be put off by the fact that just setting all the eq knobs at 12 o'clock won't yield a sensational tone.

Like the Evans amp, the Henriksen rewards the user that explores the eq section. There is some dialing in to be done on both amps, but when you find your sound. ..BAM!

User Info Menu

Carr Rambler, based on the Fender Deluxe Reverb. Both are great jazz guitar amps as far as I'm concerned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    When auditioning a Henriksen amp for the first time don't be put off by the fact that just setting all the eq knobs at 12 o'clock won't yield a sensational tone.

Like the Evans amp, the Henriksen rewards the user that explores the eq section. There is some dialing in to be done on both amps, but when you find your sound. ..BAM!
    With my Tele, all the knobs at 12 actually sounded pretty good. I only had to do a little bit of tweaking.

User Info Menu

Boston Joe,

Good point. Most folks don't find that to be the setting though with an archtop. What did you find?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Boston Joe,

Good point. Most folks don't find that to be the setting though with an archtop. What did you find?
    I didn't try an archtop through it. I tried the Tele, and the Ibanez semi-hollow. The Ibby with the Tele settings sounded terrible. I had to knock the treble down a good bit and boost the low-mids.

User Info Menu

I really like Roland stuff. I have an 80x and a 30 that I use depending on the gig. I also have a Roland PA that I use for a cleaner sound, especially with floating pickups, though I've used it with set pickups as well. Last but not least, a Roland 3x micro cube for practice and very small gigs. I use the acoustic setting on the amps. That gives me a clean enough jazz tone. Good luck with the search.