The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Considering one of these. Both have pretty solid reviews. I would love to test drive one or both, but no one in the area has one in stock.

Anyone have any playing time on either one or both?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman AR403CE. It is great. Keep in mind that there were a lot of guys using budget guitars in the 50s and 60s (Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, etc). The Eastman is a legitamate jazz instrument. But then, so is a kazoo, if you play it right.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either. I am very happy with my Eastman.

User Info Menu

Do you mean the AR371CE vs. the Epi 175? There are some spec differences between the two. 1-11/16 nut Epi vs 1-3/4 nut Eastman and a $200.00+ price difference. Both made in china. Without playing one I'd probably go for the Eastman because I like mine. Looks like a toss up at that level but you'd have to play them to know. If you got an Eastman from GNJazz it would probably be set up well as opposed to an out of the box Epi.

I vote Eastman.

User Info Menu

I prefer the rosewood bridge, wider nut, nitro finish, and single pickup of the Eastman. The tuners are probably better quality on the Epi. But you should try to find both and then try to imagine what they'd be like set up to your preferences.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T
    I prefer the rosewood bridge, wider nut, nitro finish, and single pickup of the Eastman. The tuners are probably better quality on the Epi. But you should try to find both and then try to imagine what they'd be like set up to your preferences.
    +1 on all that. The Eastman I tried seemed to be a very good guitar for the money. On the other hand, they've gone up £100 since then, which puts that particular model kind of up there. It'd still be on my list if I were looking for a new laminate guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin_Hoel
    Do you mean the AR371CE vs. the Epi 175? There are some spec differences between the two. 1-11/16 nut Epi vs 1-3/4 nut Eastman and a $200.00+ price difference. Both made in china. Without playing one I'd probably go for the Eastman because I like mine. Looks like a toss up at that level but you'd have to play them to know. If you got an Eastman from GNJazz it would probably be set up well as opposed to an out of the box Epi.

I vote Eastman.
    I've owned both the '371 and the Epi 175 reissue too. Hands down Eastman. It wasn't 3 weeks after I had a pro setup on the Epi 175 it was buzz central with that darned TOM bridge. Drove me nutz so I sold the guitar at a loss just to move it for it was driving me nutz. Shame too, since acoustically man it had some serious volume, which is why I bought it...she was my George Harrison My Sweet Lord strum practice guitar, since at the time I didn't own an acoustic. Well, I fixed that and bought a rare arched back AJ817 Eastman Jumbo. If I had a fire this is the one I'd grab...irreplaceable, and made in very limited quantities before being discontinued:

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 09-21-2012 at 11:52 PM.

User Info Menu

I've played both, and I recommend the Eastman as well.

My experience is that the Eastman (I selected between three of the AR371CE models and they were all very nice) is a WAY better guitar in terms of fit and finish. I also prefer the wider Eastman neck.

User Info Menu

I have also owned both. There is no comparison, Eastman is a better guitar. I don't have the Epiphone 175 any longer, but for some reason I remember that it was made in Malaysia... I could be wrong

User Info Menu

I was very disappointed with the epiphone 175I tried in a store A couple years ago. Every Eastman I've played has been far better, as have some Ibanez artcores (but not all).

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman AR371 and an Epiphone ES175. I purchased the Epiphone used, a few years ago at a great price, including a hard case. If the Eastman had been available at that time I would have purchased it, and not picked up the Epi. There is a world of difference in the quality of the hardware and finish level between the two. Also a world of difference in the tone. That being said, I am not displeased with the Epi. The Epiphone build quality, finish, and hardware seems to be on par with other archtops in its price range. (I also have an Ibanez AF75, another used deal for little money several years ago, and I prefer the Epiphone to it. The Epi's tone is different; brighter and not as nuanced, but it is usable and I like it. I will probably sell the Ibanez and the Epiphone sometime in the future.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the great advice!! I had an Ibanez Artcore, but I never really fell in love with it. I will look more closely at the Eastmans. Is build quality comparable or superior to an Artcore?

User Info Menu

I have both. I like them both, but the Eastman is a much better guitar. The Epi has more variation in the sounds you can get, though.

User Info Menu

I have a 403 (mentioned above) and a AS93. I can't really make a useful comparison, but I like the feel of the Eastman better. One advantage of the Eastman that shouldn't be overlooked is the nitrocellulose finish.

User Info Menu

I have an Epiphone es 175.I absolutly love it.gives that great jazz tone.nothing beats it for price.very versitile when it comes to jazz tones.Ive never tried an eastman but Im sure theyr great guitars,but I recomend the epi to any jazz guitarist.as for the artcore question.I personally really dont like the artcoe guitars.they do look pretty cool but the sound gets on my nerves quite a bit and just dosnt produce the sound I like.Ibanez does make great guitars but I dont personally like theyre jazz guitars,maybe the benson models would be better or the matheny models.but anyway in comparison id choose the eastman over the artcore.but i still recomend the epi.just my 2 cents lol

User Info Menu

I sold my Epi 175 to buy and Eastman 805CE, a more expensive Eastman than the 175 clone but the Eastman is still miles ahead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonedeaf
    I sold my Epi 175 to buy and Eastman 805CE, a more expensive Eastman than the 175 clone but the Eastman is still miles ahead.
    oh i defanitly believe you mate.ive never had the pleasure of trying an eastman but i still love the epi lol.cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman22
    I have an Epiphone es 175.I absolutly love it.gives that great jazz tone.nothing beats it for price.very versitile when it comes to jazz tones.Ive never tried an eastman but Im sure theyr great guitars,but I recomend the epi to any jazz guitarist.as for the artcore question.I personally really dont like the artcoe guitars.they do look pretty cool but the sound gets on my nerves quite a bit and just dosnt produce the sound I like.Ibanez does make great guitars but I dont personally like theyre jazz guitars,maybe the benson models would be better or the matheny models.but anyway in comparison id choose the eastman over the artcore.but i still recomend the epi.just my 2 cents lol
    I agree completely. The Epiphone has THE tone. But the Eastman is a better made guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsh
    Thanks everyone for the great advice!! I had an Ibanez Artcore, but I never really fell in love with it. I will look more closely at the Eastmans. Is build quality comparable or superior to an Artcore?
    That's really too broad of a question in regards to the Artcores. I found the Epiphone 175 to be comparable to the Artcore 75-90 model numbers. The Artcores I've played at model number 90+ I greatly preferred over any Epiphone I've played or owned.

My opinion is skip over both and get an Eastman 371 now that these are out and affordably priced.

User Info Menu

Hey 2be,

not to hijack the thread but I played a 16" Eastman jumbo and liked it a lot but did think it was a little too bright. I have been wanting to play a 17"--do you use for chord/melody, in a band, for jazz or other styles? I would be curious to know how much different the two sizes sound.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the last few replies!! I ordered a 371 from Lou at Guitars'n'Jazz last Wednesday! I had him set it up with TI 12s so I'm really excited get my uncoordinated hands on it!!

Next up: a dedicated jazz amp! looking at Henriksens, Roland cube 60s(i have a 15 watt) or maybe a Jazz Cat. I really liked the treatment I received from Lou, so I will likely try to give him my business!

Hallpass: This is the rig I had Ibanez.com | Hollow Body Guitars | AG95

It was okay, but it had a buzz I just could not locate and get rid of, so I sold it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott
    I agree completely. The Epiphone has THE tone. But the Eastman is a better made guitar.
    yeah one thing i will say is its defanitly nothing special acousticaly.the beuty comes from the pickups.does anybody here have anything good to say about the north korean made daquisto guitars?theyr pretty expensive but are they good?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RClegg
    Hey 2be,

not to hijack the thread but I played a 16" Eastman jumbo and liked it a lot but did think it was a little too bright. I have been wanting to play a 17"--do you use for chord/melody, in a band, for jazz or other styles? I would be curious to know how much different the two sizes sound.
    I've only played the 17" version of the guitar. "Bright" is generally a term commonly applied to archtop Eastmans. The AJ817C is not bright. The tone is very resonant and evenly matched across all strings. It possesses unmatched clarity, resonance, and sustain. Each parson whose played this guitar wanted to buy it...it's my only guitar not for sale...it's irreplaceable. I'd go so far to refer to it as the perfect guitar. It's a true giant killer. I recently played a Guild JF65 jumbo to compare, and there was no comparison, the '817 smoked it in every facet.

Here's the dealer write-up:

Eastman Archback Jumbo guitars marry the crisper tone of the flattop
    with the warmth and projection of the finest archtops. These are solid
    wood hand-made flattop guitars with hand-carved arched backs exactly
    like those on top of the line archtops.

Eastman arched back jumbo specs:
    • Top: Solid Spruce individually voiced
    • Back / Sides: Solid Maple
    • Bracing: Hand Carved, Scalloped X
    • Venetian Cutaway
    • Rosette: Abalone
    • Headstock Veneer: Rosewood
    • NecK: Mahogany
    • Inlay: Pearl Dot
    • Construction: Dovetail Neckjoint
    • Fingerboard: Ebony
    • Nut Width: 1 3/4"
    • Scale Length: 25.5"
    • Frets: 20 Nickel - Silver

I've only seen 1 model '817 for sale on the used market over the past year. I bought this one new, and it's the only one in sunburst that I've seen. These were produced in very limited quantities before being discontinued. Finding one won't be easy, but if you happen to observe an '817 for sale I'd recommend don't walk, run, to buy it. It's clearly the best guitar I own. If I didn't desire flatwounds I'd not even need an archtop for acoustic playing, for no archtop can compare to the pure volume and richness of clarity of the '817. Chord melody playing is a breeze. I'm strictly a home player for my own enjoyment. Cheers!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-20-2012 at 02:13 PM.

User Info Menu

So, reading between the lines I guess you like it? Seriously, that is quite an endorsement, I will try to go back to the store (I won't disclose the name at the moment) and try it out.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RClegg
    So, reading between the lines I guess you like it? Seriously, that is quite an endorsement, I will try to go back to the store (I won't disclose the name at the moment) and try it out.
    Thanks!
    It's tough defining brightness for what's bright to one could easily be defined as supreme clarity by another. Having owned countless Eastmans, because they're so affordable to sample, I'd define my Eastman Jazz 16 as bright and possessing clairity, but being a thin bodied archtop I'd be surprised if it wasn't bright.

If it's a blonde 17" guitar that you later determine not to acquire I'd be interested in it...I've seen several 16" but not a single 17" for sale, new or used, anywhere. Given used Eastman's are everywhere that should tell you something about how popular and rare the '817 is. Good luck!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-21-2012 at 01:39 AM.

User Info Menu

The only Epi I have been in touch for awhile,was a Joe Pass Emperor II....
    the most horrible guitar I have ever met,in fact it's gone,into the trashbin literally,in a rage attack...and do not regret it at all
    I kept only for a month maybe,and everyday it was getting worse,someone said tha Epi 175 has the "tone"...??
    Wich one? ? cause the one from the JP was a joke.....let alone the hardware ,electrics etc..etc...
    Don't know about Eastman's quality,just because I have seen them only into a fair exibition stand,never tried one extensively,but since Epi quality standards are so low,surely Eastman cannot be worse.....
    Any Ibanez AF 105/125 it's worlds away than the Epi's 175.....
    IMHO of course.