Jazz Guitar

Forum Sponsors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help identifying Kurt's guitar

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,225

    Help identifying Kurt's guitar



    This derived from other thread. Anyone has a clue? I thought his archtops were all Moffas but I have been told is not a Moffa.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,647
    Someone commented on the video that it's a Peerless Cremona.
    Roger
    Gear don't mean a thing if ya can't make it sing.
    http://www.youtube.com/rpguitar

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,225
    Right, that was kind of stupid of me... thanks rp!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    4,151
    Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
    Someone commented on the video that it's a Peerless Cremona.
    not sure!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    419
    It doesn't look like a Peerless Cremona to me, it looks more like a copy of his D'angelico that he usually plays.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,225
    Really? You're getting me curious!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    440
    I remembered reading somewhere that McCurdy has also built a guitar for Kurt and I thought it was a Perfecta:

    McCurdy Guitars

    A friend plays a Schottmuller (looks and plays gorgeous) and I know Kurt has worked with him too designing the SemiAkustik...

    Schottmüller Guitars



    However neither of those looks like the one in the video (the McCurdy is close but the headstock looks different)....


    The plot thickens...

    Edit: check out the headstock of the McCurdy Kenmare model (tribute to D'Angelico). As Kurt's main axe is you guessed it, a D'Angelico, maybe it's a custom thing....also check the Testimonials page.

    Pure speculation but this is fun..and both McCurdy and Schottmuller look fantastic...
    Last edited by IbanezAS100; 07-06-2012 at 07:38 AM.
    Jazz_175 likes this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,225
    We're getting closer...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    440
    Last edited by IbanezAS100; 07-06-2012 at 08:35 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,225
    It seems really close!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    419


    His has two pickups and a pickup selector on the lower bout.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    440
    Ha ha, we 're playing Sherlock...
    Well spotted, I saw that too but that could simply be his own tweak on the basic Kenmare design.

    And since we're playing detective, check out the Testimonials page, where Kurt is pictured with a Mercury model, that has the pickup selector in the same location whereas the 'main' Mercury model listed on the website has it next to the pots...so that could simply be his preference...

    This is fun...where's my anorak ...(could come in handy as it's raining cats and dogs over here)...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,279
    I talked to him briefly after a Jazz Showcase gig he had here a couple years ago, asking if he endorsed Moffa and if there is a signature guitar in the pipeline.

    He feigned any knowledge of this. He was also pictured in ads with a Sadowsky Semi-Hollow. Never see him playing one in live situation, that's for sure.

    Don't think he really uses many different guitars in gigs exempt his D'Angelico or ES-335. And whatever guitar that may be. But I'm sure he gets paid a bit to say nice things about other guitars.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by NSJ View Post
    I talked to him briefly after a Jazz Showcase gig he had here a couple years ago, asking if he endorsed Moffa and if there is a signature guitar in the pipeline.

    He feigned any knowledge of this. He was also pictured in ads with a Sadowsky Semi-Hollow. Never see him playing one in live situation, that's for sure.

    Don't think he really uses many different guitars in gigs exempt his D'Angelico or ES-335. And whatever guitar that may be. But I'm sure he gets paid a bit to say nice things about other guitars.
    There was in fact a Kurt Rosenwinkel signature Moffa available for a period. Kurt's personal guitar was sold through eBay earlier this year:
    Moffa Kurt Rosenwinkel Signature Archtop Semi-Hollow Jazz Guitar | eBay

    He still has and plays his Moffa Maryan archtop. The 'Reflections' album was recorded on two Moffa guitars.


    Kurt also played the Sadowsky semi-hollow live for a period (I've seen him use it here in London) but he does seem to have moved back to the D'Angelico for live work.
    My pic:

    I sincerely doubt that Sadowsky and Moffa pay players to endorse their instruments - Moffa is a one-man operation.
    Last edited by David B; 07-06-2012 at 01:31 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    There was in fact a Kurt Rosenwinkel signature Moffa available for a period. Kurt's personal guitar was sold through eBay earlier this year:
    Moffa Kurt Rosenwinkel Signature Archtop Semi-Hollow Jazz Guitar | eBay

    He still has and plays his Moffa Maryan archtop. The 'Reflections' album was recorded on two Moffa guitars.

    Kurt also played the Sadowsky semi-hollow live for a period (I've seen him use it here in London) but he does seem to have moved back to the D'Angelico for live work.

    I sincerely doubt that Sadowsky and Moffa pay players to endorse their instruments - Moffa is a one-man operation.

    Yep, when I saw him in London (Charlie Wright's) a couple of years ago he played an amber Arch-Lorraine by Moffa like the one in your sig.

    BTW, do you own one David or have you got one on the way?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100 View Post
    Yep, when I saw him in London (Charlie Wright's) a couple of years ago he played an amber Arch-Lorraine by Moffa like the one in your sig.

    BTW, do you own one David or have you got one on the way?
    We've been to the same gigs then! There was a run of great gigs at Charlie Wright's for a year or two around that time.

    I have a Moffa Maryan on the way. Should be ready in a month or two.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100 View Post
    Yep, when I saw him in London (Charlie Wright's) a couple of years ago he played an amber Arch-Lorraine by Moffa like the one in your sig.

    BTW, do you own one David or have you got one on the way?
    Wasn't that the one he used at RoadHouse (just around the corner from Charlie Wright's) with the German Standards Trio?

    If so, I was there. And it sounded fab.

    Right, David B, I'm off to Ronnie's, may see you in passing later! (For the rest of you, it's Larry Coryell/Joey De Francesco/Jimmy Cobb at Ronnie Scott's club tonight!)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    We've been to the same gigs then! There was a run of great gigs at Charlie Wright's for a year or two around that time.

    I have a Moffa Maryan on the way. Should be ready in a month or two.

    Sounds like it! And how exciting to have a Maryan on the way, definitely report back when it arrives (you'll have to take a break when your fingers are sore from playing it anyway)!

    And as a side note to you and Mango, we hate you Londoners....

    But does anyone know what guitar this is? I still vote for McCurdy...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    553
    From the suggestions so far, I would say it's a McCurdy.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,225
    Quote Originally Posted by NSJ View Post
    I talked to him briefly after a Jazz Showcase gig he had here a couple years ago, asking if he endorsed Moffa and if there is a signature guitar in the pipeline.

    He feigned any knowledge of this. He was also pictured in ads with a Sadowsky Semi-Hollow. Never see him playing one in live situation, that's for sure.

    Don't think he really uses many different guitars in gigs exempt his D'Angelico or ES-335. And whatever guitar that may be. But I'm sure he gets paid a bit to say nice things about other guitars.
    He did used the Sadowsky for some time as well as a cheap Epiphone and a 339 (not sure about the 335). He also used two Moffas (archtop and 335 types) and a Telecaster from a German builder. All this is documented on youtube or interviews. I am sure he has a lot of other guitars at home! The one he does use the most his the D'Angelico Vestax, no doubt.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,225
    Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    There was in fact a Kurt Rosenwinkel signature Moffa available for a period. Kurt's personal guitar was sold through eBay earlier this year:
    Moffa Kurt Rosenwinkel Signature Archtop Semi-Hollow Jazz Guitar | eBay

    He still has and plays his Moffa Maryan archtop. The 'Reflections' album was recorded on two Moffa guitars.


    Kurt also played the Sadowsky semi-hollow live for a period (I've seen him use it here in London) but he does seem to have moved back to the D'Angelico for live work.
    My pic:

    I sincerely doubt that Sadowsky and Moffa pay players to endorse their instruments - Moffa is a one-man operation.
    I think he had several Moffas but now just has one or two. I also think at best he has a discount on the price...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4
    That is a custom Ric McCurdy semi-hollow arch top that Kurt comissioned from me in 2012.
    It's Gibson scale, maple neck back and sides, spruce top and a single Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pickup with two switchable outputs.
    It was a real pleasure making a guitar for him. Kurt is one of the most focused and talented guitarists I've ever met.
    kurt new.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,225
    Thanks Ric, they look great! I'll be in NY this summer, I will try to come by and try one.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrhd View Post
    That is a custom Ric McCurdy semi-hollow arch top that Kurt comissioned from me in 2012.
    It's Gibson scale, maple neck back and sides, spruce top and a single Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pickup with two switchable outputs.
    It was a real pleasure making a guitar for him. Kurt is one of the most focused and talented guitarists I've ever met.
    kurt new.jpg
    So, from the horse's mouth, then.

    A beautiful guitar - could you tell us what the switchable outputs feature does, please?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    440
    Ric, thanks for chiming in...wondeful guitars, glad to see them in such capable hands!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4
    The switch controls two seperate outputs from the single pickup.
    It can be used to bypass the pedalboard, or to route the signal thru a different amp or effects chain.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    1,029
    That guitar's got style, which is more than I can say for Kurt. A plaid shirt over a striped pullover . . .

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    4,151
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrhd View Post
    That is a custom Ric McCurdy semi-hollow arch top that Kurt comissioned from me in 2012.
    It's Gibson scale, maple neck back and sides, spruce top and a single Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pickup with two switchable outputs.
    It was a real pleasure making a guitar for him. Kurt is one of the most focused and talented guitarists I've ever met.
    kurt new.jpg
    Hi Ric,
    is it standard Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pickup/humbucker/?
    Thanks
    Kris

  29. #29
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    401
    I am a late comer in here, as far as the thread goes, I have to say it looks and sounds wonderful.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by Klatu View Post
    That guitar's got style, which is more than I can say for Kurt. A plaid shirt over a striped pullover . . .
    Heh, heh. I guess his fashion sense steps a little outside diatonic harmony from time to time too...

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch


Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

 

 

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1