The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 76

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    We've been to the same gigs then! There was a run of great gigs at Charlie Wright's for a year or two around that time.

I have a Moffa Maryan on the way. Should be ready in a month or two.

Sounds like it! And how exciting to have a Maryan on the way, definitely report back when it arrives (you'll have to take a break when your fingers are sore from playing it anyway)!

And as a side note to you and Mango, we hate you Londoners....

But does anyone know what guitar this is? I still vote for McCurdy...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From the suggestions so far, I would say it's a McCurdy.

User Info Menu

He did used the Sadowsky for some time as well as a cheap Epiphone and a 339 (not sure about the 335). He also used two Moffas (archtop and 335 types) and a Telecaster from a German builder. All this is documented on youtube or interviews. I am sure he has a lot of other guitars at home! The one he does use the most his the D'Angelico Vestax, no doubt.

User Info Menu

I think he had several Moffas but now just has one or two. I also think at best he has a discount on the price...

User Info Menu

He also will sing lightly along with his playing which may be the missing ingredient you've been searching for. It is a haunting ethereal sound. I'm in the audience for his Jazz Bakery show which will start shortly.

User Info Menu

That is a custom Ric McCurdy semi-hollow arch top that Kurt comissioned from me in 2012.
    It's Gibson scale, maple neck back and sides, spruce top and a single Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pickup with two switchable outputs.
    It was a real pleasure making a guitar for him. Kurt is one of the most focused and talented guitarists I've ever met.
    Kurt Rosenwinkel Guitar Setup-kurt-new-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Kurt Rosenwinkel Guitar Setup-kurt-new-jpg 

User Info Menu

So, from the horse's mouth, then.

A beautiful guitar - could you tell us what the switchable outputs feature does, please?

User Info Menu

Ric, thanks for chiming in...wondeful guitars, glad to see them in such capable hands!

User Info Menu

The switch controls two seperate outputs from the single pickup.
    It can be used to bypass the pedalboard, or to route the signal thru a different amp or effects chain.

User Info Menu

That guitar's got style, which is more than I can say for Kurt. A plaid shirt over a striped pullover . . .

User Info Menu

Is it standard Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pickup/humbucker/?

User Info Menu

Looks like a McCurdy to me but I could be wrong. Any ideas?

User Info Menu

Kurt stated on his forum earlier this year: "the guitar is called a "Westville" made by Masaki Nishimura in Tokyo. It is excellent, I love it.

User Info Menu

There was a blog about these from Walkin' guitars, a shop in Shibuya, Tokyo.
    They sell them and I fancy they had a hand in designing them too.
    Walkin' also has it's own brand "Archtop Tribute" which look nice.

Here is their site
    www.walkin.co.jp

No affiliation.

User Info Menu

I have a very recent Rosenwinkel masterclass where he states he's completely crazy about his new setup - this guitar and axe-fx / kemper modelers. He said he finally found a guitar that had the best qualities of the D'Angelico without the cons.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Kurt sound good on every guitar....but may be he is looking for something comfortable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I have a very recent Rosenwinkel masterclass where he states he's completely crazy about his new setup - this guitar and axe-fx / kemper modelers. He said he finally found a guitar that had the best qualities of the D'Angelico without the cons.
    Maybe. But I also suspect he's like Jimmy Bruno who switches guitars all the time. At that level, pros go where the best endorsements are. Lots of instruments can suffice why not play the one that pays you the most money to play it?

I mean there are exceptions to this -Bernstein absolutely LOVES his guitar and you probably couldn't pay him to switch.

User Info Menu

Is that a laminated or solid top?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Kurt sound good on every guitar....but may be he is looking for something comfortable.
    Nope, it wasn't confort, sonic reasons. Something about the guitar souding sweet yet present.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Maybe. But I also suspect he's like Jimmy Bruno who switches guitars all the time. At that level, pros go where the best endorsements are. Lots of instruments can suffice why not play the one that pays you the most money to play it?

I mean there are exceptions to this -Bernstein absolutely LOVES his guitar and you probably couldn't pay him to switch.
    Hmm I don't think so. He is sort of a gear head and has had quite some guitars over time but the D'Angelico has always been pretty stable. This guitar was offered to him and he said something like he finally found the one-

There are more exceptions - Kreisberg always used his 175, Metheny his 175 and then the Ibanez, Monder the AS-50, Scofiled the AS-200 (with some ocasional exceptions), Jim Hall the D'Aquisto / Sadowsky for a really long time too.

Jorge, what he said about the cons. of the D'Angelico?

User Info Menu

So does this guitar have a center block or neck through as above poster refers to? Seems like a Gibson HR Fusion,Sadowsky Thinline, or Benedetto Bambino design as well. Interesting tail piece, like an flatop design. Wonder what the scale length is also?

User Info Menu

Nope, it wasn't confort, sonic reasons. Something about the guitar souding sweet yet present.
    His Moffas sounds also great but I am not sure they are comfortable at gigs...feedback etc...
    Last edited by kris; 08-06-2014 at 02:59 PM.

User Info Menu

I am just quoting him, he mentioned sonic reasons and compared the new one to the Dangelico only. What you say might be right but we're just guessing.