The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 76

User Info Menu

Hi,

First thanks for your site, I'm new in jazz and that help me a lot to progress.

Here is the setup of Rosenwinkel (this information coming directly from Kurt):

• D'angelico nyss-3 guitar
    • Robert keeley modified tremelo pedal
    • Rat distortion (the original one)
    • Lehle DLoop signal router box
    • Delta Lab Effectron II
    • Line6 echo pro with expression pedal
    • Speck half rack parametric eq
    • Lexicon LXP-1
    • Polytone minibrute 3
    • Vovox cables
    • Jazz Tone picks 207
    • d'Addario .013 round wound strings

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. he has a great jazz tone and a great touch. Wonder where he got the idea to use the Rat, eh? (hint: Sco..)

User Info Menu

grant green

ES-330-->cable-->whatever amp rudy van gelder had laying around (probably a tweed deluxe)

boy, how times change, eh?

User Info Menu

I used to go see Ed Bickert play all the time right up to his retirement. His set up: Roland Cube amp and Fender Tele, that's it. In Bickert's case, the tone IS in his fingers.

User Info Menu

Cool! I've been thinking of checking out the Roland Cube for jazz guitar. I played bass through one when rehearsing with a keyboard player, and the amp sounded great, handled both my bass and his keyboard, no problem.

User Info Menu

Yes, they do good clean sound. the one Bickert used was an old model combo, without any of the effects built in. i use the newer ones in one of the studios I teach at, they're good for clean, very transparent but I never use the effects on it, although you have more tonal options to choose from.

User Info Menu

i'm willing to bet rosenwinkel has more than his fair share of tone in his fingers too, it's just his preference to use that stuff, that's all. i'm a guitar-->amp guy myself...and funny, it's almost always a tele-- so speaking of teles...

ed bickert is (well, was, he's retired, but still with us) one of my absolute favorites. i actually know some people who don't like his tone, but i find it warm and perfectly suited for the music he loved/played. one of the greats, who still doesn't get enough recognition if ya ask me...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

ed bickert is (well, was, he's retired, but still with us) one of my absolute favorites. i actually know some people who don't like his tone, but i find it warm and perfectly suited for the music he loved/played. one of the greats, who still doesn't get enough recognition if ya ask me...
    Bickert was the first jazz guitarist I seriously listen to, and to this day, he's still my favorite as far as straight ahead jazz playing goes. I also saw him play countless times, and the guy NEVER sounded bad tonewise or playing wise.
    No offense Jim Hall, but all you hear when guys go to Berklee is how great Jim Hall is. As far as I'm concern, Bickert is right up there in the same league. his sense of swing is impeccable, i never heard anybody swings like Bickert.

User Info Menu

I really dig Kurt Rosenwinkel's sound and in my search of a new tone to my Ibanez GB10, I wonder if i could get a tone near to his. His guitar has a very "singing"-like quality to it (especially on "Deep Song"), and I wonder if he might be using a bit overdrive when he plays solo?

User Info Menu

Proco vintage Rat.

User Info Menu

you sure about that? I hear something else going on other than the rat.

User Info Menu

I saw Kurt Rosenwinkel at the Iridium Jazz Club in NYC last year. He certainly had a Rat on his board & did use that a quite a bit while he did both his solo spot and with the band.

However I think Jack is right, there was another couple of distortion type effects he used. One looked a little home made(ish) and may have been some sort of compressor that he seemed to be using to drive his amp harder. There was also a multi effects (Lexicon I think) that he was using for reverb/delay but may have got some overdrive/distortion out of that.

Hard to tell really, his board was a tad messy!

User Info Menu

I went to a Rosenwinkel clinic at Community College just outside of Cleveland this past February. It was a very cool experience, and there were probably less than 20 people there. He basically did a live rehearsal with his quartet (playing with Taylor Eigsti, Eric Revis, and Ted Poor) and opened things up for discussion/ questions between takes. Somebody asked him about his gear. I can't recall everything he mentioned but something like this:

Rat, a flanger which he scales way back, delay, and some sort of comp. He talked for a minute about what he does with the flanger (did a "with flanger/ without flanger" demonstration) and it was interesting how the flanger added this singing, resonating quality to his sound.

It's worth mentioning that Deep Song was like 2005 or 2006 and he was still playing through a polytone. At the clinic he said he's been using Twins and complained about the poor quality of newer polytones. They did play "Brooklyn Sometimes," one of the best off Deep Song (although with different personnel).

User Info Menu

The game of the thirteen KR stompboxes :

• Voodoo Lab Pedal Power - power supply
    • Eventide TimeFactor - delay
    • ProcoRat - distortion
    • Empress ParaEq - parametric equalizer
    • TC Electronics Stereo Chrorus
    • Peterson VSS2 StroboStomp Tuner
    • Hardwire RV-7
    • Lexicon reverb
    • Boss RC-30 - looper
    • Line6 ex1 - expression pedal
    • Little Lehle II
    • 3 Lehle Parallel

User Info Menu

This derived from other thread. Anyone has a clue? I thought his archtops were all Moffas but I have been told is not a Moffa.

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Someone commented on the video that it's a Peerless Cremona.

User Info Menu

It doesn't look like a Peerless Cremona to me, it looks more like a copy of his D'angelico that he usually plays.

User Info Menu

I remembered reading somewhere that McCurdy has also built a guitar for Kurt and I thought it was a Perfecta:

McCurdy Guitars

A friend plays a Schottmuller (looks and plays gorgeous) and I know Kurt has worked with him too designing the SemiAkustik...

Schottmüller Guitars

Edit: check out the headstock of the McCurdy Kenmare model (tribute to D'Angelico). As Kurt's main axe is you guessed it, a D'Angelico, maybe it's a custom thing....also check the Testimonials page.

Pure speculation but this is fun..and both McCurdy and Schottmuller look fantastic...
    Last edited by IbanezAS100; 07-06-2012 at 07:38 AM.

User Info Menu

His has two pickups and a pickup selector on the lower bout.

User Info Menu

Ha ha, we 're playing Sherlock...
    Well spotted, I saw that too but that could simply be his own tweak on the basic Kenmare design.

And since we're playing detective, check out the Testimonials page, where Kurt is pictured with a Mercury model, that has the pickup selector in the same location whereas the 'main' Mercury model listed on the website has it next to the pots...so that could simply be his preference...

This is fun...where's my anorak ...(could come in handy as it's raining cats and dogs over here)...

User Info Menu

I talked to him briefly after a Jazz Showcase gig he had here a couple years ago, asking if he endorsed Moffa and if there is a signature guitar in the pipeline.

He feigned any knowledge of this. He was also pictured in ads with a Sadowsky Semi-Hollow. Never see him playing one in live situation, that's for sure.

Don't think he really uses many different guitars in gigs exempt his D'Angelico or ES-335. And whatever guitar that may be. But I'm sure he gets paid a bit to say nice things about other guitars.

User Info Menu

There was in fact a Kurt Rosenwinkel signature Moffa available for a period. Kurt's personal guitar was sold through eBay earlier this year.

He still has and plays his Moffa Maryan archtop. The 'Reflections' album was recorded on two Moffa guitars.

Kurt also played the Sadowsky semi-hollow live for a period (I've seen him use it here in London) but he does seem to have moved back to the D'Angelico for live work.

I sincerely doubt that Sadowsky and Moffa pay players to endorse their instruments - Moffa is a one-man operation.
    Last edited by David B; 07-06-2012 at 01:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Yep, when I saw him in London (Charlie Wright's) a couple of years ago he played an amber Arch-Lorraine by Moffa like the one in your sig.

BTW, do you own one David or have you got one on the way?

User Info Menu

We've been to the same gigs then! There was a run of great gigs at Charlie Wright's for a year or two around that time.

I have a Moffa Maryan on the way. Should be ready in a month or two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100
    Yep, when I saw him in London (Charlie Wright's) a couple of years ago he played an amber Arch-Lorraine by Moffa like the one in your sig.

BTW, do you own one David or have you got one on the way?
    Wasn't that the one he used at RoadHouse (just around the corner from Charlie Wright's) with the German Standards Trio?

If so, I was there. And it sounded fab.

Right, David B, I'm off to Ronnie's, may see you in passing later! (For the rest of you, it's Larry Coryell/Joey De Francesco/Jimmy Cobb at Ronnie Scott's club tonight!)