The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hey everyone. I'm a beginning player and I picked up a used Epiphone ES-175 the other week. First, let me say that I really like it. The frets are huge and it plays very fast. I think its going to be my go-to guitar for lessons and practice though being the tinkering type I've been considering changing the neck pick up out for a potted Seymour Duncan replacement, as I hear good things about them. Does anyone have experience with their Jazz pickup versus their 59? It seems I'm finding more praise for the Jazz but would love to hear from others. Of course, I'm only looking for clean tones. Thanks so much.
    -Dave

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Over the years I have had both installed in guitars by my old tech in California - may I also give you a hearty endorsement for the SD Seth Lover, it's a great pickup - terrific for jazz especially.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Over the years I have had both installed in guitars by my old tech in California - may I also give you a hearty endorsement for the SD Seth Lover, it's a great pickup - terrific for jazz especially.
    That or the pricey Gibson Classic '57.

IMHO, the SD "Jazz" is about as jazz as a Fender Jazzmaster. Too hot from what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    IMHO, the SD "Jazz" is about as jazz as a Fender Jazzmaster. Too hot from what I've heard.
    Hmm, good to know. I'm considering building a copy of Ted Greene's Gigging guitar which has 2 humbuckers and a Tele single coil bridge pickup. I was also wondering if the 59 or jazz would be a good choice.

I have the now classic combination of a '59 at the neck and JB at the bridge on my 335. Back when I did it in the early 80's it was the "secret" L.A. studio guy trick. Now everyone knows about it. I love the sound of the '59 in the neck position but I wouldn't mind even a bit more warmth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Brouelette
    Hmm, good to know. I'm considering building a copy of Ted Greene's Gigging guitar which has 2 humbuckers and a Tele single coil bridge pickup. I was also wondering if the 59 or jazz would be a good choice.

I have the now classic combination of a '59 at the neck and JB at the bridge on my 335. Back when I did it in the early 80's it was the "secret" L.A. studio guy trick. Now everyone knows about it. I love the sound of the '59 in the neck position but I wouldn't mind even a bit more warmth.
    I had that setup on a 335 and an ES175 myself. I had SD Seth Lovers in an Eastman T146smd and LOVED them, great for rock, amazing for jazz. There are so many PAF pickup clones out there. The Ibanez Super 58 is a great one too... Good luck

User Info Menu

I find that 59's are fantastic in semis/chambered and solids, but boomy for me in hollowbodies.
    Seth's and Ibanez Super 58's are great in anything.

User Info Menu

Personal taste. You might as well ask what the best kind of woman (or man) is. Really, try them out and see. Yeah, there's someone out there that'll say that's no answer. It depends on your instrument, your settings, your strings, fingers or pick, what pick thickness, amp settings, kind of music you play, how much you balance your bridge and neck pickups, pickup height and in the end, what do you hear when you play. Mahogany body maple capped solid body with ebony fingerboard, .010 strings with a medium pick playing Scofield kind of lines, I might like a 59. Hmmm, what about my maple backed JP20 with the .012 flatwounds played fingerstyle? Oh yeah the Jazz is perfect with that of course, it brings out the transients and the acoustic quality I like so much. But wait, my twin brother really likes Wes a lot more than Jim Hall, he says I'm crazy because he loves an old PAF but would settle for an Antiquities. My mother says I'm crazy, but she's losing her high end frequencies anyway. She wants something that puts a little more bite in the attack.
    By the way, the jazz has a lower output than the 59 but it does have more mid to high end in the frequency signature. I installed pickups for two guitarists that play duo. Both really great guitarists I respect. They both sound great. They both know enough about their playing style to try to match their electronics to their tastes. One got an Antiquities, the other I installed a Jazz into her guitar. They're both happy. If we wanted to find out the better pickup, maybe I should give them both guns and have them duel it out at dawn.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Personal taste. You might as well ask what the best kind of woman (or man) is.
    Funny, David!

For me, it's brunettes (although I saw a cute red-head the other day!) and any pickup by Tom Short in CA. Call him up and tell him what sound you're looking for, and he'll wind you up an excellent pickup. I've used his humbuckers ("Tombuckers") and P-90s, and I love 'em.

Marc

User Info Menu

Hardbop, I've gone through this myself over the past few years in various guitars. I ended up settling for the Seth Lover at the neck position for several guitars, which were all true archtops (i.e. not semi-hollows). In researching pickups, I concluded that it was mainly because of the slightly weaker Alnico II magnet, which "softens" and "warms" the highs as opposed to an Alnico V magnet. And because I concentrate more on the mids and upper range notes when playing jazz, I never paid much attention to the lower register tonality. That is until I got a Godin LG Signature last year, which has--of all things--a Duncan Jazz at the neck. Although I had tried a Jazz in an archtop neck several years ago and immediately removed it due to what I thought was too much brightness and clarity (and lack of warmth), I now love the Jazz in this Godin (and actually use it for jazz playing). The main reason is that in this guitar, I can get that warmth in the highs, while I can really hear definition and character in the basses--especially when playing fingerstyle. But again, this is a mahogany body with a maple cap--this construction probably being part of why it works for me in this guitar vs. an archtop. I do wonder how a '59 would work in an archtop, seeing as how it has an Alnico V magnet (I believe), and is warmer than the jazz. In theory, it would seem to work well in an archtop for warmth and clarity.
    But don't forget that it takes a bit of tinkering with the pickup's height and pole-piece adjustments to really find that "sweet spot" in any pickup--and these adjustments are always different per pickup.

User Info Menu

I have a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck position of my Parker PM20PRO, I did not like it till lowered it down to about 4/32 on both the treble side and the bass side.
    For a humbucker it's very clear no mud when split coil it works very well into a straty tone.
    You can always put a lower tone pot 300k or 250k and warm it up,mine is still stock 500k
    I,m into a warm bright tone so I ride my tone control alot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluemood
    I have a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck position of my Parker PM20PRO, I did not like it till lowered it down to about 4/32 on both the treble side and the bass side.
    For a humbucker it's very clear no mud when split coil it works very well into a straty tone.
    You can always put a lower tone pot 300k or 250k and warm it up,mine is still stock 500k
    I,m into a warm bright tone so I ride my tone control alot.
    Interesting - I just checked mine, I'm 4/32 on the treble and 6/32 on the bass side. I know I had messed with that height a bit to get it were I liked it, never measured it before. It's a Godin Lgx- sa

User Info Menu

If you're interested in the truth behind pickups, check this out: BuildYourGuitar.com :: The Secrets of Electric Guitar Pickups

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the great responses, folks. Thanks for the link Vihar. I have "The Guitar Pickups Handbook" to which I assume he refers in the article and it is of nominal help so I'm looking forward to reading this whole article.
    It appears as though the consensus leans toward the Lover pickup which is unpotted. Why is it that I feel like I'm getting more for my money with a potted pickup : ) I hope to arrive at a decision and have the pickup installed within a week or so as well as having the round 11's changed to flat 12's. I think I might keep the TOM bridge for a while. I'll keep you posted on my pickup choice. Thanks again, everyone, and I would gladly be open to more comments/recommendations.
    Sincerely,
    Dave

User Info Menu

I have the SD Jazz in the neck, and a '59 in the bridge of an LP Florentine and really like it. I'm using flatwounds and have the pickups set fairly low. They're very mellow and I think they pair together really well. I tend to use the neck most, but the middle position is very sweet. They blend extremely well.

I had them in a 335 for awhile also, and liked them much better than the Gibson PAF reissues. The Gibsons sounded brittle and harsh to me in that axe, the SD's were much warmer to me. (I replaced them in the 335 with Harmonic Design Classic Humbuckers, I highly recommend those also.)

User Info Menu

Current Classic 57 are a waste of money IMO, SD is for sure a better option. Also check Lolar, Fralin, Bare Knuckles, etc...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    +1
    I put a set in my Epi ES175 and was very happy with the result.