Straight no chaser is a good example
    Very chromatic , lots of semitones
    Should work four fingered right ?

If I play it with four fingers it comes out
    Too 'stiff' , I actually prefer the way
    It sounds three fingers with some slurs etc

I'd be very interested in others' views on
    Playing SNChaser

Just played through it, both ways. I agree with your assessment totally. Ain't that something how that works?

I use my pinky when playing, but not as much...I think my pinky non-use comes from being a lazy rock player for years, which turned me into a lazy jazz player. So I wonder if my three fingered playing of the head being more "musical" come from my own comfort level...or is it chicken and egg?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mr. B, could you please shed some lighton actual fingerings used, key, starting position, where you moved ...?

Sent from VladanMovies @ YouTube

User Info Menu

Definitely, let me play through again on lunch today so I'm not trying to remember what I did, as that'll probably be wrong

User Info Menu

OK, I done it, looking forward other people's contributions

Please let me know which you preferred, if either, 3 examples with 2 versions each. I'll get a few answers and then announce my findings woot woot.

Listening back, TBH I have no preference.
    Dropbox - Three finger vs four finger.m4a

User Info Menu

Ok, so here's my fingering for "3 finger Chaser." What I'm realizing, is my ears like the fact I have to slur a few times, it sounds bluesy, maybe a little more "drunk," or something. Generally, if I played this with 4 fingers I'm just replacing all third finger slides with the pinky, and then the end long chromatic run gets a little more convoluted, more on that later, if I can figure out how I'd actually attack that 4 fingered...

I could have done a video, but this might be easier to tell what's going on. If it's not clear, I can do a vid later...played between 5th-8th frets or so (with one B nat. 4th fret third string), strings color coded: 5th green, 4th red, 3rd blue.

Separated by "phrase" (we can all sing this one in our heads, right?) So to explain my symbols here, 3-3 is a slide, 1H2 is a hammer on...

3 3 1 2 3

3 3 1 2 3-3 1

3 3 1 2 3

3 3 1 2 3

3 3 1H2

3 3 1 2 3-3 1

3 3 1 2 3

3 3 1 2 3

3 3 1 2 3-3

2H3 1 2 3 31 2 3 3-3

3 3 1 2 3

EDIT: Missed a phrase!
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 12-05-2016 at 02:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Christian, forgive me if you said it in your recording, but what position did you play Blue Monk in?

I agree, no real difference in sound to my ears...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ok, so here's my fingering for "3 finger Chaser." What I'm realizing, is my ears like the fact I have to slur a few times, it sounds bluesy, maybe a little more "drunk," or something. Generally, if I played this with 4 fingers I'm just replacing all third finger slides with the pinky, and then the end long chromatic run gets a little more convoluted, more on that later, if I can figure out how I'd actually attack that 4 fingered...

I could have done a video, but this might be easier to tell what's going on. If it's not clear, I can do a vid later...played between 5th-8th frets or so (with one B nat. 4th fret third string), strings color coded: 5th green, 4th red, 3rd blue.

Separated by "phrase" (we can all sing this one in our heads, right?) So to explain my symbols here, 3-3 is a slide, 1H2 is a hammer on...

3 3 1 2 3

3 3 1 2 3-3 1

3 3 1 2 3

3 3 1 2 3

3 3 1H2

3 3 1 2 3-3 1

3 3 1 2 3

3 3 1 2 3-3

2H3 1 2 3 31 2 3 3-3

3 3 1 2 3
    me too mr b ,
    now just gotta learn to count it right !

User Info Menu

Christian, forgive me if you said it in your recording, but what position did you play Blue Monk in?

I agree, no real difference in sound to my ears...
    V

That's kind of a relief

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    Essentially, your fingering IS your phrasing. Study the fingerings of the players who's phrasing you admire. Their choices are not random.
    I'd never heard it put that way, "your fingering IS your phrasing." Something to think about...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    V

That's kind of a relief
    I'd be interested to hear you do "Chaser," too...

Based on what came "natural" to me (that is, going in initially and trying not to think too much about fingering outside of using 3 or 4 fingers) I noticed that three fingers I needed to slur, 4 finger I could have, but didn't. So that did effect the way one sounded versus the other.

User Info Menu

I'd never heard it put that way, "your fingering IS your phrasing." Something to think about...
    Interesting... Because I heard it very ofteb...

But there's important point about it ... the order of words in this sentece

Your fingering is your phrasing

or

Your phrasing is you fingering

In the first case you learn some fingering patterns and they are reflected in your phrasing
    In the second - you choose fingering to achieve phrasing you want...

The distance between student and master
    Last edited by Jonah; 12-05-2016 at 03:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd be interested to hear you do "Chaser," too...

Based on what came "natural" to me (that is, going in initially and trying not to think too much about fingering outside of using 3 or 4 fingers) I noticed that three fingers I needed to slur, 4 finger I could have, but didn't. So that did effect the way one sounded versus the other.
    I practice slurring upbeat into down beat - starting doing that consciously about 3 or 4 months back, and I think it's a really good thing to do.

So, obviously has a bearing on fingering. If I am playing position 4 fingers, lots hammer ons and pulls offs. But actually when playing I really like the feeling of slides, and 3 fingers certainly encourages this.

So, I'd think 1 2-2 3 as we start on the beat (1 2 HO 3 4 normally)

But I don't think that's what I actually did, funnily enough, maybe 1/1 HO 2 3. Oh well, it felt good.
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-05-2016 at 04:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Interesting... Because I heard it very ofteb...

But there's important point about it ... the order of words in this sentece

or

In the first case you learn some fingering patterns and they are reflected in your phrasing

That's heavy. I like it.

User Info Menu

But I don't think that's what I actually did, funnily enough. Oh well, it felt good.
    Sometimes, that's enough, ain't it?

User Info Menu

OK, I done it, looking forward other people's contributions

Please let me know which you preferred, if either, 3 examples with 2 versions each. I'll get a few answers and then announce my findings woot woot.

Listening back, TBH I have no preference.
    Dropbox - Three finger vs four finger.m4a
    My guess is the 2nd version is 3 fingers...

But to be honest I would not think about difference if I was not asked...

I just heard that 2nd versions sound a bit more restrained... maybe

User Info Menu

Sometimes, that's enough, ain't it?
    Practice strict so that when you play music you can do it intuitively... That's my aim anyway :-)

User Info Menu

My guess is the 2nd version is 3 fingers...

But to be honest I would not think about difference if I was not asked...

I just heard that 2nd versions sound a bit more restrained... maybe
    I'll post up which was which tomorrow... ;-)

User Info Menu

But there's important point about it ... the order of words in this sentence

or

I'm not so sure of that. Think of the old Cramps song, "The way I walk is just the way I walk." It's not like I decided to walk the way I do but it would be hard to try and walk in some other way. I don't think much about my fingering while I'm playing. (Really, it only comes to mind when there is a problem.) If your fingers are pointing toward the bridge when you play, you won't play the same way you would if your fingers remained in neat rows one-finger-per-fret fashion pointing toward the fingerboard. Some people use both approaches, depending on the needs of the moment. It's like being able to speak two languages.

User Info Menu

Yeah for
    The Cramps!!!!

Christian, there is some difference. In example No.3, the first one sounds more even and accents are kind of straight. The second one is more uneven in level, some may interpret it as having more dynamics, and accents come as sort of inverted. On first listen the second came as more emotional so I thought it must be 3 finger version, everybody say 3 fingers sound better, However, after the second run I started to hear and get the accents from the first one, like there was some consciousness in application ... Now I think I may actually prefer the first take, so it must be the ...

Mr. B, my usual disclaimer, I've never heard the tune, not that I remember, let alone played it. For the purpose of try out I almost learned and almost can play the first 5 bars (with almost 4 bars that for the sake of discussion I almost learned and almost can play of that tune in Practical Standards thread, it's almost a A section worth of music), so my impressions

1. I'd use different string set 4-2, full 4 fingers approach, forward motion, Rock and Roll.
    2. If I was to use same string set as you, what you played 33123, I'd play 331-12 and so on.
    Pinky I'd use only to avoid ring finger roll, which is nothing to avoid.
    I'd start with pinky only if I'd go for full straight alternate picking.

Last edited by Vladan; 12-05-2016 at 06:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Yeah for
    The Cramps!!!!
    I was a big fan for quite a while. Saw them once in Miami and it was a good show---Lux and Ivy were in fine form---but their last few records didn't do anything for me. They'd lost their three-guitar/no bass vibe and the drums were too loud and not doing that sorta '50s beat that sounded so good on "Bad Music For Bad People" and "Psychedelic Jungle."

User Info Menu

I'm not so sure of that. Think of the old Cramps song, "The way I walk is just the way I walk." It's not like I decided to walk the way I do but it would be hard to try and walk in some other way. I don't think much about my fingering while I'm playing. (Really, it only comes to mind when there is a problem.) If your fingers are pointing toward the bridge when you play, you won't play the same way you would if your fingers remained in neat rows one-finger-per-fret fashion pointing toward the fingerboard. Some people use both approaches, depending on the needs of the moment. It's like being able to speak two languages.
    I agree with you...

as general conception of cretive process I like Spanish saying (I think originally it comes from the inscription of a cloister in Spain, but it was used many times - at least the teo I know is Atonio Machado'd poem and Luggi Nono's piece)

No hay caminos, hay que caminar...
    hard to translate properly. Maybe something like: There's no walkway, there's a a need to walk.
    It's like you see no road before you make every step of your own then again and again step by step... not the trivial concept of untrodden way etc... but this illusive feeling that the road is there you just have to secure it, to make it real by choosing to make your own step.
    We make things worthy meaningful and real.

This is truely existential problem... the poblem of choice basically. How do we make it? We are given the will to make free choice and still we feel that something else moves our will? Or is it also us? Where are the limits of our personality? Are there any? Is there something of me that I am not ware of? And now? And now? Am I true to myself enough? And now? And the moment after that? To be truely living should we be there alone?

Sorry for getting too much into abstract philosophy... but I find these things not less practical than fingering.

As per my 'formula' about fingering... well you are right... this is not strictly practical... but more about approach...
    Not that you conciously think about it every time and choose it (it is of course much more complex process) but that you keep in mind that you in general see it that way...
    I mean you let your fingers guide you.. you that you choose to let them do it.
    Last edited by Jonah; 12-06-2016 at 03:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I am the kind of weirdo who is quite literally learning to walk in a different way (more from the core muscles.)
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-06-2016 at 05:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah for
    The Cramps!!!!

Christian, there is some difference. In example No.3, the first one sounds more even and accents are kind of straight. The second one is more uneven in level, some may interpret it as having more dynamics, and accents come as sort of inverted. On first listen the second came as more emotional so I thought it must be 3 finger version, everybody say 3 fingers sound better, However, after the second run I started to hear and get the accents from the first one, like there was some consciousness in application ... Now I think I may actually prefer the first take, so it must be the ...

Mr. B, my usual disclaimer, I've never heard the tune, not that I remember, let alone played it. For the purpose of try out I almost learned and almost can play the first 5 bars (with almost 4 bars that for the sake of discussion I almost learned and almost can play of that tune in Practical Standards thread, it's almost a A section worth of music), so my impressions

1. I'd use different string set 4-2, full 4 fingers approach, forward motion, Rock and Roll.
    2. If I was to use same string set as you, what you played 33123, I'd play 331-12 and so on.
    Pinky I'd use only to avoid ring finger roll, which is nothing to avoid.
    I'd start with pinky only if I'd go for full straight alternate picking.

How interesting :-) (Strokes beard.)

User Info Menu

How interesting :-) (Strokes beard.)
    I scratch my head as now I find the second one less dynamic. If I'd continue listening I might start preferring it, again?!

User Info Menu

I scratch my head as now I find the second one less dynamic. If I'd continue listening I might start preferring it, again?!
    I think I have a preference, but it's hard to say.