The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Start on the the 3rd of the minor chord play quarter notes down scale you land on the 7th of the 5 chord on beat one and then the 3rd of the 1 chord on beat one.

why did someone not tell me this before sounds so fluid and floats across connecting the chords.

add some rhythmic variations some colour notes and voila, sounds cool.

take that to the blues for the turnaround to break up the major and minor pentatonic stuff things are happening

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think you land on the 3rd of each chord don’t you? If it’s one chord per bar and you play quarter notes only.

So Dm G7 C you’ll start on F, then land on B, then land on E.

User Info Menu

Yeah apologies

User Info Menu

Yeah I had a similar light bulb
    When Dave Cliff showed me
    Up the ii ARP then down the scale , as per your example

I opened the door for me ....
    Great innit !

User Info Menu

Cliffy killing it as always.

For extra points start on a lower neighbour tone, a triplet arepggio and start on 1+

It's basically my only lick

IV is good too.

User Info Menu

Oh dang. These kinds of posts are so hard to follow. Not tldr but too geeky to get into it. Cant you people just post a pic of a score or some sample mp3?

edit: not being a native english-speaker makes it worse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Yeah apologies
    no worries, you’re in good company, I read an interview with Pat Metheny where he said he plays lines from the third of each chord a lot.

It’s cool when you start hearing lines like this and how they connect chords together, just keep doing that!

User Info Menu

In 8th notes Dm7 G7 | Cma ||
    Where you starts, continues.

F E D C : B A G F : E 3rd

C B A G : F E D C : B 7th

A G F E : D C B A : G 5th

D C B A : G F E D : C Root

E D C B : A G F E : D 9th

G F E D : C B A G : F# 11th

B A G F : E D C B : A 13th

Also many variations adding tensions to the dominant side.
    The minor side can also be altered/adjusted, treating it as part of G7 or as D7.
    m7b5 or mMa7 are also possible alternative colors on the II side.

Cool, simple trick but used too much will sound like playing scales because it is a scale.

User Info Menu

Good work bako.

I drilled it for some time then started to mess with it rhythmically and note wise but keeping the resolution notes was really digging what I was hearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Oh dang. These kinds of posts are so hard to follow. Not tldr but too geeky to get into it. Cant you people just post a pic of a score or some sample mp3?

edit: not being a native english-speaker makes it worse.
    Playing a ii v I in C

Chords D-, G7, C one bar for each chord

Playing the c major scale in quarter notes, four notes a bar

Start on the b string at the f at fret six

Bar 1 over the D minor - f at sixth fret, e at fifth fret d at 3rd fret, move to g string for the C

Bar 2 play the B note on beat one being the 3rd of the G7 chord and also cool cause is a semitone from the previous C note which was the 7th of D-, then A at the second fret, G at the fifth fret on the D string, then F (again leaving that chord on its 7th)

Bar 3 and moving a semi tone to E on beat one being the third of C.

A beautiful thing playing through the changes a three bar phrase that is now ripe for doing whatever you want with it in terms of rhythm or note selection. Keeping it simple initially within this framework of the 7th on beat 4 and the 3rd on beat 1.

Leave some in between notes out insert some eighth notes and dotted quarter notes.

Add in some outside notes on the G7 etc.

Play a blues and use it over the ii v i

Hope the above is correct and useful Eman, gotta fly.

Have fun

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I think you land on the 3rd of each chord don’t you? If it’s one chord per bar and you play quarter notes only.

So Dm G7 C you’ll start on F, then land on B, then land on E.
    This is classic Bert Ligon "outline" stuff. And, yeah, the resolution to the 3rd of each chord is the most fundamental sound of "making the changes."

This is what Herbie thought Miles was telling him to avoid, when Herbie mistook Mile's "Don't play the bottom notes" comment as "Don't play the 'butter' notes."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    This is classic Bert Ligon "outline" stuff. And, yeah, the resolution to the 3rd of each chord is the most fundamental sound of "making the changes."

This is what Herbie thought Miles was telling him to avoid, when Herbie mistook Mile's "Don't play the bottom notes" comment as "Don't play the 'butter' notes."
    I always thought he said "butter"- what would he mean by "bottom" notes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    I always thought he said "butter"- what would he mean by "bottom" notes?
    I think he meant don’t play so many low or bass notes on the piano.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I think he meant don’t play so many low or bass notes on the piano.
    ok, so not "don't play 1, 3 or 5" (i.e. - "play the extensions, motherfucker!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    ok, so not "don't play 1, 3 or 5" (i.e. - "play the extensions, motherfucker!"
    yes but of course that's exactly what Herbie mistakenly THOUGHT he meant, so proceeded to avoid the chord tones etc. and came up with some completely fresh lines. I think Herbie likes 'happy accidents' like that, he talks about that kind of thing in a video somewhere.

Start on the the 3rd of the minor chord play quarter notes down scale you land on the 7th of the 5 chord on beat one and then the 3rd of the 1 chord on beat one.

why did someone not tell me this before sounds so fluid and floats across connecting the chords.

add some rhythmic variations some colour notes and voila, sounds cool.

take that to the blues for the turnaround to break up the major and minor pentatonic stuff things are happening

Wow this is a major light bulb moment for me-- thanks for sharing! I had the chance to play around with this on the guitar last night, adding some rhythmic and note variations while still keeping those thirds in place, and already my ii-V-I lines sound so much more intuitive and melodic.

I'm new to jazz guitar, but it's moments like this that I fully appreciate this forum and fellow members.

Taylor

User Info Menu

Great to hear Taylor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Playing a ii v I in C

Chords D-, G7, C one bar for each chord

Start on the b string at the f at fret six

Have fun
    ...now try that on B string fret 9 (same visual pattern)...and finish x7778x