The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

I am getting started with some more complex chord progressions and love the sound of altered, diminished and augmented chords. As I am just getting started I can only really tackle tracks at a slow tempo and want to get good at this speed before progressing. There are of course some very good backing tracks on Youtube which I enjoy using but I was interested to know if there are any good slow to mid tempo jazz or fusion standards members could recommend for me to play over and learn which may prove inspiring?

Thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Naima, Iris, Blue In Green, tunes like that.

User Info Menu

You can always work on simple tunes and in your improv imply complex changes. Or do a re-harm of the tune to get the chords you want to work on.

User Info Menu

Lush Life, Autumn in New York, Body and Soul.

User Info Menu

docbop - good point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    Lush Life, Autumn in New York, Body and Soul.
    Lush Life and Autumn in New York were going to my choices. I would add Easy Living (it uses Dom7b5 chords) and Star Dust to those.

While I enjoy playing Body and Soul to me it is a fairly 'routine' standard, but I do like how the 'B' section 'moves up' similar to When Sunny Gets Blue.

User Info Menu

If you are going to get all starry lets add Star Eyes and Turn Out the Stars as well...

User Info Menu

Anything by Wayne Shorter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Anything by Wayne Shorter.
    Herbie's "Little One"

User Info Menu

just play over this lp a bunch.. kenny burrell- midnight blue

it's got it all...deceptively simple sounding, yet intricate..can lead you many places

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-23-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

One man's complex is another's walk in the park. Tunes like Stella are such staples they're not considered "complex" yet they're a compendium of devices that are considered working vocabulary. Something like Goodbye Porkpie Hat may be elusive to one person, the most natural to another.

Listen to a lot of music. What kinds of things are you charmed by. Many modern players employ harmonic families that once their parent scales are mastered (harmonic major, augmented scales derived from melodic minor, etc) become simpler and more broad in scope at the same time.

A long time ago I asked John Scofield what he considered challenging (this was even before he was with Miles... a long time ago) and he said something really true "A lot of what I do is really simple. But when you don't know what it is, everything's hard.)
    The threshold of simple is a moving one. What's on the other side of your threshold at this point? We can recommend more, the more we know.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    One man's complex is another's walk in the park. Tunes like Stella are such staples they're not considered "complex" yet they're a compendium of devices that are considered working vocabulary. Something like Goodbye Porkpie Hat may be elusive to one person, the most natural to another.

Listen to a lot of music. What kinds of things are you charmed by. Many modern players employ harmonic families that once their parent scales are mastered (harmonic major, augmented scales derived from melodic minor, etc) become simpler and more broad in scope at the same time.

A long time ago I asked John Scofield what he considered challenging (this was even before he was with Miles... a long time ago) and he said something really true "A lot of what I do is really simple. But when you don't know what it is, everything's hard.)
    The threshold of simple is a moving one. What's on the other side of your threshold at this point? We can recommend more, the more we know.

David
    So true...

And sometimes simple things can be complex...comping on "Take the A train?" Easy, right?

Keeping it interesting when your bandmate takes 4 choruses...or more...notsomuch!

User Info Menu

House of Jade - Wayne Shorter.

User Info Menu

Dolphin Dance

User Info Menu

My One And Only Love - Grant Green version....

User Info Menu

Simple stuff can be the hardest because there's nowhere to hide.

Great suggestions and advice as always guys thanks!!

User Info Menu

Have a look at Whisper Not, lots to work through on it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzereh
    Have a look at Whisper Not, lots to work through on it
    Yes!

I didn't know this tune so I looked. I lurve it already! Definitely. I hope Babaluma finds it equally interesting.

Damn, I'm going to have to go and play it now...

User Info Menu

Apart from the usual line-up of sax and trumpet players, Wes recorded it and, strangely, did nothing with it at all. However, Jim Hall did, and I really like what he's done with it here:

The trouble is when it's that good one's tempted to copy it, even subconsciously. So I must listen sparingly and can't completely enjoy it as a disinterested listener would.

I tell you, it's hard in the arts :-)

User Info Menu

child is born.

User Info Menu

Try ballad version of All The Things. I second Blue and Greeen. Also Someday My Prince will Come.

User Info Menu

Here are a few tunes from book of one of the bands I work with....
    There all slower tempos

The Beauty of All Things....Laurence Hobgood
    By Any Means Necessary....Florian Ross
    Dreams... Billy Childs
    I'll Catch You....John Scofield
    I'll Remember August.... Ralph Towner
    Inn the Woods....Phil Markowitz
    Memory and Desire...Billy Childs

User Info Menu

I Remember Clifford
    Ask Me Know
    Con Alma