The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47
    Howdy,

I am a beginner when it comes to jazz. I am basically a self-taught fingerpicker who loves early New Orleans and Chicago jazz.

I would like to be able to play along with some records and/or YouTube videos and maybe at some point start a band or jam.

I was hoping someone could clue me in on what chord voicings are used in this style of music?

I just signed up for Matt Munisteri's new Peghead Nation course "Roots of Jazz Guitar", but the course has started out with playing in a "Freddie Green style" which I am not all that interested in (although I may stick with it just because it maybe useful later on).

I really like groups like Tuba Skinny, The Shotgun Jazz Band and The New Orleans Jazz Vipers. And of course all the original hot jazz artists.

Any information would be great! I have a couple of fake books like "The Dixieland Standards Book" and the "Firehouse Jazz Band Fake Book" and would really like to know what the "proper" chord voicings would be. And if there are other books that people usually work out of.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Banjo would have been the string instrument of choice for a lot of this, or tenor guitar.

If you don't want to experiment with different tunings, the top 4 strings on the guitar is the same as a banjo or tenor in "Chicago tuning."

I would think mostly major and minor triads, 6ths, 7ths, and diminished could get you far.

Conversely, instead of being an instrument that you're not, I think there's plenty of value in the good old 6th string plus 4th and 3rd swing rhythm voicings, although that stuff did come later...the "rhythm guitar the Ranger dog way" is a great book for that. I jammed a few times with a trad. group a few years ago, and I played rhythm like that, with occasional chord solo things on the top 4 strings, and nobody accused me of being too modern.

Thanks for the info.

I've actually had a few tenor banjos (and banjo mandolins)in the past and am not really interested in playing one at the moment (they drove everyone around me insane!). I realize that tenor and six string banjos are what were originally played back in the day, but I would like to know what a kind of chords folks are playing on guitar for this type of music.

So the Ranger Doug book is basically covering the "Freddie Green style"? I had seen that and thought about checking it out. Looks like he also has a video.

I actually find the Freddie chord semi confusing since one form can be 4 different chords. Seems like I would need to learn the 4 note voicings first.

-Ryan

User Info Menu

I don't consider that Freddie style. Most of the time, Freddie was playing 2, often even just 1 note.

One of the things you'll find in any jazz rhythm style is that many chord shapes can be more than one chord. That's actually a good thing.

User Info Menu

Just listened to some Nola jazz vipers...they're fun!

She really seems to be banging out those two note freddie chords in the "sister kate" video I just watched, maybe with the added bass note a bit. Fretting three, maybe four notes, but bashing out two.

I was thinking that she was playing 4 note chords.

As far a chord shape being more than one chord being a good thing, I'd be inclined to agree, but it makes things confusing for a beginner like myself!

-Ryan

User Info Menu

So now I'm listening to the "going going gone" album, and I'm hearing the top four strings a lot. Kinda hitting the middle two harder, and occasional flourishes on all 4.

I like this a lot, I'll transcribe some over the next few days. The guitar is really easy to hear on this album.

Cool!

I actually haven't listened to any of their albums (just YouTube), but I see that one is on Spotify so I'll check it out. On a side note, it looks like she's in another band called the Shake 'Em Up Jazz Band.

I have a hard time picking out chords in this type of music as they are so short and rhythmic (which is probably the point). I suppose that will get better with time.

-Ryan

User Info Menu

Here's Whit Smith from Hot Club of Cowtown explaining his approach to constructing chords, which IMO, would translate well to what you want to do, just apply the appropriate rhythm.

Thanks! I'll check out the video. I've only seen about 30 sec, but it sounds like what I am looking for (maybe a little busy).

-Ryan
    Last edited by westsideryan; 10-09-2017 at 12:40 AM.

User Info Menu

I play basic 6th, 6/9, 7th, 9th, 13th, m6, diminished 7 (a lot!). Almost never maj7, or m7 as a tonic. I don't even know how many notes of those chords I'm strumming sometimes, depends on a tune, I guess.

The most important things are happening in the right hand strumming and left hand muting, anyway. What shapes you play is secondary. The feel is everything for this style, you are the drummer basically! At least that's what got me some gigs, so that's how I see it.

User Info Menu

westsideryan, I'm a big fan of trad jazz. You've got good taste.

I've got Ranger Doug's book. It is cheap & it is worth it, including a little effort.

Gypsy jazz rhythm looks a lot like Ranger Doug's stuff to me, but I'm unschooled.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I don't consider that Freddie style. Most of the time, Freddie was playing 2, often even just 1 note.
    I think he was playing full chords in the 30s - sounds that way from the savory collection.

User Info Menu

Where’s Jonathan at?

User Info Menu

Major, minor, dom7, dim7. Basic harmony. 6 chords are more 30s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think he was playing full chords in the 30s - sounds that way from the savory collection.
    Yeah, his chords got smaller over the years. But if somebody asked me to play freddie style, I wouldn't play full chords, they'd get two noters.

User Info Menu

I use a 6 string banjo to play this style. Jason Lawrence from Tuba Skinny uses it too and I use it because of St. Cyr from Armstrong Hot Five/Seven and the great Danny Barker.

Triads are the winners in this style, sometimes with a 6th. Dominants with 7, of course. It's very, very rare the use of major 7. Dim 7 appears a lot too.
    The rhythm usually is the classic four to the bar, but there is much more embellishments with rolls and others stuffs than there is in swing.

Check out BandCamp for the entire discography from Tuba Skinny, Shotgun, Vipers and others great bands from NOLA.

So now I'm listening to the "going going gone" album, and I'm hearing the top four strings a lot. Kinda hitting the middle two harder, and occasional flourishes on all 4.

I like this a lot, I'll transcribe some over the next few days. The guitar is really easy to hear on this album.
    I love this record and Molly's playing. She is my favorite rhythm guitar player from NOLA.
    Last edited by clebergf; 10-09-2017 at 03:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, his chords got smaller over the years. But if somebody asked me to play freddie style, I wouldn't play full chords, they'd get two noters.
    All depends how big is da band too. The smaller it is the fuller the chords. You don't wanna play 2 notes in a duo or even a trio setting right?

User Info Menu

What Hep To The Jive said in #11.

I've just watched lots of performance vids of various bands including the ones the OP mentioned. If there's a guitar in the line up (and their fingers aren't hidden behind somebody!) they're just playing standard jazz-type chords - 6, 69, 9 (very popular), m6, and diminished (inside strings).

Exactly as HTTJ said. I also think there's use of shell voicings on some chords.

But, as he also said, it's also mainly about how you play rhythmically, the muted strums etc. And shapes going up and down the neck. And chords with the 5th in the bass...

Here's one, but I hesitate to include it because unless you know what you're doing it can look very confusing. But, fingering-wlse, that's the whole point on a guitar. The shapes blend into each other with seemingly not a lot going on. Probably the more skill involved the same-ier it looks.

This tune's in F, for example, and she's using an F6 shell voicing on the 8th fret for F, not at the usual 1st fret. Although she does that as well.

I think you should get a book or a teacher. It might save a lot of time.

@ ragman1:
    I'd get a book, but I wouldn't know which one! And, as far as teachers go, everyone I've spoken to so far just suggests playing "Freddie Green" style chords which doesn't seem right to me.

I can actually play the rhythm decent enough. It's the chords that I am not familiar with. Maybe if I sit down and watch some of these videos with a chord book I can figure out what's being played.

When I was younger I used to write my own songs (indie rock?) with my own kind of swinging rhythm playing so I think that I could pull off this style if I knew what chords to play.

Although slightly embarrassing, some of my old stuff (short snip-its) can be heard here:
    Amazon.com: Strike a Match: Fire On Your Sleeve: MP3 Downloads

I literally had taught myself to play guitar, so I only played power chords, 1st position chords and chords that just came about by messing around.

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    I use a 6 string banjo to play this style. Jason Lawrence from Tuba Skinny uses it too and I use it because of St. Cyr from Armstrong Hot Five/Seven and the great Danny Barker.

Triads are the winners in this style, sometimes with a 6th. Dominants with 7, of course. It's very, very rare the use of major 7. Dim 7 appears a lot too.
    The rhythm usually is the classic four to the bar, but there is much more embellishments with rolls and others stuffs than there is in swing.

Check out BandCamp for the entire discography from Tuba Skinny, Shotgun, Vipers and others great bands from NOLA.

I love this record and Molly's playing. She is my favorite rhythm guitar player from NOLA.
    Thanks for the info!

I already own all of Tuba Skinny's albums, but I'll check out BandCamp for the others!

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I play basic 6th, 6/9, 7th, 9th, 13th, m6, diminished 7 (a lot!). Almost never maj7, or m7 as a tonic. I don't even know how many notes of those chords I'm strumming sometimes, depends on a tune, I guess.

The most important things are happening in the right hand strumming and left hand muting, anyway. What shapes you play is secondary. The feel is everything for this style, you are the drummer basically! At least that's what got me some gigs, so that's how I see it.
    So, would the chord grips be similar to what is used in Gypsy Jazz/Swing? It seems there is quite a lot of material available on Gypsy rhythm.

I just got to thinking that maybe I originally asked the wrong question.

Maybe I should have asked what chord grips are commonly used in this style?

I've always naturally played in a sorta "boom-chick" rhythm style (just how I taught myself to play guitar), so I think that I could pull off the rhythmic part, but don't know the "grips" used. Would they be the same as used by Gypsy Jazz players?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by westsideryan
    @ ragman1:
    I'd get a book, but I wouldn't know which one!
    Any one that you like the look of. It's only chords, like we said - 6, 13, 9, dim - you can find them anywhere. They're not special to this kind of jazz. And, yes, they're the same as Gypsy Jazz uses. Probably Gypsy Jazz uses more complex ones though. But you can always just play ordinary chords, you know - G, C7, D7, etc etc. As HTTJ said, it's more how you play them, with that rhythmic muted style.

Want my advice? Don't sit in your room, go and play with other people. Find some players who do this stuff. Watch them. Ask their guitarists. That will definitely help no end.

User Info Menu

This guy does quite good chord lessons.

Sven Jungbeck
    - YouTube