The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Yea... anytime we verbally discuss music, it becomes technical.

Some like to copy and memorize... eventually develop their personal style. Understanding through experience.

Some like academic performance, cognitive development... the technical approach etc... Understanding by developing cognitive skills and organized physical activities etc...

Some like combinations etc... I guess what works best would be based on what your goal is.

Personally when we as musicians get into rhythm.... there are musicians that have time and musicians that can follow time. Most tend to be followers. By that .... I mean most can feel time when there is a framework to feel time within.

Subdividing is simple technique that helps musicians have time, and the skill of developing feels of time within frameworks.

Generally there isn't a magical skill of feeling the pulse. It's a developed skill.

Depending on your early experiences etc... some need to work on developing rhythmic skills more than others.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, thanks to all the posters for your replies. They are very useful and will help me (.... for years to come). I have bought a book/cd called Rhythm First (Rhythm First!: A Beginner's Guide to Jazz Improvisation: Tom Kamp: 9781883217860: Amazon.com: Books).

I am finding it really good, it goes back to very fundamental basics and, associated with the advice in the thread, I think will get on the path to better rhythm,

Thanks once again, Simon