The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

I started playing at 62 and I am now 66 and really enjoying it. Jamie is really good I had some Skype lessons with him he is a great teacher and a nice guy who plays jazz guitar well. I started with Autumn leaves as a chord melody from on of the Jazz on line lessons, I thing it's great song to build on. May I recommend Joe Alexanders book on Chord tone soloing, I really think for me it has helped tremendously. My personal goal was 10 years so 72 to get it together, I have to say I pleased with progress, but play everyday as much as possible.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Although you do slow down when you get older it's not so much age as capacity and mindset. If you have that you can do it. I believe so anyway.

User Info Menu

I may be prejudiced, but I would say that someone may be too old to learn how to play guitar if they haven't been listening to music somewhat critically for a majority of their life.

User Info Menu

I am 50. Never had any interest in playing guitar ie rock or blues. 17 years ago at the age of 33 i watched Martin Taylor give a performance in a Borders book shop, i sat right in front of him and said to myself i would love to do that on the guitar. 2 days later i bought a cheap acoustic and started to teach myself, 3 weeks later i answered an advert for a guitarist to accompany students in a jazz get together. I learned how to comp and play rythm, to solo etc. I immersed mysely in playing up until 5 years ago. Got fed up with it and now have picked it up again. Any age is fine by me wether you are starting out or going back to the instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjazz
    17 years ago at the age of 33 i watched Martin Taylor give a performance in a Borders book shop
    Was that in Brighton? I was there

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Was that in Brighton? I was there
    No, it was in Glasgow City Centre, Buchanan Street.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've played rhythm and finger picking since 1962 when I was 10. But I started jazz soloing when I was 63, 10 months before heart surgery. I practice 3 hours/day and have never felt better!

User Info Menu

34 years old for me I am 46 now. Literally heard my first meaningful jazz record Full house with Wes.