+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By mr. beaumont
  • 1 Post By Oldern
  • 2 Post By pierre richard
  • 1 Post By D.G.

Thread: Getting started with jazz improvisation

Getting started with jazz improvisation

FatJeff had a great link and good idea--since this is a commonly asked question, we could keep this thread updated with good links/vids/resources for those starting out.

Let's keep this thread discussion free, just links and descriptions. If you want to say in particular how a site or link helped you, that's encouraged.

Here's FatJeff's link to start:

How to Get Started Learning Jazz Improvisation | jazzadvice.com
    gcmachel and clebergf like this.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.jeffmatzguitar.com

"What’s swinging in words? If a guy makes you pat your foot and if you feel it down your back, you don’t have to ask anybody if that’s good music or not. You can always feel it.”

--Miles Davis

Thanks a lot for this!

A Link for Getting Started and Improvising

I've posted this a couple of times.

http://www.jazzguitarstartingright.com/index.html

His site is all about getting started, improvising, arpeggios, scales, chords, backing tracks and analysis of tunes. Try it-you might like it.

Oldern
    gcmachel likes this.

Walking Bass Lines

Best lesson on walking bass out there:

+
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Barney Kessel was asked, “What’s the hardest thing about studio work?” He replied, “Finding a parking place.”
    "I don't know what other people are doing - I just know about me."- Thelonious Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Oldern View Post
    I've posted this a couple of times.

http://www.jazzguitarstartingright.com/index.html

His site is all about getting started, improvising, arpeggios, scales, chords, backing tracks and analysis of tunes. Try it-you might like it.

Oldern
    Sir..thanks a bunch for pointing to this link.. i am now coupling this site with 'jazzadvice.com'.. Thanks a lot!

Sweet

lickbyneck.com
    Learning standard tunes building a chord vocabulary
    Best way I've found yet.
    Great transcription of My one and only love and Somewhere over the rainbow

I think working with simplified changes helps clear out a lot of the chaff in the beginning, so I recommend these charts:

The Vanilla Book
    jbyork likes this.

Last edited by solomarce1; 04-03-2013 at 11:47 AM.

I'm two steps from purchasing my first guitar and taking some lessons. It's been about 28 years since I've played any instrument (wind instruments), but I'm feeling pretty good about picking this up. I'm looking at an Ibanez AF95 - the reviews all seem good, the quality appears good enough (nothing a newbie like me would notice or care about), the price isn't one that makes my head pop ($579 new) and it looks pretty nice (wanting to stay below 600). Any thoughts?

I would start by knowing the triads all over the fretboard.

Pick 3 sets of strings and work on the 3 inversions of one triad (do this for all tons).

Then work your voice leading in a I IV V I progression.

Triads will give you a strong sound and will make the listener hear the harmony. Then you can go to more advanced improvisation with the triads guiding you.

htp//ararur.bandcamp.com

As a noob struggling with improv, I can say that arpeggios have definitely helped a ton.

Mr. Beaumont has some excellent videos on the subject.

What I like to do is use Arpeggios and connect them using the parent scale/mode, making sure to land on a chord tone of the next chord - I personally target 3rd's and 7th's.

Autumn Leaves is a great way to get this going nicely.

hi, Greetings.
    I want to ask you, how to be a good jazz guitar player and true, right along with learning patterns. thank you.

My opinion to start improvising... Mmm i think and i did it this way.. First I learned a lot of chords and harmonize, then learn substitutions for chords you already know ( or play some jazz standards, chord melody style) after you get familiarized and dominate your chords playing movements, use simple arpeggios of the substitution chords and play around with that notes up and down... Last advice: just keep close on the melody and be careful with the tempo. Don't get scared about chords, its very simple just be patient!

Something that can help, I'm not a great jazz guitar player but I can play, you can learn chords progressions, Rhythm Changes, Blues, and some famous standards that don't belong to these chords progressions (Autumn Leaves, Tune Up, Solar, How High The Moon, All The Things You are...) and then try to play the walking bass, only the walking bass like if you were a bass player, then play only the guide notes (3rd and 7th) and sing the theme at the same time.
    Play all these things with a metronome ! And never write what you play, with the walking bass and the guide notes you are already improvising.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1