The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

I practise everyday if I can...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not during the week. I play quite a lot at the weekends to make up for it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I practise everyday if I can...

Yes. Even if it’s just 15 minutes of running through songs in my repertoire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

For me generally there's a difference between practice and playing.

Practice is scales and chord / right hand technique / patterns (I sometimes use beats to copy onto my right hand) while playing is just "performing" tunes that I'm pretty familiar and competent at.

I try to do both daily.

User Info Menu

Yes. Many days twice a day.

User Info Menu

I owned a guitar shop for about 30 years and taught on average about 40 - 50 private students each week ranging in age from teenagers to senior citizens. The students that improved the quickest were the ones who played guitar everyday. It seemed to be the consistency of having the guitar in their hands everyday so that it felt like it belonged there that made the difference.

In other words, the students who played guitar for an hour each day progressed more quickly than the ones who practiced for 7 hours on the weekend and then skipped the rest of the week.

User Info Menu

Yes. Every day. Each and every day.

User Info Menu

I do every day, but sometimes I need a little vacation. When I get back my guitar gets very hot for the first week!

User Info Menu

I play every day, at least a half-hour. It's not because I have to, though. I just love the guitar, I own several very nice guitars, and I can't keep my hands off of them. It's fun to try to honor these wonderful guitars by improving my ability to bring out their best qualities.

User Info Menu

Real practice, probably not, just not enough time some days.

But I try to pick it up and learn something new everyday.

User Info Menu

I mostly play, seldom practice.

User Info Menu

I play most days. I only miss if we have something unusual come up, and we have to be away from home for awhile without a guitar. I'm not religious about it, but I certainly miss it if I don't get to play.

User Info Menu

I rarely miss a day. But it is not dedication or discipline. I do it to unwind at the end of the day. We got rid of TV a few years beck, and playing guitar at night fills the space TV used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Every morning, I turn on the jazz radio channel at low volume while wifey is still sleeping and I noodle my way on the fretboard for at least a good 30 minutes, having my morning coffee and fix of JGF

User Info Menu

Not practicing every day. Occasionally, some days, I try to actually play the guitar.

User Info Menu

I also rarely miss a day, and when I do it is either because I am away from home or I did something with my hands that needs recovery. Yesterday my firm went go kart racing for our last year holiday party. Tons of fun and after 58 laps I posted a third place finish. It is really difficult to pass people and that holds back your times. Nice cheezy trophy though. Unfortunately as a result my picking forearm is sore. And I have some house painting to do today. Might not be able to play today at all. Hopefully be better tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Pretty much the first thing I do every day is grab a guitar. I play many times every day and can't imagine not doing so. After almost 50 years, I very seldom sit down with a formal lesson or work on technique. Mostly I'm learning and playing songs.

I realize that people with real jobs have to play when they can. I'm fortunate that I've never had one of those.

User Info Menu

Absolutely. It's a sacred hour dedicated to one piece I'm working on each week. Then on top of that there's time actually playing or teaching. But the practicing is for me; I need it. Every day I learn something new.
    Steve, absolutely correct about the regularity of daily practice. I can only describe it as the presence of a practiced ease and the confidence that love of the instrument allows. I can never describe or convince students that don't spend regular time, but for those who do, there's an understanding no matter what level they are in the journey.

David

User Info Menu

Yes. But life can get busy so when that happens I think about 15 minute chunks of practice and some days might only get 15 minutes. I also usually spend some time just thinking about tunes or transposing to other keys etc. I try to average at least 90 minutes a day; more on weekends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    I owned a guitar shop for about 30 years and taught on average about 40 - 50 private students each week ranging in age from teenagers to senior citizens. The students that improved the quickest were the ones who played guitar everyday. It seemed to be the consistency of having the guitar in their hands everyday so that it felt like it belonged there that made the difference.

In other words, the students who played guitar for an hour each day progressed more quickly than the ones who practiced for 7 hours on the weekend and then skipped the rest of the week.

Hope this helps!
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar
    As a student that's what I noticed so I try to play every day even if I only have 15 mins. If I have little time, I practice rather than play. I also noticed that playing chord melody everyday is really effective to "stay in shape".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Yes I always try and start the day with 30-60 minutes because it puts such a great spin on the day and puts me in a great mood. Plus I feel I enjoy playing more in the morning when I'm fresh.

User Info Menu

I rarely missed a day for my first 20 years or so, but now I only practice guitar a couple hours a week at most. Most of my practice time now is devoted to upright bass, but I also spend a lot of time working on music in ways that don't directly involve an instrument: arranging for small groups and big band, composing, reharmonizing standards, etc.

In some ways I think measuring practice by the amount of time you spend with your instrument isn't really that helpful. There really great musicians who haven't spent a lot of time practicing in the traditional sense. Looking back on my own time, I wish I would have worked a bit smarter rather than just harder.

User Info Menu

I try to, but what is missing is more focused quality practice time. Too much else going on.

User Info Menu

I play at practicing (with very rare exceptions involving being AFG) every day. Quite frequently I practice playing. I usually only stop at the onset of discomfort or irresistible drowsiness (another reason to use a strap and strap locks).

User Info Menu

I play every day. Do I practice? Not so much any more (after 38 years); up until last October I was in a band for seven years and that more or less forced me to practice.