Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: The Django film

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    482

    The Django film

    Me and my wife just saw this film yesterday. It was not a bad one, but I thought its a "better" film.

    Ps. Edit: I dont like dramas, because the whole life is a drama. So maybe thats why I expected a better one, I didnt know its a drama. And I dont know why, but because the Sweet and Lowdown from Woody Allen is a happy one, I expected this to be similar. But thinking back it was really not bad. So thats just my 2 cents.

    But... What a fault... I just realized that in the picture of the trailer the actor is holding the guitar as a left-handed, and in the film he is "playing" as a right handed...

    I was very happy, when I saw Adrien Moignard, Rocky Gresset in the film for 1-2 seconds, while the guys are playing cards, and Hono Winterstein (Bireli's rhythm guitarist) plays a bigger part in it.

    You can watch a little trailer about it here;

    Last edited by mrblues; 11-13-2017 at 02:56 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    960
    Saw it at a preview show in summer here in my hometown. Had too many doubts about the story to be historically correct so I picked up a biography of Django. It's not true that he made it across the swiss border - he was rejected and sent back because he was neither black nor jewish. Guess that was changed in the score to make it more "drama". The story is a bit boring because there's actually not much happening while he stays in switzerland close to the border waiting to be led across the borderline.
    Best part of the preview show was a Roma trio from my hometown playing half an hour of manouche swing.We have a community of sinti here with quite a few good musicians.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.


    "I never practice. I just open the guitar case and throw in a piece of meat." (Wes Montgomery)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO View Post
    Saw it at a preview show in summer here in my hometown. Had too many doubts about the story to be historically correct so I picked up a biography of Django. It's not true that he made it across the swiss border - he was rejected and sent back because he was neither black nor jewish. Guess that was changed in the score to make it more "drama". The story is a bit boring because there's actually not much happening while he stays in switzerland close to the border waiting to be led across the borderline.
    Best part of the preview show was a Roma trio from my hometown playing half an hour of manouche swing.We have a community of sinti here with quite a few good musicians.
    Thats the best expression for some parts of film what You wrote; "boring".

    I would be happy if there would be sinti gypsies here with gitanes, and bass... So I am envy reading what You wrote

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    960
    It was these guys here:


    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.


    "I never practice. I just open the guitar case and throw in a piece of meat." (Wes Montgomery)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO View Post
    It was these guys here:


    Ye ye ye DDDDD Thanks man, You made my day

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblues View Post
    But... What a fault... I just realized that in the picture of the trailer the actor is holding the guitar as a left-handed, and in the film he is "playing" as a right handed...
    Actually, I think the Youtube picture is a mirror image of the movie cover.


  7. #7
    Where is the movie available for those of us in the US? I'd like to watch it but can't find it available online for streaming or purchase.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    4,401
    lookin forward to seeing django film...

    nice to see the reference to sweet and lowdown...a true film homage to django!!!...via its comic protaganist...very clever script by woody!...guitar was played by howard alden..and sean penn did great job learning the fingerings to make it seem real....

    great rom director tony gatlif has some great films involving music as well...gadjo dilo...about a young french musicologist in search of classic rom music...great film!




    cheers

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecytochromec View Post
    Actually, I think the Youtube picture is a mirror image of the movie cover.

    You must be right.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch


Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

 

 

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed