The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

who are some jazz guys with complex rigs? mostly when we think of jazz guitarists, it's usually guitar into amp with maybe some pedals but are there any guys that go next level for jazz?

(apart from metheny of course!)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know whether it's complex in absolute terms, but the times I've seen Rosenwinkel his pedal arrangement have looked like a chaotic rat's nest. Not my picture, but it aint far off from what I've seen.

complex jazz rigs?-img_0209-225x300-jpg

Of course, for complexity, Metheny's orchestrion takes the cake. Makes for a great visual though.

User Info Menu

It all depends on what I can be bothered to take to gigs and the nature of the project.

To be honest I wish Kurt would knock off the pedals (I’m not a fan of his taking the attack off he front end of the sound), but he’s chasing a sound, so that’s legit.

User Info Menu

Gilads rig is quite complicated. I think he would sound like himself straight into a fender amp tho.

User Info Menu

Scofield, not surprisingly (has a 'main board' and a 'satellite board'!):

Equipment - John Scofield

User Info Menu

You can clearly see Wes' complex rig and pedals in this picture. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

oh so that's where metheny got the idea to run the digitech 2101 dsp guitar preamp into 2 lexicon prime-time digital delay lines from

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    I don't know whether it's complex in absolute terms, but the times I've seen Rosenwinkel his pedal arrangement have looked like a chaotic rat's nest. Not my picture, but it aint far off from what I've seen.

complex jazz rigs?-img_0209-225x300-jpg

Of course, for complexity, Metheny's orchestrion takes the cake. Makes for a great visual though.
    How does one find duff cables / connections crackling noises etc in a rig like that ?
    Jesus that rig scares me ....
    What if everything suddenly went quiet in the
    middle of something

(I guess you could rig an A/B box ,
    with the B side going direct into the amp)

User Info Menu

It’s ok Kurt uses occult magic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    who are some jazz guys with complex rigs? mostly when we think of jazz guitarists, it's usually guitar into amp with maybe some pedals but are there any guys that go next level for jazz?

(apart from metheny of course!)
    One thing I have never heard told, is the story about how Pat Metheny developed the sound he used on Bright Size Life.

As far as I can recall, I'd never heard anything remotely like it. I wonder where he got the idea, all that equipment and then the playing style that was suited for it.

The Lexicons were expensive. Pat M. had one and, apparently thought, "this isn't enough! I need another one!". How did he formulate these ideas?

User Info Menu

I have a multi-FX board..it has something like 50 sounds..I use 4 at most on some pieces .. some guys use 12-15 and really know how to tune them up..and some of it sounds good..but the volume needed to really hear one effect over the other is not nice to the ears..

back in the day..it was four 12" speakers/150w amp turned up to 10 and a fuzz pedal..and some guys would say (and they were serious) "hey man ya need to crank it up"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

I think Pat like very much Wes playing...:-)
    I/ve heard abot this from his interviue few years ago.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

I 'd say Metheny is probably the champion of complex rigs, specially live, with the 4-way sound system he plays through

User Info Menu

Defining "jazz guys" in 2017 is kinda broad, as even lots of guys that can play standards or straight ahead stuff with a jazz box straight into an amp also have a modern fusion side to their musical personality that requires a considerable amount of effects. Sco's Uberjam pedalboard would make you dizzy, but the following list of players certainly rival his need for devices to create special sounds. Most use a minimum of a half dozen pedals, often many more, so that gets somewhat complex in my book.

Bill Frisell
    Adam Rogers
    Jonathan Kreisberg
    Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Oz Noy
    Nels Cline
    Scott Henderson
    Marc Ribot
    Wayne Krantz
    Mike Moreno...and on and on...and, the fact is that most could play a clean jazz box version of All The Things You Are, that would make you weep....

User Info Menu

it is also impressive how creative their use of effects is! In many cases, the material you hear is still pretty much mainstream lines most of the time, but with a whole new and personal voice which takes it to another level. A difficult thing to do in jazz

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the time that Charlie Christian showed up with a wah-wah pedal and Benny gave him 'the ray'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    One thing I have never heard told, is the story about how Pat Metheny developed the sound he used on Bright Size Life.

As far as I can recall, I'd never heard anything remotely like it. I wonder where he got the idea, all that equipment and then the playing style that was suited for it.

The Lexicons were expensive. Pat M. had one and, apparently thought, "this isn't enough! I need another one!". How did he formulate these ideas?
    BSL was before Pat was using delays and multi amps. Pretty sure it was just his Acoustic amp and the 175. His follow up LP Watercolours has one or two pieces with the lexicon delays.
    Watercolours has a lot of great music on it but the tune flow is a bit jarring, it just doesn't "flow". It really should have been released as a more distinctave side A, side B lp. If you've ever heard it you know exactly what I'm talking about, it hit me the first time I heard the album.

User Info Menu

What's odd is when guys demo an amp through a half dozen pedals, or worse still when they endlessly swap pups and can actually hear huge differences in "tone" through said pedals. Even more so when players laud another players tone and amp even though much of what you hear is enhanced by pedals.

I guess I'm just too old to be diddling with more than a reverb pedal for an amp that has none. One thing for sure, when I play I can hear me, the amp and git without a single doubt what is giving me the tone :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    What's odd is when guys demo an amp through a half dozen pedals, or worse still when they endlessly swap pups and can actually hear huge differences in "tone" through said pedals. Even more so when players laud another players tone and amp even though much of what you hear is enhanced by pedals.

I guess I'm just too old to be diddling with more than a reverb pedal for an amp that has none. One thing for sure, when I play I can hear me, the amp and git without a single doubt what is giving me the tone :-)
    Reverb? Are you really a proper old purist?

User Info Menu

The best sound I heard with my guitar was a single wire into a small homemade amp - a simple Fender clone. It. was. so. freaking. sweet. Didn't have the money that day so I had to leave it there. I wonder how many pedals I have to buy to get the same sound.
    But seriously now, that kinda convinced me that the less junk on the signal path, the better for natural sound. But often this is not the goal of course.