The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

When I took my Johnny Smith out of the case, everybody ooohed and ahhhed and I felt like that's all they saw.
    When I'm playing the weathered workhorse that's always on my back or in my arms, nobody comments. When play it though, it feels like there's nothing between me and the music. The music. That's all that I feel.
    The closer I come to the beauty in music, the less a pretty guitar matters.
    That's just me

David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

" Of course I can only speak for my own guitars, but so far at least, my looks haven't seemed to bother them much. "

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    When I took my Johnny Smith out of the case, everybody ooohed and ahhhed and I felt like that's all they saw.

David
    That can be an advantage if you prefer playing naked, just saying.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    That can be an advantage if you prefer playing naked, just saying.
    Hmm sounds like it could be a new criteria for a playing partner. Or maybe after Harvey Weinstein that's not a good idea...
    Just saying

David

User Info Menu

I love guitars as art and I have bought guitars on the basis of appearance.

But, I was younger then.

Now, my thinking is that you get the right tool for the job.

The guitar has to feel right and sound right so you can make the music you want to make.

If I had to choose between two guitars that were functionally and sonically exact duplicates, then I'd take the prettier one.

I currently play a Strat copy. Thinnest neck I could find, which I need because of arthritis, but, honestly, if I didn't have the arthritis I might still choose it. I like not fighting the size of the neck. I put a HB in the neck position and I process the output with a pedalboard. I can get the sound I'm going for, more or less. The guitar looks bad and I've heard about some behind-the-back comments about it, but only about the way it looks, never about the way it sounds. Also, I don't worry so much about it getting stolen on a gig, which allows me to relax a little more.

User Info Menu

I have always enjoyed guitars simply as objects of desire, I think most of us are drawn to certain instruments that speak to us visually. But, as a player, my experience is if you find an instrument that sounds okay and is reasonably playable, if you stick with for a long enough time, you will find out how to get the sounds you want out of it. You learn that your ability to make music will transcend the instrument.

User Info Menu

"How much do looks matter when it comes to your guitar"

Zero.

If anything I go for the more odd looking models like the Les Paul XLP (or is it XPL?) Vegas, Es-195, Lexan / Acrylic strats, double cut Les Pauls, IBANZ AWD's, except "things" like the Flying V and the Cort "Axe"
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 10-21-2017 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

"I read a book recently on the new music business by Ari Herstand, and he says again and again that video is the way things are going".

Please tell me that this book was published prior to 1980?

User Info Menu

Color and shape of a guitar tend to inspire me and I take no shame in it. Why should I? If you're happy in your routine, who's to come along and say, "YOU CAN'T DO THAT"....lol Music and art is subjective and unique to each player and inspirations come from infinite avenues. Who's to say it's "wrong" to be inspired by color and shape?

User Info Menu

My take on this is it matters as long as it matters to you.
    What makes someone feel good is enough to justify it.
    My wife keep asking me to let my Tal on its wall hanger instead of being in its case when I am not playing it because its a damn nice piece of decoration in our living room regardless of its fabulous tone.
    Yes I like the fact it is gorgeous even if some people are not fan of its unusual appointments; each time I play it, I am excited as the first day I got it.
    Yes at the end of the day a guitar is a tool and doesn't make music by itself, but there is nothing wrong with being driven by its esthetic too.
    People don't need nice cars to get from A to B, just reliable and comfortable ones, but still!
    If we would need to justify our guitars based on actual musical achievements, I believe that forum would not have as many gorgeous NGDs

User Info Menu

If we're going to a guitar store, what attracts us first is how a guitar looks. Quality and price of an item are basically important but its appearance is also something that plays a big part.