The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Florence Foster Jenkins.

I'm acquiring the figure, too.

Anything is possible if you work hard enough.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger

And I do not see myself as standing on the shoulders of my heroes, I see myself standing in their shadows.

well, wasn't trying to imply shoulders vs shadows..just semantics...point is i try to honor their influence...whether i do or not, well...but their influence is somewhere in there...and i thank them for it!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Pat Martino for me, at some point i tried to actually fight it, as my interpretation was incorrect and not sounding right , but yeah just his driving spirit and energy is etched in my psyche

User Info Menu

El Kabong!

Which player is engraved in your style?-9ae01d4d0c4ddedd86b55e8a18318aa6-jpg

User Info Menu

I LOVE Django and Joe Pass! So far, I have achieved Joe Pass' mustache and hairline. I am also gradually absorbing the gypsy picking technique. As far as comparing myself to them, I wouldn't presume...

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian - although I doubt Charlie would hear much of himself in my playing.

User Info Menu

Cool thread topic!

Depending on the tune, I'll shamelessly shoehorn in as many Metheny licks as I can. I can only play the simple ones - you know the trademark slurs and double stops. If it's more straight ahead stuff, Joe Pass dotted-eighth-and sixteenth swing eighths is my reference point.

User Info Menu

I'd like to sound like Bill Frisell with some Ed Bickert thrown in. My wife thinks that I sound like Jimmy Page. I can settle for that.

User Info Menu

What I think is endessly amusing is what you think is engraved in your playing - and what other people hear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gator811
    What I think is endessly amusing is what you think is engraved in your playing - and what other people hear.
    True! But really that’s not so awfully important. What’s important is what you hear in your own playing. I have no idea what other people hear in my playing, in terms of a person. I mean occasionally Metheny might pop out, or I don’t know. But I know really what I’m hearing. And because, for me, it’s lines and not the sound of a Guitar, that I’m not hearing Metheny, or Sco or Hall or Benson or Wes. Those other reference points other people have for listening to jazz guitar players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

True! But really that’s not so awfully important. What’s important is what you hear in your own playing. I have no idea what other people hear in my playing, in terms of a person. I mean occasionally Metheny might pop out, or I don’t know. But I know really what I’m hearing. And because, for me, it’s lines and not the sound of a Guitar, that I’m not hearing Metheny, or Sco or Hall or Benson or Wes. Those other reference points other people have for listening to jazz guitar players.
    Sure - I dont think its a big deal either - but it is amusing.

Bill Evans is a huge influence on me - so is Steve Howe, Wes, and Albert King. I can feel the intention of playing something from my Bill transcription days. Also I spent alot of time transcribing and listening to Coltrane but I think its less pervasive. Steve Howe made me want to play guitar and explore music to another level but I dont think I sound anything like that (I maybe wrong...thats whats so funny)

User Info Menu

Bill Evans is a huge influence on me - so is Steve Howe, Wes, and Albert King. I can feel the intention of playing something from my Bill transcription days. Also I spent alot of time transcribing and listening to Coltrane but I think its less pervasive. Steve Howe made me want to play guitar and explore music to another level but I dont think I sound anything like that (I maybe wrong...thats whats so funny)
    Surely no-one would want their 'jazz' playing to sound like Steve Howe's butchering of Four On Six - presumably for a paying audience???:
    Last edited by destinytot; 10-07-2017 at 10:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Surely no-one would want their 'jazz' playing to sound like Steve Howe's butchering of Four On Six - presumably for a paying audience???:
    ha oh dear- not his bag is it?

He heard Wes and Django early in his life and came up with all that stuff he did with Yes. He didnt sound like any other 'rock' player and he has never been a jazzer. Thats what is interesting.

I'm an unapologetic Yes fan - I admit it.

User Info Menu

ha oh dear- not his bag is it?
    All the more reason for him to leave Wes's signature tunes well alone.
    Last edited by destinytot; 10-07-2017 at 05:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Lester Young.

User Info Menu

Martin Taylor is a big influence to me.

User Info Menu

Mike Stern. Well, dreaming isn't bad lol. I'm a kind of person who practiced hundred times a day to be the best or 'nearly' best jazz guitarist.