Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    [QUOTE=fasstrack;760982][QUOTE=lawson-stone;760778]...and listening while I work here at my desk.
    ...And stop GOOFING OFF, why dontcha? LOL...
    Hey I'm an academic. Goofing off is part of the job description!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Hatfield, PA. Have also lived in Riverdale, NY, Brooklyn, NY, The Hague, Netherlandd
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    I bet I can sell that personal note on eBay and recoup the cost of the CD... =8-0
    Maybe I can unload those mud-soaked Woodstock programs in the same offer.

Glad I didn't write anything DIRTY. Wait, maybe I SHOULD have...
    Charlie Christian got me in a world of trouble

---Me

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack View Post
    Maybe I can unload those mud-soaked Woodstock programs in the same offer.

Glad I didn't write anything DIRTY. Wait, maybe I SHOULD have...
    Then I could blackmail you, sell it on eBay, use what you paid me for blackmail to up-bid the letter, and when it sells we could split the take.

Way more money than my last book netted me, that's for sure.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Hatfield, PA. Have also lived in Riverdale, NY, Brooklyn, NY, The Hague, Netherlandd
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Then I could blackmail you, sell it on eBay, use what you paid me for blackmail to up-bid the letter, and when it sells we could split the take.

Way more money than my last book netted me, that's for sure.
    How to sky dive, by Hugo First...

---Me

Downloads now available!

Part of my solo CD, Melody Messenger, is available for download here (.99 cents a pop). The rest I'm too computer idiotic to figure out how to upload, or they were saved under different names.
    • Included so far:
      Once Upon a Time
      My Babe
      Lookin' For Another Pure Love (called Stevie Wonder experiment for Joel)
      Two For the Road
      Anyone can Whistle
      Baby Won't You Please Come Home
      You'll Never Walk Alone

Coming are:
      Shelter (Joel Fass)
      Here's That Rainy Day
      Lulu's Back in Town
      The 'D' Medley (Down Here on the Ground/Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams)
      When the Sun Comes Out
      It's Only a Paper Moon

http://www.soundclick.com/paypal/default.cfm…
      The entire CD is available by PMing me.
      Thank you for your support

Last edited by fasstrack; 04-20-2017 at 08:03 AM.

---Me

Soundclick are officially IDIOTS. I'm trying to upload the rest of my songs to the PAY page (store). I cannot find how to upload new songs to my album, and their 'help' is no help. PLUS, they put the same songs up for FREE, without my permission. F'ing MORONS!! I will delete the tracks from the free page as soon as I can figure out how. The old stuff is on me.

I ask you as gentlemen to PLEASE pay the lousy buck or so for each song and let me make a little income from a project 6 years and much toil in the making...

---Me

Sound cloud is as user friendly as a cornered wolverine on PCP.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action?"

--Adam West, as Batman, 1966.

No, I'm gonna keep up the way I've been, and hopefully someone will wake up. The great Charlie Parker said find one person in the room and play to HIM.

I don't need to be a big shot or big name. But it saddens me that no one will pay for good music anymore. Why would they when it's free on the Web? Maybe the world has passed me by, but I'm gonna keep on with street playing, trying to SELL CDs and do the few gigs I do get. I'm not letting this bullshit turn the world has taken stop or even slow me down.

I actually think the election of Ugly Orange Face may be a blessing in disguise: a wake-up call that people aren't living real lives anymore, just bullshit digital ones. Wait til the yahoos who voted for him get wind of him breaking his campaign promises, like all these whore pols do---and see that he's a jerk. Already, the people I speak to are expressing extreme displeasure with the BS Steve Jobs-Donald Trump world. They want a change---and when they change their lives back to real ones long-suffering folks like myself and many others I know will prosper.

Wait and see...
    What!? No thumbs down response option?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Sound cloud is as user friendly as a cornered wolverine on PCP.
    SoundCLICK, not cloud...

---Me

I got my copy yesterday and recommend it to folks here. Buy it!! The swinging orchestral quality of Joel's playing works perfectly with the selected tunes, and it's deceptively easy to get drawn in to the music, forget you're even listening to a guitarist's rendition (it might as well have been piano or string quartet for that matter) and just enjoy these arrangements. There a natural and honest beauty to the entire set that's disarming and joyful. *****

I got my copy yesterday and recommend it to folks here. Buy it!! The swinging orchestral quality of Joel's playing works perfectly with the selected tunes, and it's deceptively easy to get drawn in to the music, forget you're even listening to a guitarist's rendition (it might as well have been piano or string quartet for that matter) and just enjoy these arrangements. There a natural and honest beauty to the entire set that's disarming and joyful. *****

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut View Post
    Wow: so nice you wrote it twice.

The check is in the mail, Mark (;

Seriously, it appears it's a mutual admiration society. I listen to that duo CD with Stowell a LOT, and gone out of my way to text every guitar player I know ('names' included) to swoop down and grab it. If you like beauty, two high caliber players just about inside each others' heads and mature restraint---listen no further than to Cross Country Lines. It's as good as it gets...

---Me

I'm glad to hear you think my work 'orchestral', BTW. I always felt it a bit 'plain Jane', sort of a 'brown paper bag' thing---which is cool, but I sometimes hear a lack of 'changing up', and feel I should go back and check out Van Eps more. The arranging I DO do is sort of 'off the top'---just what I hear in studio or before. A good tune doesn't need much help from me. I just arrange enough to expose how I feel about it, but mostly try to 'bring it out'. Anyway, I feel I'm really an improviser more than arranger. I tried large ensemble arranging, and it wasn't a good fit---at least for now. (I admit I like when I opened up, like on My Babe. That was done right on the spot, the key change back and forth, and the tempo change. Improvising IS composition).

So I'm glad someone with your ears has a different opinion...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 04-22-2017 at 10:22 PM.

---Me

When I say orchestral I mean it sounds really complete and there's no feeling like, wish there was a bass player or a horn carrying a line. It's doesn't have to be overly complex or even particularly hard- it's mostly when things are all sitting appropriately together. Pulling that off with improvised solo guitar is so much harder than it seems. You've go a natural senseability for uncluttered playing, nothing unnecessary. That's what makes it orchestral.

Thanks.

Clutter is a drag, and the song tells us what to play, doesn't it? We're entitled to add our viewpoints, and 'salud', once we really know the composer's intent. A song is not a mat to wipe our feet on. That's just the way I feel. I've been accused of being a little 'tight', and maybe there's truth to that. Used to be a much bigger problem.

And the guitar IS a mini-orchestra. Why not take advantage, especially solo? (I started playing solo on the streets of Manhattan in 1980, so I've had a long time to cultivate whatever it is I do).

Finally, people truly secure in their creativity/musical personalities don't flaunt it, or need to. They reach for it, it's there and dependable. I like to use mine in service to the song...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 04-22-2017 at 10:24 PM.

---Me

Now available as downloads on soundclick---entire album or 'singles' (You'll Never Walk Alone from the CD is a 'freebie' on the main page):

SoundClick's music store

---Me

It's now on CD Baby. (Have to work out a few bugs first).

Gonna try Bandcamp, but they only sell and accept downloads. Time to contact my techno-monkey...

---Me

- show quoted text -

FWIW: I've decided to 'stop the presses', and wait to put this on CD Baby for the following 2 reasons:

1. I don't think my rendition of When the Sun Comes Out is up to the standard of the rest of the recording. After a nice, perky intro it drags a bit, then holds the tempo---but nothing that exciting happens. Besides, there are already 2 Harold Arlen songs, and way better versions of them, so that's plenty. These days, people's attention spans are short, let's face it. There's also a bad edit on Last Night When We Were Young (speaking of Arlen): after editing out a flubbed low F#, for some reason I approved an additional edit where a few beats are dropped---screwing up the whole effect of going from rubato to tempo on the bridge. My fault entirely, and we fixed it.

2. My engineer (and lifelong friend) Bobby Lenti wants to replace mp3 files w/wav---and, especially for the physical CDs, I agree.

So I will send in an abridged copy to CD Baby, and take When the Sun...off both future copies and my Soundclick page. We have to put our best foot (feet?) forward, this my first commercially release----and, most of all, I'm not only proud of the rest of it but moved by the praise in the liner notes by these great players and guys. I feel I should live up to it.

Thanks for your support,

Joel...

---Me

Bump. It's STILL available, on the charts at # 1,000,000,004---with a BULLET, and climbing. So get yours, while supplies last.

'We love answering your cards and letters. So please SEND some'---Dean Martin...

---Me

Update:

We cleaned up the sound a lot, removed one track, and tomorrow make a few minor tweaks.

It's still on SoundClick artist: Joel Fass - Jazz Guitarist/Composer/Arranger (go to My Store in left menu) and CD Baby.

Thanks for your support...

---Me

Love the tune selection! Also, great tone on "Last Night When We Were Young".

Thanks. We did a lot of work yesterday, and it's a much better CD...

---Me

AAAAAnd....
    Another order just came in!

I'm proud of yiz.

Who'll be next? You sir, ma'am?

---Me

Update: I pulled one tune out that I didn't think was happening, and replaced it with Lennon-McCartney's Because. Triple-tracked (as was Lookin' For Another Pure Love). Man, did I slave, for over more than a year, to make a recording I could be happy with.

The final cut is now ready to send out for reviews, etc...

---Me

Update: I pulled one tune out that I didn't think was happening, and replaced it with Lennon-McCartney's Because.
    What a great choice for a tune...those harmonies!
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action?"

--Adam West, as Batman, 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    What a great choice for a tune...those harmonies!
    Very heartfelt. The voice-leading in those changes is just amazing, the way they get back to minor from major a half-step away. And I love the lyric. It's so 'everyman'. Hope I did it justice, a tall order for solo guitar w/o vocals...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 09-11-2017 at 02:44 PM.

---Me

Here is Because (also uploaded to the thread I created about the song):
    Attached Files Attached Files

---Me

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed