The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 216

User Info Menu

By the way I always wondered why this Mozart's theme is always referred to as from 'The Magic Flute'...

I can't remember it in the opera...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Or simply different preferences? I love the sound of a bent double-stop with a little bit of dirt on the amp. Try that on the piano.
    They have a thing for that now:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

Arrgh .. You beat me to it

User Info Menu

The internet has a victor, and it is you.
    Gotta watch this guy, he almost got me with that, until I remembered "vento" is "wind."

User Info Menu

And molino ​is Spanish for mill.

User Info Menu

Watch this from 25:35 and tell me Yamashita isn't the greatest interpretive genius our instrument has ever seen.

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition Orchestra with Full Score, çµ„æ›²ã€Œå±•è¦§ä¼šã®çµ µã€ã€ã‚ªãƒ¼ã‚±ã‚¹ãƒˆ ƒ©ç‰ˆã€‘ - YouTube

Btw, the score markings are Allegro con brio, feroces. I would argue he achieved that perfectly.

User Info Menu

Lol. He lost me at 0:17 with that vibrato.
    So many videos, so little time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Watch this from 25:35 and tell me Yamashita isn't the greatest interpretive genius our instrument has ever seen.

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition Orchestra with Full Score, 組曲「展覧会の絵」〠ã‚ªãƒ¼ã‚±ã‚¹ãƒˆãƒ©ç‰ˆã€‘ - YouTube

Btw, the score markings are Allegro con brio, feroces. I would argue he achieved that perfectly.
    Maybe this is the right vid. You're right he is a phenomenal player even if he's not for everyone's taste. And I have to admit that maybe classical music needs more of this type of thing. He's young and may go on to make a considerable contribution to the instrument if he hasn't already.

Last edited by mrcee; 12-27-2016 at 02:16 PM.

User Info Menu

I just checked his bio. He's not that young although he was when this video was made.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    I just checked his bio. He's not that young although he was when this video was made.

I really hope he revolutionizes pedagogy someday. Not that there is anything bad about the traditional methods.

BTW I meant to compare the video I posted with the score and orchestra, to the video you just posted. He managed to get soooooooo much of that score onto the guitar, that his knowledge and understanding of the guitar (at 23 years old) is incredible.
    Last edited by vintagelove; 12-27-2016 at 03:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Then will you agree that Jazz pianists are better musicians than Jazz guitarists?

On average of course... I agree and that was the point of posting the Art Tatum piece in the first page of this thread.

User Info Menu

Hey, I'm getting into this dude. I can hear he's a bit of an original, which I always like. You might hate his very Romantic way with Bach, but I think it sounds amazing. What a fantastic sound.

“You have to know how to be vulgar. Paint with four-letter words.” Picasso...

User Info Menu

Hey, I'm getting into this dude. I can hear he's a bit of an original, which I always like. You might hate his very Romantic way with Bach, but I think it sounds amazing. What a fantastic sound.

“You have to know how to be vulgar. Paint with four-letter words.” Picasso...

Bravo!

User Info Menu

(snip)

I'm reminded of Hal Galper's advice to keep emotion out of playing. I posted before about seeing Sly and the Family Stone when they first started. I got to sit in on their rehearsals and remember today, 50 years later, Sly in the middle of a vamp saying into the mic to Jerry Martini the tenor sax man: "Be cool Jerry... Be cool". There is such a thing as being too cool for school though. A lot of amateur and semi pro singers can be guilty of just milking the emotional element to much. Sentimentality can be a deal killer for art. Sort of like having too much fun.
    Keep emotion out like this guy?

Which is harder, high level piano or high level guitar?-gettyimages-85232805-jpg

User Info Menu

I never warmed to Metheny, don't know why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Keep emotion out like this guy?

Which is harder, high level piano or high level guitar?-gettyimages-85232805-jpg
    Yeah man, it is the JAZZ FACE!

Seriously, I think the 'keep emotion out' thing is a little misunderstood.

One of the biggest things players struggle with once they have got the basic stuff together is actually stepping back and trying not to make something happen, or else letting the music excite them too much. This is a real problem. Trying too hard, or else getting wound up by what you are doing.

It's like comedians not corpsing on stage. Comedy is technical.

If you find yourself feeling this on stage, you will be rushing. Improvisation is particularly brutal in this regard because there is absolutely nowhere to hide. A professional has to find ways of countering these problems, stepping back. Minimising emotion is a good way of dong this, counter intuitive and cold though it might sound.

On the other hand, if you play in the right zone, on a good night, without expectation, you may find emotion flowing through you music and into the audience. You don't make it, it happens. But that's certainly NOT every night.

The other thing that music find hard to stomach is that a musician might move them deeply with their music, while the performer themselves might actually be feeling something totally different. The fans want it to be a two way love affair!

I've had people come up and say how moved they are by the music I am making when all that's been going through my head is that it's not quite gelling etc. I don't mean to cheapen or discount the audiences reaction - that's wonderful and why I play. But it's not always true that everyone feels the same way. But the music isn't for me. I'd rather I feel a bit out of sorts and the audience feels transported, that's why I get paid!

But then, sometimes everyone feels the same thing.

A consummate performer like Metheny will always do the Jazz Face, although he certainly feels that he has played plenty of 'shitty gigs.' But you put the Jazz Face on anyway, because the audience doesn't want to know about the crappy on stage sound, or the mistakes that you notice which no one else does, or the fact that you didn't sleep well last night. You are for them.

But sometimes... just sometimes... The Jazz Face is genuine!
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-28-2016 at 12:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I think piano is harder. The music that the masters play is just way more complex than can be played on guitar. Mentally much more challenging.

User Info Menu

just to add my two cents: one big difference between the piano and the guitar is that with the piano one uses the fingers always the same way. If one plays classical or jazz or pop or rock or any other genre it doesn't matter, the fingers are used always the same way.
    With the guitar you have a lot of different factors. You can play with a pick, and with that you can learn the alternate picking, the palm muting, the sweep, the gipsy technique that it's a completely different thing. There's the thumb pick. There are different kind of fingerpickings. There's the slap. There are different kinds of tappings. There are a lot of different ways to play harmonics. There's the slide. There are different ways to play legato. There are those percussive techniques used by Michael Hedges and similar guitarist, there are flamenco techniques like rasgueados or alzapua. You can play with fingernails or with the finger, or with the thumb like Wes Montgomery. The chicken picking. Bendings. Alternate tunings. Slides. And, on top of that, you can still learn to master the indipendence of two hands like a piano in several different ways.
    That's why I think that the guitar is harder. I think that it's impossible to master everything. Even Yamashita can't play like Holdsworth, and Holdsworth can't play like El nino miguel, and El nino miguel can't play like Scotty Anderson, and Scotty Anderson can't play like Michael Hedges.
    While I think it's perfectly possible for a pianist to master classical and jazz and other styles, because the fingers are always used the same way (the only possible exception I can think of is when one has to pluck the strings, but I don't think it makes all that difference).

User Info Menu

Are you for burger, or for something fancy ...

VladanMovies BlogSpot

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, the "rewarding" thing, well, have you been playing guitar long? Ever tried playing the piano, even for a short time?....

Yes to both questions -- 36 years on the guitar, and piano about ten, formal lessons on both.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Most people will think that Marilyn Monroe is sexier than Ma Kettle, but I suppose you'd argue that it's "subjective" wouldn't you?

(Hint: if you answered no, then I won't need to support my "claim", if you answered yes, then there's no point arguing with you ...)

... which is just a fancy way of saying you got nothin'. Guess there's nothing else I can help you with -- cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Yes to both questions -- 36 years on the guitar, and piano about ten, formal lessons on both.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

... which is just a fancy way of saying you got nothin'. Guess there's nothing else I can help you with -- cheers.
    Yup, I guess not....

Meanwhile, for those of us left that agree that the guitar suffers a less favourable effort/reward ratio, does it ever bug you that non guitarists can never appreciate the difficulties that need to be overcome, particularly in Jazz? Personally I'm not bothered, but I get the feeling that some guitarists feel under appreciated.

The other instrument that suffers in this way seems to be the trumpet. Trumpet players I know seem to be a dour bunch, so much practice for so little improvement. I asked a friend, a seasoned pro, recently how things were going on the instrument. "Ughhhh..." he said shaking his head "It's a cross to bear..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    Point of information here (never played piano). What do you do to produce ..."in between" tones? Sound, two adjacent (half-step apart) keys at the same time?

Guitarists can bend strings, but what does a piano player do?
    Piano pedals

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Let's not forget Bud Powell.
    Probably my favorite jazz pianist. Him and Monk! I really like the stride players too like Waller and the Lion Smith!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Piano may be easier at the very beginning (no problems with sound production vizualization and all) ... especially with kids: just press the button and it sounds...

But after this beginning level it's the same sh't for every instrument...

Gould is by far on the other level But not beacuse he played piano...
    Why Perlman? Heiftz is way more the violin virtuoso!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Ive played classical guitar and piano both at a high level, it's not even close.

Start here with this seemingly silly thing. The piano does not move. A guitar does. It's much harder to hit a moving target. End here 10 fingers vs 4.

Ive literally had a professor in music school who played everything (all strings, all brass, etc) say.

"You play classical guitar? I tried to play that, it's too freaking hard!!!..... and how do you read on that thing anyway?"

Lastly, how many child virtuoso piano players are there (playing Bach Mozart etc)? Countless
    How many child virtuoso classical guitar players are there? A handful?
    That's a very interesting point!