Jazz Guitar

Forum Sponsors

+ Reply to Thread

Learning and memorizing tunes. Help!

Does anyone have any tips on how to become faster memorizers? I have a huge problem with memorizing the melody and chord progression of a song. I play and improvise much better with my head out of the chart, and the crutch is starting irritate!

For the melody, learning it by ear (or at least making a reasonable attempt before consulting a leadsheet) is the way to go. It's really not that hard on most tunes. Leadsheets are wrong sometimes - I just experienced that last night on Lester Young's Symphony For Sid (which is really easy to learn). Then play in a few different positions. Do that few days in a row and you're set.

For the chords, a little analysis goes a long way...such as "Ok, the first 4 bars are simply a I-vi-ii-V and then at bar 5 the V switches to minor for a short ii-V-I and then...and then the bridge consists of a long ii-V-I in F and then again in Eb and finally ends on a dominant to create tension back to the I...". If you think of it that way and comp through it in a few different positions in at least 2 keys, it becomes hard to forget the progression, actually. Also, teaching someone the tune pays huge dividends.

You're definitely doing the right thing by getting away from the sheets.

This is a great article, and a great site! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by baerashbrewer View Post
    This is a great article, and a great site! Thanks!
    Yes, there is lots of excellent content at that site.

Toones Jason Palmer's Weblog

Jason Palmer is the real deal...

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1