Jazz Guitar

Forum Sponsors

+ Reply to Thread

What exactly does "Shedding" mean?

So I hear musicians sometimes say that they are "shedding" what exactly does that mean?

I've heard it in the context of like a facebook status, "Oh im just shedding" and then also in the context of like "Just shedding for the right tone" so i'm just curious what exactly this means? LOL

Like at first i thought it meant just jamming, but then i was like hmmm...maybe not...

shedding = practice
    Jake Hanlon - Jazz Guitarist, Composer and Educator
    Website - Buy Music - Youtube - STFXU - Thomastik-Infeld

lol thanks.

Shed, or shedding is a take off on the word 'Woodshed'

Woodshed:
    Slang - to practice on a musical instrument so as to improve or perfect one's technical facility, develop ideas, etc.: said esp. of a jazz or rock musician
    Origin: ? from the notion that an isolated woodshed is fit for practicing
    Last edited by fep; 06-25-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Maybe storing your 'axe' in the 'woodshed' is a good thing to do.

Believe it or not, that's painful for some of us. My mother, heaven rest her soul, was from a farm in Pennsylvania, and more than once referred to disciplining as "gong to the woodshed." And on the very rare occasions that happened, a large leather strap would accompany such a statement. It stopped fairly early but I still wince whenever I hear the terms. And I can vouch very firmly that that type of "woodshedding" would NOT help my playing skills, especially seated...

Ouch!!! But-it made you a better person, I think? Much better than sitting on the naughty step?
    We never had the strap (although Dad often got his belt off-just the sight of him doing that turned us into instant angels for a week- my Dad was a VERY strong man!!)- Mam got the wooden spoon. One little whoop of that REALLY stung. If it didn't work, Mam would say she'd tell Dad-and that'd be enough. He Never hit us-the threat of it was enough!

I remember hearing that you go to the woodshed with your axe to practice your chops. On Saturday night, you'd go to the Woodchopper's Ball. (the regular gig)

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1