Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bach For Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    Wait, he is hybrid picking this piece. I've never seen a classical piece performed this way.
    Hybrid picking reduces your most dexterous 2 fingers into 1, effectively giving up your index finger in fingerstyle playing. It works well for chord melody because you very often alternate chords and single lines. But I would think it would be quite detrimental in classical arrangements.
    I mean typically thumb is like pianists right hand and the other three are the more demanding right hand (in classical guitar). So you do need your index finger to help out the treble side most of the time.
    Does this work well here because Bach counterpoint demands just as much work for the bass line as the melody line?
    I think the point is noy playing Bach for performance sake but as a means to elevate the music you actually play. He plays contrapuntal jazz. He plays with hybrid techinique. So it makes sense to work on other music with that technique because it informs the music he plays as his bread and butter.

Also it sounds pretty good.

I just bought his dvd on jazz guitar counterpoint. It’s pretty excellent. Part of it deals with playing Bach in this manner.

You should check out his playing Stella on YouTube. He practices what he preaches.

There’s also a cool video of him talking about the pedals he uses on reverb.com. It’s pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    Wait, he is hybrid picking this piece. I've never seen a classical piece performed this way.
    Hybrid picking reduces your most dexterous 2 fingers into 1, effectively giving up your index finger in fingerstyle playing. It works well for chord melody because you very often alternate chords and single lines. But I would think it would be quite detrimental in classical arrangements.
    I mean typically thumb is like pianists right hand and the other three are the more demanding right hand (in classical guitar). So you do need your index finger to help out the treble side most of the time.
    Does this work well here because Bach counterpoint demands just as much work for the bass line as the melody line?
    I think Gilad is effectively using the Bach as an etude for his hybrid picking technique which he uses to play two part counterpoint ideas in his jazz playing.

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    I think the point is noy playing Bach for performance sake but as a means to elevate the music you actually play.
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    I think Gilad is effectively using the Bach as an etude for his hybrid picking technique which he uses to play two part counterpoint ideas in his jazz playing.
    I see. Makes sense. It sounds pretty good in it's own right even just as a classical performance.

I think the point is noy playing Bach for performance sake but as a means to elevate the music you actually play. He plays contrapuntal jazz. He plays with hybrid techinique. So it makes sense to work on other music with that technique because it informs the music he plays as his bread and butter.
    he uses Bach as technical study ib clean contrapunctal voice leading (which I personally do not like because he does not play the piece actually... just voices and I cannot abstract it from the musical contents - but it's up to him)

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed