Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Games Composing

Games Composing

Anybody here ever composed for / know somebody who’s composed for videogames? I’ve always thought that that would be pretty fun composing work.
    - Nova Comedy

HTML Code:
    <object width="1000" height="400"><param name="movie" value="http://www.buttonbass.com/images/bbguitar.swf"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><embed src="http://www.buttonbass.com/images/bbguitar.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="1000" height="400"></embed></object><br><a href="http://www.buttonbass.com">buttonbass.com</a>

Nile Rodgers. So much money involved that it is the realm of heavyweights.

Avi Bortnick on GTA IV - whatever that is.
    Have no secrets, hear no lies.

Quote Originally Posted by newsense View Post
    Avi Bortnick on GTA IV - whatever that is.
    GTA is a lot like a jam session, only instead of shooting bebop at other players with your guitar, you shoot bullets at civilians with a gun.
    Just the way you would gun down any moldy figs with your modern lines copped note-for-note from the hippest players, in GTA you can also shoot at cops chasing you for stealing a car.

I was once asked to do some music(simple 8-bit stuff) for somebody's app - but it was a friend of mine. Ultimately it fell through because the co-creator was also into music and wanted his own stuff on the app. I asked my friend how they find musicians - there's courses in these video game development places for musicians and you get a degree in video game music plus connections.

I didn't do much, but it was pretty fun. But yeah to get that initial foot in, you need to know a developer. After that I suppose your work speaks for itself. Also, if you're talking about the big companies, they have their own musicians on payroll. You don't stand a chance without years of experience.
    Last edited by pushkar000; 11-14-2017 at 03:18 AM.
    Need to practice!

Hit Youtube there are a lot of videos on writing music for video games. Pretty competitive business.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by pushkar000 View Post
    GTA is a lot like a jam session, only instead of shooting bebop at other players with your guitar, you shoot bullets at civilians with a gun.
    As a wannabe old fogey, I was only pretending not to know what GTA is. I have a 21 year old son who played it during his later adolescent years. However, the game soundtrack that gave us both the most fun a few years earlier was that for Transport Tycoon:

I still find myself including some of the licks from "Little Red Diesel" in blues improv sessions !
    Have no secrets, hear no lies.

Quote Originally Posted by newsense View Post
    As a wannabe old fogey, I was only pretending not to know what GTA is. I have a 21 year old son who played it during his later adolescent years. However, the game soundtrack that gave us both the most fun a few years earlier was that for Transport Tycoon:

I still find myself including some of the licks from "Little Red Diesel" in blues improv sessions !
    Some of this stuff is really good!! I think I might also find myself spilling out a couple of these at my local jam tomorrow.

On another note, its nice hearing a story about father and son bonding in the tech era.
    Need to practice!

8. If you've listened to music and play games in an analytic way, games composing would be as easy as 1 2 3. Composing for games is more challenging than any other media composing but anyone eager could done the bulk.

Not being familiar with music for videogames, I briefly checked out some examples on youtube and all I heard was basically a clichéd mish-mash of Pirates of the Caribean, The Rock (Sean Connery) and Carmina Burana. I'm not feeling the fun in playing around with "big" (sampled) sounds with little in the way of composition going on. Yes, I know there are worse things in life.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed