Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    I've no idea what this is although it's fairly interesting. And bleak. God knows why it's called Scarborough either, I've never been there. Nothing to do with the Fair anyway. More dark than fair :-)

It's 32 bars long but formless. The repetitions give it apparent form but there's actually no pattern. It's in Em, of course, but it had to be in something. Nor do I know what style it's in. Acoustic, folk, blues, jazz, country? No idea.

There are some finger slips etc but don't let it worry you

Incidentally, don't think Scarborough's some horrible place, it's not. It's a popular and attractive seaside resort!

scarborough - Bing images

Well, after a sort of splurge this thread has almost died. It doesn't look as though we're writing stuff any more. But I got the urge to do something the other day (or night). It's called Am I Sad? ... but not really, it's just a tune :-)

Thank you, citizen74. There is life after all!

Still haven't listened, but you should change the title to "Dm, I Sad", or I will make contrafact, one day, by that name.

Sent from VladanMovies @ YouTube

"Dm, I Sad"

I don't quite understand that one. Do you mean 'Damn, I'm sad?'! You don't mean 'D minor, I'm sad' presumably.

I wasn't sad at all, of course. I just listened to it back and that title popped into my head. So I kept it.

What's all this about not even listening to it, having no guitar, etc etc? You in jail or something??!!

Wiki:
    Nigel Tufnel, one of the members of the musical spoof megagroup Spinal Tap, speaks of "a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why."
    Now when I listened to it, I can say I'm not in jail.
    It was the moment I saw Am ..., I thought no, not Am, Dm is the sad one.
    Last edited by Vladan; 07-29-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    Wiki:

Now when I listened to it, I can say I'm not in jail.
    It was the moment I saw Am ..., I thought no, not Am, Dm is the sad one.
    Right, I get it. It's obscure, but I get it :-)

Tufnel's tune may have been sad and in Dm, but the song's working title was....

First post, a little scared...

I'm sure I'm breaking all sorts of protocols by posting this; style-wise, sound-wise, recording-quality wise, but here goes. More funk than jazz, more jazz than rock, welcome to my weird musical brain. Also not sure if the file is attaching...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Heres one I've been working on for a while...pardon the extreme reverb

Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action?"

--Adam West, as Batman, 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking View Post
    I'm sure I'm breaking all sorts of protocols by posting this; style-wise, sound-wise, recording-quality wise, but here goes. More funk than jazz, more jazz than rock, welcome to my weird musical brain. Also not sure if the file is attaching...

Can you host on Sound cloud or do a YouTube thing? Folks are generally wary of downloading stuff here.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Can you host on Sound cloud or do a YouTube thing? Folks are generally wary of downloading stuff here.
    Right! Rookie move, sorry.

Maybe this is better?

Egeria by Paul Strom | ReverbNation

I'm sure I'm breaking all sorts of protocols by posting this; style-wise, sound-wise, recording-quality wise, but here goes.
    You're not doing any such thing. It's an open jazz forum and this thread is for your own compositions. Of course, if you don't want to mix with the riff-raff* there's always the SHOWCASE thread for world-class level jazz players... or even better than that!

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    You're not doing any such thing. It's an open jazz forum and this thread is for your own compositions. Of course, if you don't want to mix with the riff-raff* there's always the SHOWCASE thread for world-class level jazz players... or even better than that!
    The riff-raff are my tribe!

You are duly pardoned.

Actually I really liked that. I wasn't sure at first then, as it went on, I began to enjoy it; it kind of floated along and took you with it. It's subtle, it may have repetitions but it wasn't repetitive. Clever - but I'd expect that from you anyway. So there.

Btw, as we're here, I've been meaning to ask you if you'd have a go at Caravan sometime. I want to see what you make of it. I think it's tricky but you might make mincemeat of it, I don't know

The riff-raff are my tribe!
    Tribal music is all about us, take my word :-)

I made a soundcloud page, hopefully this is easier...

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    You are duly pardoned.

Actually I really liked that. I wasn't sure at first then, as it went on, I began to enjoy it; it kind of floated along and took you with it. It's subtle, it may have repetitions but it wasn't repetitive. Clever - but I'd expect that from you anyway. So there.

Btw, as we're here, I've been meaning to ask you if you'd have a go at Caravan sometime. I want to see what you make of it. I think it's tricky but you might make mincemeat of it, I don't know
    Man, I've beer trying for a month...I can't get anywhere with it. I even put it in E...F/E...E7b9...went all Spanish...

How can a song with such a cool A section have the corniest B section ever?
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

I made a soundcloud page, hopefully this is easier...

Man, I love it! It's jazzy, it's fusiony, it reminds me a little of Phish (from me, that's a compliment)...very cool knotty little tune.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

Man, I've beer trying for a month
    Is that one of those Freudian slips? :-)

But seriously... it's not entirely un-Bossa given the 7b5s and 69s but when you start improvising it doesn't come over that way, it's more modern/avant-gard. It's like it has that bossa flavour but isn't held by it. Which is good, I think, because it means you're not thinking rigidly within a certain style or format.

I didn't mind at all that the A and B flowed into each other. It was less obvious than 'That was A, now this is B'.

I think only once did my ears prick up. At 2.15 you hit an obvious dom7 sound which, up till then, wasn't that audible. Maybe that was a bit corny in the total context, but that's all.

No, I liked it, and I liked the improv a lot too. Lifted it out of the realm of the ordinary. It's a good tune. Needs a name :-)

I think Mr. B was referring to Caravan, not his tune here.

Yes, Caravan. Can't get that one rolling, "beer trying" or not

Right now, I like my tune. It needs a name...it's pretty representative of how I'm hearing things now...simple melodies with interesting chords.

I'm working on a tune now that repeats the same 4 bar melody 4 times, but harmonizes it differently each pass through...I'll post that one as soon as I figure out how I'm getting back to the top
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

Enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing! The reverb is just right

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee View Post
    I think Mr. B was referring to Caravan, not his tune here.
    Thank you, fuzz, on the ball as always. I must be a bit dozy these days. I put it down to doing Caravan too much.

Okay...

Yes, Caravan. Can't get that one rolling, "beer trying" or not
    You're not the only one. I keep saying it's tricky.

How can a song with such a cool A section have the corniest B section ever?
    Well, that's the thing. Given the extended exotic verse what do you do over the bridge? If that had been 'Arabic' too it wouldn't have been a jazz tune. Not properly anyway.

So they had to think of something else. And I think it's really clever. The chords are dom7s and they played that 6th sound over them. Sounds open, like the desert at night when you're resting and looking up at the stars... That's the way I see it and I like it!

Right now, I like my tune. It needs a name...it's pretty representative of how I'm hearing things now...simple melodies with interesting chords.
    I still like it. Even if it's not Caravan

I'm working on a tune now that repeats the same 4 bar melody 4 times, but harmonizes it differently each pass through...I'll post that one as soon as I figure out how I'm getting back to the top
    Looking forward to that.

As you know, I like to go wacky now and again, it satisfies something in me. Maybe I'd go nuts if I didn't do it

Not wishing summer away but I did this and realised it sounded wintery, so it's called Frost. Sorry about that

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed