The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Interesting stuff Joe, I think there is something on page 14 of Alan's book about this, but I haven't really looked at this aspect in depth until now.

Looking again at the book and what you say, the application is that on a G7 resolving to C, you can get some movement by potentially using any of these Dom7 'chord scales':
    G7/dim
    Bb7/dim
    Db7/dim
    E7/dim

or these Dom7b5 scales:
    G7b5/dim
    Bb7b5/dim
    Db7b5/dim
    E7b5/dim

I was trying some of these out last night, e.g. start from a Dmin chord then go into some of the above, then come out on a C chord. Interesting sounds, I will investigate further!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

right, and notice that the G7b5 is same as Db7b5, and the other two match as well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    I got it and watched most of the videos. It's an OK course. Fareed Haque's course covers much of the same ground. If you're really dissatisfied with your comping and are looking for a direction, this would be a good start.

It's basically the "start with shell voicings, and add extensions on top" method.
    I have been enjoying using both courses together. Stewart gives you voicings and the has playing examples at the end. Fareed's course gives playing examples virtually after every new concept is taught. Either way, you have plenty of playing examples to hear and apply.

I remember years ago, Ol' Cosmic Gumbo emphasized in a thread how important it is to be able to "build" chords. This course, if seen through, should get one there.

So far so good, but I am getting once I start adding two tensions, it will be start to get difficult to juggle.

User Info Menu

I may have complained about the TrueFire .pdf charts and other instructional materals, but with this course, I have to retract my rant. The .pdf charts are very accurate so far and the course has so many of the elements that we have discussed on this forum through the years.

This course will make you a competent "comper," and Stewart seems to be reading my mind with his instructions. I am more and more impressed with each segment of instruction.

Just my opinion and I do not want to take any due credit away from this course. It is crammed with good info and progresses nicely.

User Info Menu

I've been working on Frank Potenza's TruefireJazz harmony course and it has opened a lot of doors for me. I have Fareed Haque's Comping course but never really got into it like the Potenza course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Question is, can we learn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If you're going to make smug comments and wait for someone else to do everything for you, then no, you probably can't learn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    If you're going to make smug comments and wait for someone else to do everything for you, then no, you probably can't learn.
    What do you mean by that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I, too have noticed some obvious disconnect between TrueFire Tabs and the videos. I have been under the impression, and maybe I'm totally off base here, that they use a computer program to generate the tabs and the mistakes happen when someone doesn't proof them properly. I just saw this in a Frank Vignola riff and the mistake is obvious.
    But I will say
    1) They do respond and take action if you bring a mistake to their attention
    2) There aren't that many mistakes and any player who is at least intermediate level should be able to spot them and correct them easily.
    3) Because you can buy a year's all access to the site during of of their many sales for $99, I still consider TrueFire a real bargain for learning material, I feel I really get my money's worth.

User Info Menu

It boggles my mind when I see comments complaining about a $30 expenditure for this type of material!
    BTW... I bought it today, for $15.95.

I've paid significantly more than that for a single lesson.
    I have only watched the first few segments and already feel that I've gotten my moneys worth.
    Bonus, I can watch it at my leisure, any time I want.

Nothing is more rewarding, to me, than to spend an hour or two, listening to an experienced player sharing their knowledge.
    I look forward to it everyday after work.

For me, this is a golden age of information/education.
    I only wish I had a video of the master classes I was fortunate to attend in my younger days.

Now, we have Truefire, Mikes Master Classes, My Music Masterclass, chordmelody.com, hell, even youtube!
    I'd pay $16 a month for Aimee Nolte alone!

Take advantage of these resources, while they are available!

Obligatory IMHO YMMV etc...

Cheers, Ron

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    It boggles my mind when I see comments complaining about a $30 expenditure for this type of material!
    BTW... I bought it today, for $15.95.

I've paid significantly more than that for a single lesson.
    I have only watched the first few segments and already feel that I've gotten my moneys worth.
    Bonus, I can watch it at my leisure, any time I want.

Nothing is more rewarding, to me, than to spend an hour or two, listening to an experienced player sharing their knowledge.
    I look forward to it everyday after work.

For me, this is a golden age of information/education.
    I only wish I had a video of the master classes I was fortunate to attend in my younger days.

Now, we have Truefire, Mikes Master Classes, My Music Masterclass, chordmelody.com, hell, even youtube!
    I'd pay $16 a month for Aimee Nolte alone!

Take advantage of these resources, while they are available!

Obligatory IMHO YMMV etc...

Cheers, Ron
    Don't be mindboggled, my friend. Most of us love the instruction, but if you are going to give us a .pdf, let the excellence continue with that as well. Don't you want that elusive "total package?" Heck, I will pay a couple of bucks more for that to be accurate and complete. (This course seems to have excellent .pdfs so far).

But I agree that many if not most of these courses are absolutely great values! That is why I have around 15 of them on DVD and downloaded. Overall, the .pdfs are functional to excellent.

User Info Menu

AlsoRan. I hear ya.
    Have you contacted Truefire or the instructors about the issue? I've found them to be very responsive.

15. Uh, so you're a newbie?
    Kidding Bro!

User Info Menu

Have been trying to have guitar lessons for 3 years. In that period I have had 2 (one with a guitarist one with a bass player). I have spent more time looking for teachers than the actual lessons, both were amazing but there is just nobody in my city doing them, even though jazz is huge.

Truefire is fantastic value and super quality, IMO.

There is another school starting elitemusicmentor which I am sure will be over my head but as a jazz fan I will be on it. It has all the young dudes from NYC - Aaron Parks, Colin Stranahan, Seamus Blake, Lage Lund, Mike Moreno etc etc.

But I must stay focused on those Mimi Fox true fire lessons, man they are so good and that new one I am trying to stay away from, I think the dudes name is Johnson, am really finding the benefit of avoiding overload and focusing my efforts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    AlsoRan. I hear ya.
    Have you contacted Truefire or the instructors about the issue? I've found them to be very responsive.

15. Uh, so you're a newbie?
    Kidding Bro!
    Now you have me ashamed of myself because you and others are right, when I find an error, I should contact TrueFire and let them know. Some companies depend of feedback from the customer.

But yeah, 15 courses and I still suck! But not because their courses weren't helpful, that's for sure.