The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

I'm trying to get better at comping and just looking for some good examples. I mean, there are many out there, but who do you think excels at comping? Guitar, piano, heck even vibes, doesn't matter to me. Maybe also say a recording that exemplifies what you like about their comping?
    Last edited by BryBry; 05-07-2016 at 07:13 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ed Bickert and Hank Jones.

User Info Menu

Jim hall, bill evans, herbie hancock

User Info Menu

the king of comp..pretty much all he ever did!!

the great freddie green...(on a gretsch!)

Who is your favourite jazz guitar comper?-1959-gretsch-ad-png

cheers

User Info Menu

Can you guys post an example of a recording as well?

User Info Menu

There are different kinds of comping. For four-to-the-bar stuff, Freddie Green was the king.

Here is a taste of Herb Ellis comping for Oscar Peterson on Wes Montgomery's "Naptown Blues." Herb's solo has a comping chorus but the real heat comes when he's comping for Oscar during the piano solo. Six-seven choruses. Good stuff.

User Info Menu

Yes!

User Info Menu

One record that kind of defined comping for me is The Touch Of Your Lips by Chet Baker trio... Doug Rainey was the guitarist. I' m sure there are other great players out there who are really great at it, but I just took that record as a role model. I'm not really good at modern comping, where you are not part of the engine so to speak, but more like interacting with whoever is soloing. But if I have to do it, Doug is my man. Otherwise, Django or Charlie Christian, or whoever played rhythm on those records is like home to me.

User Info Menu

check this count basie boogie

freddie g compin..the great wardell gray on tenor, buddy defranco on clarinet and clark terry -trumpet..what a band!!

cheers

User Info Menu

man you can see bickert had that tele refretted with some big A frets!!...what a great..

best thing is, pickin close to the neck like that..and with knobs rolled back a tad.. almost any tele can sound like that!!...

tele jazz

cheers

User Info Menu

The fact Herbie can hang with that band with OP out front says volumes about his talent...

User Info Menu

One good Oscar Peterson song deserves another - OP trio with Joe Pass. Joe playing the hell outa that D'Aquisto - who dares say he doesn't have great tone??

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I live close to Toronto so Ed Bickert's a big influence on a bunch of people here, but I actually haven't checked him out much. I love how every chord is placed so purposefully and perfectly in the pocket. Also gonna listen to all the other suggestions too .

User Info Menu

Yeah I think Freddie Green was the king of comping - what a groove! He holds and picks his guitar uniquely, doesn't he?

Like most guitarists I really wish he were brought up much more in the mix. If only he had gone electric...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Yeah I think Freddie Green was the king of comping - what a groove! He holds and picks his guitar uniquely, doesn't he?

Like most guitarists I really wish he were brought up much more in the mix. If only he had gone electric...
    I've heard that freddie green comp was not supposed to be heard but felt.

User Info Menu

Stephane Grapelli with Martin Taylor and Louis Stewart:

Practically a master class in accompaniment.

User Info Menu

If you dig Bickert, check out Lorne Lofsky.

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 05-07-2016 at 09:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Guitar:

Ed Bickert, Jim Hall, Lage Lund, Peter Bernstein

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    The fact Herbie can hang with that band with OP out front says volumes about his talent...
    You're right, Doctor Jeff. Oscar liked to play fast (and for a long time). Keeping up was no mean feat. There's a story in the Barney Kessel bio of his (BK's) first night with the trio, how he soared. Afterward, Ray Brown goaded Oscar for letting the guitarist run over him. The next night, Oscar kept Barney on a short leash. It was Oscar's band and he didn't let his guitarists forget that. But he gave them chances to shine.

Herb wound up doing a lot with Ray Brown over the years. Here's Ray with Herb and Freddie Green:

User Info Menu

Another guitar fave who never gets talked about: Ray Crawford.

User Info Menu

I can see the influence in Lorne's playing and while he's obviously excellent I'm not a huge fan. I've seen him live once, just a little too out for me + I like a brighter tone then what he does.

destinytot Guest
    Kirk Lightsey on piano:

User Info Menu

Bucky pizzarelli

User Info Menu

John Pizzarelli doing "Route 66". Good swing comping while he's singing and a fun solo. (Notice the phrases that come from Wardell Grey's "Twisted"----I'm including a version of that below for comparison.)

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 05-08-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: grammar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    Bucky pizzarelli
    Bucky is a master. I posted this before but people may see it here who didn't see it there. Runs just under 16 minutes with several fine performances, and a classic story about playing "Pick Yourself Up" with George Barnes at a funeral.)