The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 199

User Info Menu

yeah i might have to lower the whole thing before raising the one pole, is that what you mean? i’m really green with this stuff

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Well I've been working at chord-melody for over 25 years, and I have learned how to "cobble" an arrangement from a lead sheet using the harmonized scale and basic chord grips. The kind of stuff you find in Conti's "Chord Melody Assembly Line" or in my case the old Mel Bay Guitar Melody Chord Playing System which I actually started on when I was about 14 years old! That book nearly killed me but got me grounded in the concept of the harmonized scale for playing melodies.

My problem is developing ideas, fills, breaking out of the standard fingerings, etc. I can do a "meh" treatment of almost any tune rather quickly, but it's a long way from there to having something really compelling.

Last year some guy who is now banned literally DARED me to take a tune he proposed and go from zero to chord-melody in a week or something like that. He proposed "Alfie" a song I loathe, but I did it. It was a very weird interaction. Matt remembers it because he did one as well if I recall.

Anyhow, in breaking out there are some things I also don't enjoy. I don't like these impossible stretchy fingerings, I don't like altered tunings, I prefer more of a 70% "concept" arrangement rather than something worked out note for note. Those make me feel like I'm doing a recital, not playing jazz. I do like the way Joe Pass did it, Barney Kessel, and even Jimmy Raney when he decided to do a solo tune.

Don't know why I decided to drone on about this...
    A guy got himself banned here? That's hilarious. He sounds like a great guy

It's funny you loathe Alfie because that's always been one of my favorite tunes! I actually like a lot of the Bacharach tunes although they can get a little hokey sometimes. I think I like his melodies. However, Alfie never really repeats, does it? It just keeps going and going! I do play that song and have spent a lot of time on it. I initially based my arrangement on one published by some online group called "jazz monkeys" which was in tab and not notation, but I'm sure mine has changed into something totally different.

You definitely have the skills and talent to create a nice arrangement in a matter of minutes. I do take longer to get something under my fingers. And to get the song to a place I really like it takes a long time going over and over it. So in the end mine do end up more recital pieces I guess. It's one reason my primary criterion for trying a song is I have to love it. There are some standards I know I'm supposed to know, but I'd have no interest in hearing myself (or anyone else for that matter) play them. I have some songs in my repertoire that I have worked on and can play decently (for me), but which I really can't stand hearing. That's a drag! I still make myself play them to keep them under my fingers.

Sorry I'm rambling!!

User Info Menu

it’s funny that guy got brought up. he had like one video on youtube and it was him playing and singing Shadow of your Smile, and it was literally one of the worst things I’ve ever heard. It was my first exposure to the tune, so it was all i could think about when i heard we’re going to do that tune. I’ll have to do a lot of listening to get that out of my head

btw i dont rag on people just to bash them, especially when they’re not here— i just thought the timing was funny

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    it’s funny that guy got brought up. he had like one video on youtube and it was him playing and singing Shadow of your Smile, and it was literally one of the worst things I’ve ever heard. It was my first exposure to the tune, so it was all i could think about when i heard we’re going to do that tune. I’ll have to do a lot of listening to get that out of my head

btw i dont rag on people just to bash them, especially when they’re not here— i just thought the timing was funny
    Yes the guy would lecture us forever about his amazing classical training and knowledge, we'd urge him to post something and he'd get angry and basically had one huge outburst that got him banned. Snuck back on with a new ID but they found out and re-banned him.

Shadow of your Smile is a wonderful piece, kind of the next step from Autumn Leaves if you want to work on a minor tune. It can be a ballad, a latin, a light swing tune, and I know one guy plays it as a straight ahead bop tune, so it covers the bases. It's also a good tune to trying out licks and phrases.

But yeah, you'll have to get that one version out of your head... hard to un-hear...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    A guy got himself banned here? That's hilarious. He sounds like a great guy

It's funny you loathe Alfie because that's always been one of my favorite tunes! I actually like a lot of the Bacharach tunes although they can get a little hokey sometimes. I think I like his melodies. However, Alfie never really repeats, does it? It just keeps going and going! I do play that song and have spent a lot of time on it. I initially based my arrangement on one published by some online group called "jazz monkeys" which was in tab and not notation, but I'm sure mine has changed into something totally different.

You definitely have the skills and talent to create a nice arrangement in a matter of minutes. I do take longer to get something under my fingers. And to get the song to a place I really like it takes a long time going over and over it. So in the end mine do end up more recital pieces I guess. It's one reason my primary criterion for trying a song is I have to love it. There are some standards I know I'm supposed to know, but I'd have no interest in hearing myself (or anyone else for that matter) play them. I have some songs in my repertoire that I have worked on and can play decently (for me), but which I really can't stand hearing. That's a drag! I still make myself play them to keep them under my fingers.

Sorry I'm rambling!!
    One problem with "Alfie" for me is the words. I just can't wash the words out of my brain, and they are some of the most awful lyrics ever composed. the entire failed philosophy of a washed-out generation put into bad poetry set to a monotonous and erratic melody... oh well...

Thanks for the complement on doing the arrangements. I actually think that banging together a basic CM setting for a tune is what pianists do all the time. "Faking" originally mean taking a melody line and chord changes and improvising an on-the-fly arrangement. I saw pianists doing that all the time and thought "Why can't guitarists do that?" So that was one of my goals, to do a basic chords-to-melody match that could be played in fairly short order. I was actually a lot better at it about 15 years ago than I am now. the years have been cruel!

Ditto on songs we like. I will simply not try to play a song I dislike. Life's too short, and there are too many songs I do like to waste time on the ones I don't.

User Info Menu

Wow...I think Alfie''s words aren't bad, and the melody is brilliant! That bridge!

User Info Menu

I remember that guy and situation. He was maybe an extreme case of a phenomenon that pops up regularly (i.e., someone who puffs himself up as an authority and great player, but turns out to be a weak player). In can usually spot them before it reaches the point of a clips stand-off.

John

User Info Menu

One problem with "Alfie" for me is the words. I just can't wash the words out of my brain, and they are some of the most awful lyrics ever composed. the entire failed philosophy of a washed-out generation put into bad poetry set to a monotonous and erratic melody... oh well...

Thanks for the complement on doing the arrangements. I actually think that banging together a basic CM setting for a tune is what pianists do all the time. "Faking" originally mean taking a melody line and chord changes and improvising an on-the-fly arrangement. I saw pianists doing that all the time and thought "Why can't guitarists do that?" So that was one of my goals, to do a basic chords-to-melody match that could be played in fairly short order. I was actually a lot better at it about 15 years ago than I am now. the years have been cruel!

Ditto on songs we like. I will simply not try to play a song I dislike. Life's too short, and there are too many songs I do like to waste time on the ones I don't.
    That's not the way I see Alfie at all. I see it as as a recapitulation of the film and about the title character narrowly, not any sort of larger generational or cultural theme. It's structured like a movie - its sections are more like acts than AABA song elements. The lyrics are the arc of the film's plot and Alfie's journey to understanding his own selfishness and abuse of "love." I think it's a brilliant song, but very difficult to play period, to condense and into a solo instrumental, or to translate into a vehicle for improv.

Well I've been working at chord-melody for over 25 years, and I have learned how to "cobble" an arrangement from a lead sheet using the harmonized scale and basic chord grips. The kind of stuff you find in Conti's "Chord Melody Assembly Line" or in my case the old Mel Bay Guitar Melody Chord Playing System which I actually started on when I was about 14 years old! That book nearly killed me but got me grounded in the concept of the harmonized scale for playing melodies.

My problem is developing ideas, fills, breaking out of the standard fingerings, etc. I can do a "meh" treatment of almost any tune rather quickly, but it's a long way from there to having something really compelling.

Last year some guy who is now banned literally DARED me to take a tune he proposed and go from zero to chord-melody in a week or something like that. He proposed "Alfie" a song I loathe, but I did it. It was a very weird interaction. Matt remembers it because he did one as well if I recall.

Anyhow, in breaking out there are some things I also don't enjoy. I don't like these impossible stretchy fingerings, I don't like altered tunings, I prefer more of a 70% "concept" arrangement rather than something worked out note for note. Those make me feel like I'm doing a recital, not playing jazz. I do like the way Joe Pass did it, Barney Kessel, and even Jimmy Raney when he decided to do a solo tune.

Don't know why I decided to drone on about this...
    Yeah. I don't have much attention span for developing ornate arrangements with big voicing honestly. I've basically worked on being able to play things quickly from a lead sheet over memorizing and developing better arrangements. I've learned a lot from playing hundreds of tunes that way , and it's given me a different time/phrasing feel than I otherwise would have gotten I guess , but it's definitely hurt me in the voicings department. Nothing real exciting there.

Developing better voicing vocabulary is definitely on my list, but I keep inserting other things which I'm more interested in. In the last couple of years, it's been the pursuit of trying to comp for myself while soloing a chorus. In the process, I kind of have gotten sidetracked with trying to learn to improvise more generally. That was definitely my weak spot. A few years ago, I was basically just a single-chorus basic chord melody player. Now, maybe more of a chorus and a half... :-) but now I can actually see that being able to improvise something decent is an attainable future goal. Strange to be going there from CM starting point. Never know where this music will take you.

Alfie was fun...

User Info Menu

"Alfie" a monotonous and erratic melody... oh well...
    Let Bill fix this.

User Info Menu

So I've been playing around with the tune a bit today, slowing it down and while I still don't feel "fluent" with playing through the tune, I have more of a "nice" arrangement roughed out. Sorry to bother you with "in progress" clips, but I'm starting late on this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    As I'm the bee's knees (according to you!)
    Don't put words in my mouth. ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Don't put words in my mouth. ;-)
    Well, that lets you off the hook :-)

I did it very quickly. That second Csus needs looking at

User Info Menu

@Ragman--not that my point of view as a beginner-knows-nothing-at-all bears any meaning here--but I like your CM playing much more than your single line stuff! You made a beautiful version, nice feeling and sounds perfectly adequate to your instrument. Your single line stuff in the PS threads for me isn't a blast, and with regard to the instrument's sound it always feels a bit off. CM seems to be your core competence!

So I wonder why you asked that question at the beginning of your video? I would like to hear more CM from you...

Robert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diminix
    CM seems to be your core competence!
    I've no idea why, unless others prefer the way it sounds. I can promise you that it's not my preferred thing at all. It's quite fun to work out but I can never remember what I just played. In fact, the reason I prefer single-string is that I don't have to remember. And I'm certainly not good enough to play CM on the fly.

So, if I write it down I have to look at paper - which is death to playing. I hate that, peering myopically at something and trying to play it. Useless.

But it's worse than that. Even if I do get some kind of version in my head, as I'm doing it I immediately think of other ways to do it. The moment you do that you freeze or completely mess it up... and that's the end of that performance. So you start again and the same thing happens. It's torture!

There's nothing wrong with my memory, by the way, it works fine, but for creative endeavours it gets in the way. I'm absolutely no rote player.

I know there's no magic answer to it, and I'm not sure I want there to be. Ideally, I need to be a perfect copying machine. It would be wonderful!

User Info Menu

I prefer also Rag's chord melody style without any improvisation.

Anyway my favorite Marin Taylor is one of the best in fingersyle jazz guitar and he can do everything.

User Info Menu

As I'm the bee's knees (according to you!) I thought I'd change keys and put it in C. Just the head. It's a video and I've put in performance notes in case anybody's interested.

Joe - you might like to spot the various subs that derive from your dim/dom idea - just to show I was paying attention :-)
    That was really nice Ragman. I love acoustics. I grew up on them and they will always be my first love!!

And this was really nice to listen to. I also like your notations in the video. That's a very nice addition to these threads! Really nice job!

User Info Menu

So I've been playing around with the tune a bit today, slowing it down and while I still don't feel "fluent" with playing through the tune, I have more of a "nice" arrangement roughed out. Sorry to bother you with "in progress" clips, but I'm starting late on this one.

That was really great Lawson. I really liked those voicings and feel. I also loved your tone. Sounds so nice!

User Info Menu

I've no idea why, unless others prefer the way it sounds. I can promise you that it's not my preferred thing at all. It's quite fun to work out but I can never remember what I just played. In fact, the reason I prefer single-string is that I don't have to remember. And I'm certainly not good enough to play CM on the fly.

So, if I write it down I have to look at paper - which is death to playing. I hate that, peering myopically at something and trying to play it. Useless.

But it's worse than that. Even if I do get some kind of version in my head, as I'm doing it I immediately think of other ways to do it. The moment you do that you freeze or completely mess it up... and that's the end of that performance. So you start again and the same thing happens. It's torture!

There's nothing wrong with my memory, by the way, it works fine, but for creative endeavours it gets in the way. I'm absolutely no rote player.

I know there's no magic answer to it, and I'm not sure I want there to be. Ideally, I need to be a perfect copying machine. It would be wonderful!
    No fair. you are not allowed inside my head. The "Worse than that" paragraph above summarizes my entire life in jazz. Learning one way, playing, thinking of another way (maybe thinking of HALF of another way) and jumping into it... train wreck...

You wisely stuck to what you like, I keep chasing that headless horseman of chord-melody improvisation...

User Info Menu

No fair. you are not allowed inside my head.
    Oh, I never thought for a moment I was alone. I suppose one safe way is to find a good lead sheet and just play those harmonies, basically, and that could be memorised easily enough. But then it becomes much the same as playing a classical piece. I've done all that in my time; I started with classical. Fine for the head but then what?

But I always thought the whole point of jazz and CM was to change things, reinterpret, re-express, and so on. I'd say that was the fun bit.

Maybe one way is to make a version, write it out, and somebody else can play it. Yes!
    Last edited by ragman1; 03-26-2018 at 01:36 PM.

User Info Menu

A bunch of posts on this thread have got me thinking about the interesting line between a note by note arrangement and a total on the fly interpretation.

So, let's say the common goal is to improvise playing that comes out equal to what we would play if we had all the time in the world to arrange it.

Is a better way to (A) improvise all the time and increase slowly what you are able to do with that limitation of playing in the moment, or (B) make arrangements that sound how you would like to be able to improvise and slowly get faster and faster at making them until you are creating them in time

The obvious answer is both. can we skip that? What do you do more of? I lean toward B for sure, but of course do both

User Info Menu

Oh, I never thought for a moment I was alone. I suppose one safe way is to find a good lead sheet and just play those harmonies, basically, and that could be memorised easily enough. But then it becomes much the same as playing a classical piece. I've done all that in my time; I started with classical. Fine for the head but then what?

But I always thought the whole point of jazz and CM was to change things, reinterpret, re-express, and so on. I'd say that was the fun bit.

Maybe one way is to make a version, write it out, and somebody else can play it. Yes!

But even taking "regular" jazz tunes, you rarely hear them played the same by any two players, even if they use the same lead sheet and standard voicings (unlike classical guitar in which it's hard to distinguish players, for me anyway).

In a way though jazz puts similar limits on itself as classical music in terms of having a fairly rigid repertoire. If the song's not a jazz song, then it's not jazz.

One of the enjoyable things I get from listening to a good jazz player is when he/she takes an unexpected non-jazz tune and makes it their own using jazz tools and techniques. I heard Robert Conti say he loves taking old cowboy songs and jazzing them up!

User Info Menu

A bunch of posts on this thread have got me thinking about the interesting line between a note by note arrangement and a total on the fly interpretation.

So, let's say the common goal is to improvise playing that comes out equal to what we would play if we had all the time in the world to arrange it.

Is a better way to (A) improvise all the time and increase slowly what you are able to do with that limitation of playing in the moment, or (B) make arrangements that sound how you would like to be able to improvise and slowly get faster and faster at making them until you are creating them in time

The obvious answer is both. can we skip that? What do you do more of? I lean toward B for sure, but of course do both
    I think it comes down to the style of the player. Some players are primarily arrangers and some are primarily improvisers. Typically it seems there is a stronger skill for each person. It's where their interests and priorities lie. Personally I prefer hearing someone play who has given some thought first to what is going to come out. That's just me. I know there are some who really love hearing on the fly playing.

User Info Menu

Yes interesting question. I try these days to do an arrangement of the melody, but then do an improvised chorus as well. It’s quite difficult though, still working on it. It kind of ends up being semi-improvised really, I have to get a sort of road map of it first.

I do find that arranging the melody is getting quicker for me now though, seems as though each one is done a bit quicker than the previous one.

User Info Menu

I don't think these are mutually exclusive, and improvising certainly isn't just playing "on the fly." I think that taking time to create, if not full arrangements, certainly reasonably thought-out settings of a tune is important because you can explore new ideas without putting a live performance at risk. The goal, though, for me, is not to create a memorized arrangement I can recite (though I've done that), but to internalize a vocabulary of chord-melody improvisation just like line playing involves internalizing a vocabulary. You learn how to weave a melody over a ii-V-I, then how to weave that melody over standard substitutions, then maybe how to work it over a chromatically descending bass line, or a pedal tone, for with walking bass, or switch the octave, melody low, chord accents on top; or with 2-note intervals, parallel intervals, then more divergent moving intervals. All this stuff can be worked out doing arrangements, but the goal is to learn them as playing vocabulary.

then when we "play" a song, all that is in our heads and ears, and we can play through the song drawing creatively on all this internalized vocabulary. Of course, we develop our preferred devices with particular songs, but it's still fun to break a tune down into vocabulary segments and try to see how many different ways you could play it.

Improvisation isn't dead-spontaneous playing; it's the spontaneous matching of our internalized vocabulary acquired through work and practice with the musical inspiration of the moment.