The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 92

User Info Menu

Hello All,

Welcome to the Solo Guitar Arranging Group! This is song thread #2, Here’s That Rainy Day, which was the winner of a poll by the group.

Players of all levels and abilities are welcome to participate here. Please join us!

The idea is to start a different song thread periodically and encourage everyone to post a video or recording of how they would play/arrange that particular tune for solo guitar (i.e. with no other accompaniment).

Group Guidelines

Here are general guidelines for the group.

1. All levels of players are strongly encouraged to participate, from beginners on up. We hope the group may even be rewarded occasionally, if not often, with contributions by seasoned pros and prominent guitarists. However, no matter your skill level you are strongly encouraged to join in. If you are open to hearing constructive comments and suggestions from the group, indicate #c&cwelcome in the title of your post.

2. The arrangement can be easy and simple, or elaborate and complex, or simply playing it on the fly. It’s all about each person’s own interpretation and approach.

3. After posting the arrangement, each person is encouraged to also post (in a video, on a recording or in writing) their approach to the song, or to specific parts of the song. This explanatory content can be in as much or as little detail as desired (or none at all). If the person is seeking specific help from the group this is a good place to ask for it.

4. Written notations of the arrangement are certainly not expected. Each person can decide how to handle any such requests from the group.

5. Future song selections and frequency will be made based on suggestions received and what appears to be a consensus. I’ll try and post a lead sheet for each song selection if that would be helpful. Of course, people can still play the song in any key (or keys) they choose.

6. Encouragement to each person for their contributions are encouraged. Unless the performer indicates a willingness to hear criticisms (see #1 above), participants should not offer criticisms of individual performances. Advice should only be offered if the person specifically asks for it. Even then resist criticizing anything to do with the interpretation or "artsy" side of the performance and comment on techniques and tips instead (for example playing a particular passage or suggesting chord embellishments, etc.)

7. Participation in group discussions is encouraged for all, even if a person does not want to personally post their own arrangements at present for whatever reason.

Goals of Group

1. To encourage each other to become better solo guitar players and to share knowledge and skills in a friendly and helpful setting. If we individually work up an arrangement and then bring it to the group, it will be invaluable to see how people handled the song or specific parts of the song. We will all enhance our guitar skills and vocabulary. New ideas or approaches would even be useful to the most advanced players.

2. To increase our repertoire of solo guitar songs.

3. To build confidence in playing for others, sharing our skills and in recording ourselves.

Since there is a new thread for each song, there is no time pressure to keep up with the group. People can post to each song thread when they’re ready to.

The Days of Wine and Roses was the group’s first song. There is a separate thread for that song. If you want to post a video or recording of that song, it’s never too late. Please do so in that thread and help keep that thread going as well!

I've attached two lead sheets of Here's That Rainy Day if they would be helpful. They are in keys of G and C, but of course any key can be used.

We hope everyone will join in and participate however you choose.
    Last edited by PaulW10; 02-15-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Added 2nd lead sheet in Key of C

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ok, playing a little sloppy this morning, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD
    Ok, playing a little sloppy this morning, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway...
    Wow that was beautiful Paul!! Wonderful harmonies and lines! Loved it!

User Info Menu

Here's our own Joe DeNisco playing Barry Galbraith's arrangement:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD
    Okay. So... what's the next song we're going to try?

Seriously, that sets the bar really high. Wonderfully played, just wonderful.

User Info Menu

Right from the start here I have a question. I've played this tune for a LONG time. And I always want to play some nice run between the AbMaj7 of m. 4 and the Am7 of M.5. I hear others playing these really neat sounding runs, but mine are just awful.

What's the concept involved in creating a nice line to move from that Ab to the Am7? whole tone? diminished? Melodic Minor? I try all kinds of things... and they're all just terrible.

User Info Menu

I've played this tune for years...I'm going to try the "Paul Desmond minor chord" thing this time.

User Info Menu

So here's a basic treatment of the tune that I've played for several years now. One warning-for some reason when I played this, the brain cells that control "swing" got zapped. It's played pretty much straight ballad. I don't know what happened there, normally even on a ballad I like a little swing feel, but this is deadly straight.

I owe a lot of inspiration here to Steven Crowell's arrangement, which I learned about 30 years ago, forgot, re-learned, forgot again, and ultimately fused with a bunch of other influences.

User Info Menu

Paul, Lawson, sounding great!

I tried this tonight...not sure if I love it minor. Sad enough major...

User Info Menu

Beau, you seem to be able to launch into just about any tune with a minimum of preparation and produce music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Yes that was really fresh! Loved every moment. The lines and fills are just wonderful.

And you have a great backup group! A little young for some venues, but a great backup group!

User Info Menu

I've noticed both a Gmaj7 and G-7 as the first chord. Is one more common than the other? The chart shows -7 but I like the maj7 more.

User Info Menu

I thought today I'd try a bit quicker tempo and a bit more swing. Also, I have included a recognition of those who don't like a lot of chatter or talk...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    I've noticed both a Gmaj7 and G-7 as the first chord. Is one more common than the other? The chart shows -7 but I like the maj7 more.
    I think that’s always been one of the great debates about this tune.

User Info Menu

Shaichen, a bit hard to hear, but some very nice ideas...nice to see someone else tring minor...

Lawson, you crack me up. I like the swinging though, even if I feel this is a perfect sad song. Oh, and thanks for the nice comment on mine.

Sunnyside, thanks. That in particular is very important to me, to just be able to sit down and play music. It didn't hurt that I've played this one a lot before, though!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I've always heard it was originally in F, with major chords, but that almost from the very start people started making the first chord a minor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I thought today I'd try a bit quicker tempo and a bit more swing. Also, I have included a recognition of those who don't like a lot of chatter or talk...
    Great playing and hilarious point to be made there!!!

I always tend to favor ballads, but this tempo sounded really good!

I still really love your video covers for these cover tunes too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    Great playing and hilarious point to be made there!!!

I always tend to favor ballads, but this tempo sounded really good!

I still really love your video covers for these cover tunes too!
    Thanks. Somewhere there is a live Jimmy Raney recording of this that is pretty up-tempo. It works great as longs you don't think about the words!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Just beautiful playing Jeff!!

I wasn't sure what you meant by the Paul Desmond minor chord thing and I never realized there was a maj7 versus min7 debate. You learn something every day! I noticed the lead sheet I learned it from was Gmaj7 so that's how I know it. Very interesting how harmonies can sneak up on you and subtly change everything. Music is so cool!

And Shaichen your rendition was very nice too, jut like your DOWAR post was great as well!

User Info Menu

Thanks. Somewhere there is a live Jimmy Raney recording of this that is pretty up-tempo. It works great as longs you don't think about the words!

So true about words and tempos!! I guess you can't play any kind of downer vocal song mixed with a happy dance beat if someone is singing!

User Info Menu

Just beautiful playing Jeff!!

I wasn't sure what you meant by the Paul Desmond minor chord thing and I never realized there was a maj7 versus min7 debate. You learn something every day! I noticed the lead sheet I learned it from was Gmaj7 so that's how I know it. Very interesting how harmonies can sneak up on you and subtly change everything. Music is so cool!

And Shaichen your rendition was very nice too, jut like your DOWAR post was great as well!
    The fake books tell part of the story: in the "old" illegal Real Book the first chord is Fm7. Meanwhile, the New Real Book came out with the tune in G and a major chord opening, and when Hal Leonard made a respectable songbook out of the Real Book, they used the Gmaj.

User Info Menu

The fake books tell part of the story: in the "old" illegal Real Book the first chord is Fm7. Meanwhile, the New Real Book came out with the tune in G and a major chord opening, and when Hal Leonard made a respectable songbook out of the Real Book, they used the Gmaj.
    That's very interesting Lawson. I may have to give it a try in m7 to see how it feels myself. That will really throw me I'm sure (I know switching to key of F would certainly derail my internalized version!!)

I just checked out Wikipedia and was surprised the song was written in 1953. For some reason I always thought it was much older than that, like from the 30s. It has a feel from that era.

User Info Menu

That's very interesting Lawson. I may have to give it a try in m7 to see how it feels myself. That will really throw me I'm sure (I know switching to key of F would certainly derail my internalized version!!)

I just checked out Wikipedia and was surprised the song was written in 1953. For some reason I always thought it was much older than that, like from the 30s. It has a feel from that era.
    "Embraceable You" is another that we tend to play in G but which was originally (if that matters) in F.

HTRD was part of a dismal broadway failure, a show that I think ran for less than a week, but the woman who sang this tune won some award for it. But the show tanked faster than the Titanic.

User Info Menu

Please don't use a m7!!!!

m6, m/maj, something more colorful...

User Info Menu

So this afternoon I got to thinking about minors in HTRD. I also sat down with the guitar and started playing with it, and at one point hit "record." That was a mistake, but not nearly as serious a mistake as hitting "upload."

Just so you will all feel even better about your own versions...kind like if Dracula had played it?