The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 92 of 92

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    I haven't had any time to make a new version of Rainy Day to share but here is a video of my arrangement and a short discussion of what I was thinking etc. If anyone wants the PDF just send me a note and I'll send it to you.

all the best
    tim

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thank you for sharing this, Tim! I can’t wait to play through the lesson when I get back in town.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Hi Guys,
    I haven't had any time to make a new version of Rainy Day to share but here is a video of my arrangement and a short discussion of what I was thinking etc. If anyone wants the PDF just send me a note and I'll send it to you.

all the best
    tim
    Wow Tim that was very nice. Thanks very much for sharing that with us. You have such smooth and pleasing chord voicings. They sound so great. And you shows great examples of a ballad versus swing rhythm for the song. I also really like your minute or so of improv at the end (and that seemed to have a 3rd rhythm example!). I would really like to work on my solo guitar improv skills. You seem to be building the solo using chord extensions and alteration in this example, staying close to the original harmonies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    is the next tune going to be tenderly since it was next on the poll, or are we doing a new poll? i also noticed the practical standards thread just started tenderly
    Thanks for asking about this Joe. I've been giving some though on what to suggest to the group to get a consensus. The original thought for the poll was that the two highest songs would be our next two songs to work on. People may have voted with that in mind. So, given that, I recommend we stay with Tenderly for the next song and then go back to asking for suggestions to include in a new poll after that one.

The fact that Tenderly was selected as the next practical standards thread may actually turn out to be a good thing (or have little bearing on this thread at all)!

So, unless this HTRD thread really sputters before then and it seems we can't wait that long, I'll just wait until March 15th to start a new thread with Tenderly. (The ides thread as Jeff noted)!!! That is of course unless most everyone here thinks that's a horrible idea!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    Thanks for asking about this Joe. I've been giving some though on what to suggest to the group to get a consensus. The original thought for the poll was that the two highest songs would be our next two songs to work on. People may have voted with that in mind. So, given that, I recommend we stay with Tenderly for the next song and then go back to asking for suggestions to include in a new poll after that one.

The fact that Tenderly was selected as the next practical standards thread may actually turn out to be a good thing (or have little bearing on this thread at all)!

So, unless this HTRD thread really sputters before then and it seems we can't wait that long, I'll just wait until March 15th to start a new thread with Tenderly. (The ides thread as Jeff noted)!!! That is of course unless most everyone here thinks that's a horrible idea!!
    All that, and you should probably set a "no Johnny Smith copies" rule for Tenderly, just to mess with everybody who's already halfway through copping that.

John

User Info Menu

sounds like a plan.

haha and no need to tell me not to play that finger yoga arrangment of Johnny’s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    sounds like a plan.

haha and no need to tell me not to play that finger yoga arrangment of Johnny’s

Yeah that is one beautiful version! The tone wow!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW10
    Wow Tim that was very nice. Thanks very much for sharing that with us. You have such smooth and pleasing chord voicings. They sound so great. And you shows great examples of a ballad versus swing rhythm for the song. I also really like your minute or so of improv at the end (and that seemed to have a 3rd rhythm example!). I would really like to work on my solo guitar improv skills. You seem to be building the solo using chord extensions and alteration in this example, staying close to the original harmonies.
    Thanks Paul, regarding the improvised part, I often use the basic voicings that i use to play the main melody and then extrapolate other melodies that live around those voicings. it seems a practical way to go. usually there are lots of alternative melodic ideas that live right around the voicings I'm already using. Of course that doesnt mean you can't use other methods as well. Not a bad place to start though.

tim

User Info Menu

This isn't a tune that I knew, and the melody wasn't very obvious to me. Especially since the Real Book melody didn't seem to sync with the Nat Cole version I found on YouTube. The last four bars of the B/C parts are still vague.

Nonetheless, here is my version. A little rough, and as usual very straight forward.

User Info Menu

Would it be possible for someone to make a compilation of the complete performances of the Days of Wine and Roses so we could kick back with a glass of wine or buttermilk and listen without trying to scramble through all the pages of the thread. What do you guys think of the idea? I would not know how to do the job but I would sure enjoy watching and listening.

User Info Menu

Love your intro!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Paul, Lawson, sounding great!

I tried this tonight...not sure if I love it minor. Sad enough major...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Whiteman
    Love your intro!
    Thank you! It was actually completely unplanned...the rest of the tune I've played forever...just had to remember to make my first and last chord minor here...

I need to get on to Tenderly! Yet another song I learned very early on and haven't played in probably 10 years...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Thanks Paul, regarding the improvised part, I often use the basic voicings that i use to play the main melody and then extrapolate other melodies that live around those voicings. it seems a practical way to go. usually there are lots of alternative melodic ideas that live right around the voicings I'm already using. Of course that doesnt mean you can't use other methods as well. Not a bad place to start though.

tim
    Thanks Tim. This is a very useful tip on how to add some improv to solo guitar without sounding like I'm totally falling off the train as I often do when I start to stray off into improv land.

User Info Menu

Here's a different take I just found.

User Info Menu

A recent Jimmy Bruno vid where he plays and discusses the tune

User Info Menu

My take on this one.
    Thanks for taking the time to watch it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MGranada
    My take on this one.
    Thanks for taking the time to watch it.

Very nice harmonizing! And great tone too!