The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I was mainly experimenting with a GoPro and an external microphone when I made this clip, but thought I'd post it because it's a very basic handling of "Autumn Leaves" that I think about anyone on this forum could play, and it has lots of openings for doing fancier things than I do. It's in Em/GMaj, but the basic chord voicings can be moved up a minor third to Gm/BbMaj without having to make many changes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Lawson, I think you sound better with each video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Lawson, I think you sound better with each video.
    Thanks Matt.

Making a clip is the closest thing I have to playing for an audience. When we play for others, we have to get it right, and the "pressure" is different from just sitting alone and playing. Since I don't play for audiences much, I'm using these video clips to "simulate" the pressure of playing for an audience.

It's fun to play for others, too, and that's another aspect of it. I hope others will get inspired,, even if only because they think "Hey I can do better than that guy!"

User Info Menu

I have been busy with a weekly nursing home gig but I must dust of some jazz chord melody stuff. I do (well, did) Misty and Autumn Leaves too. I'll see if I can record them soon and if they are somewhat decent I'll post them here as well.

Keep going Lawson, don't stop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    I have been busy with a weekly nursing home gig but I must dust of some jazz chord melody stuff. I do (well, did) Misty and Autumn Leaves too. I'll see if I can record them soon and if they are somewhat decent I'll post them here as well.

Keep going Lawson, don't stop.
    Just the act of trying to record and post is a kind of accountability thing for me. It makes me stop noodling and try actually to play something.

User Info Menu

You do it very well, very inspiring, thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Very beatifull

User Info Menu

Very nice

Sorry for repeat the post xD !!!

User Info Menu

That was very nice.
    I also hear that you are improving in each new video :-)

User Info Menu

That's nice, Lawson!

Do you have a chart?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by h1pst3r88
    That's nice, Lawson!

Do you have a chart?
    Unfortunately, no. I started out with Steve Crowell's arrangement maybe 20 years ago, but as I heard other people play it, learned other phrases, and actually got familiar with the tune, it has morphed all over the place. Kind of a Frankenstein-Monster thing where parts and pieces from all over land in there.

BTW has anyone else noticed you can play most the the theme song to M*A*S*H* over the "Autumn Leaves" changes?

I'm planning to do a clip of a chord-melody take in Gm/BbMaj as well. A lot of the same voicings, of course.

User Info Menu

It's totally M*A*S*H!

I love the Ahmad Jamal version (I love his version of everything), but yours was really nice. I will cop some by sight ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by h1pst3r88
    It's totally M*A*S*H!

I love the Ahmad Jamal version (I love his version of everything), but yours was really nice. I will cop some by sight ;-)
    If there's anything you can't figure out, just drop me a message, none of what I play is unique to me, it's all public domain voicings and stuff. I'm happy to share.

User Info Menu

Cool Lawson-Stone. Who is your man - Pass, Kessell, Smith?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Cool Lawson-Stone. Who is your man - Pass, Kessell, Smith?
    Joe Pass is my hero, without a doubt. Barney Kessel also strikes a chord in me, though when I play like him I sound corny where he sounds cool. I love listening to Johnny Smith but somehow always found him totally out of reach!

My current favorites are Joshua Breakstone, Royce Campbell, and Pat Metheny.

User Info Menu

Well done I can hear it Lawson PK Stone.

User Info Menu

lawson thanks for this video

I like so much how you play waves

that,s videos in the forum are very nice and a lesson for students who are learning from a lower level

thanks for share your music with us

User Info Menu

You guys are so gracious. It's fun to play something and then have a chance to talk about it with others who are trying to figure out how to play it too.

Funny but the post on "Wave" has gotten very little comment. I must have really butchered that one, and everyone is being polite!

User Info Menu

"public domain voicings" lol! great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    "public domain voicings" lol! great
    Sure, you know what I mean. The stuff you find in all the chord-melody books. I learned a lot of them from the Joe Pass Chord Solos book.

User Info Menu

of course, that's why I liked the term!

User Info Menu

Very nice!

User Info Menu

Here is a rough-cut of the tune in the traditional horn-key of 2 flats (Gm/BbMaj). Just one chorus.

Today I can't seem to make a clip without a hair-ball, so please forgive the howlers that breed like cats in this clip. You can still get the very basic vanilla voicings I'm using, a few fun moving lines and the bigger challenge of getting some bass lines underneath--it was easy in Em, but in Gm, it's a bit harder.

User Info Menu

Both keys sound good. Both the Ellis and the Aria have fine, albeit distinct tones. Nice voicings all around. Well done!