Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Anyone have the AUDIO for Herb Ellis' "Blues Shapes" book?

Alfred Publishing put the book out in 1987. It's long since out of print. It came with a cassette. I have the text but not the audio. I can make do with that, but it would be nice to hear Herb play the solos. (I think there are five pieces, maybe 20-25 choruses of twelve-bar blues.)
    I am no longer a moderator here. Please contact Dirk Laukens (username: Dirk) or Matt Warnock (username: m78w) with concerns normally addressed to a moderator. This includes wanting to delete your account.

All best,
    Mark

Note: "Blues Shapes" (published by Alfred back in the late '80s) is NOT the same book as "Swing Blues" (published by Alfred in 1996).
    I am no longer a moderator here. Please contact Dirk Laukens (username: Dirk) or Matt Warnock (username: m78w) with concerns normally addressed to a moderator. This includes wanting to delete your account.

All best,
    Mark

Hey Mark,

As an aside, what is in that particular book? Is it similar to his Swing Blues in the shapes he espouses? Do you think it is worthwhile purchase if you already own the Swing Blues book/CD?

I see that it is still for sale for under $20.00 bucks. There are versions out there with cassette, while others have the CD.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    Hey Mark,

As an aside, what is in that particular book? Is it similar to his Swing Blues in the shapes he espouses? Do you think it is worthwhile purchase if you already own the Swing Blues book/CD?

I see that it is still for sale for under $20.00 bucks. There are versions out there with cassette, while others have the CD.

Thanks in advance.
    It's about 35 pages long and came with a cassette. (I've never heard the cassette.) The shapes are the same as in "Swing Blues" (-though curiously, they are not numbered the same). The meat of the book is the solos, four or five of them. 20-25 choruses of blues. I've heard enough of Herb, and learned enough of his lines, to have a sense of how he would play them, but if there was a chance to hear his playing, I'd like it.

They're not as challenging as the solos in "Swing Blues" but they have a lot of nice lines in them.

All best,
    Mark

Hi Mark,

I have the book and cassette for Blues Shapes by Herb Ellis and Terry Holmes. Please PM me and we can figure something out. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to copy it to either another cassette or CD.

Cheers,
    Joe
    "Your biggest discoveries come by playing" - Robert Conti

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe View Post
    Hi Mark,

I have the book and cassette for Blues Shapes by Herb Ellis and Terry Holmes. Please PM me and we can figure something out. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to copy it to either another cassette or CD.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Done

All best,
    Mark

Hello!

Well, according to Mark that didn't work out as it was the wrong book Joe was talking about. Bummer.

The good news is: As I already told Mark via PM, I do have the audio of Herb Ellis' tutorial on his "Blues Shapes". The bad news is it's ona a crappy MC. Unfortunately, I have no means to convert the audio int mp3-files (I don't even own a tape deck anymore); however, if there's someone out there willing and able to do just that, I'd gladly send him or her the MC via snail mail (if it's not to far away, that is). The book is long out of print, so I think it'd be okay for those who own it to share the converted audio, but if I'm wrong about that and it's not an okay thing to do, I'd stand corrected - just let me know if it's out of line to have asked this in the first place.

Those of you interested in Herb's playing probably have learned from the respective thread that there's a study group on the forum of players who work through the solos Herb thaught in order to explain his approach to and style of improvisation. As for me, after a break I'd like to continue my participation in the tackling of all those fine lines Herb Ellis played, but I found the "Blues shapes" book wouldn't be better suited for a player of my small caliber than the stuff we're working on right now as it already gets more sophisticated. That's why I'd really like to bring this "older" studies into the forum.

Greetings,

T.

I think I have it and I might be able to send it to you. PM me.

Herb Ellis' "Blues Shapes"

Hello Carl!

Wow, that would be great! I really would love to work with this book, so if you could help me out here this would be awesome! What do you need me to do?

Looking forward to hear from you!

Greetings,

Tony

Okay, I just got around to check it. I have: "All the shapes you are", "Rhythm shapes" and "Swing blues". probably this is why I thought I had "Blues shapes". sorry to disappoint.

No worries, Carl-Tone - thank you very much for checking! Maybe I'll find a way to convert my own MC with the book's audio, then I'll let you guys know. All the best,

greetings,

T.

I was able to copy the cassette for Blues Shapes by Herb Ellis and Terry Holmes to an mp3 (actually 3 mp3 files). Does anyone have any thoughts on how best to legally share this with other Forum members?
    "Your biggest discoveries come by playing" - Robert Conti

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed