Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "The Lick"

"The Lick"

Nifty video collection of all sorts of musicians playing the same lick in various contexts.

I am no longer a moderator here. Please contact Dirk Laukens (username: Dirk) or Matt Warnock (username: m78w) with concerns normally addressed to a moderator.
    All best,
    Mark

Hello.
    Thank you. I bought your book earlier.
    I like your style. Thanks again.

Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory.

Llewelyn Wyn Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoderick View Post
    Hello.
    Thank you. I bought your book earlier.
    I like your style. Thanks again.

Hey, Rhoderick. You bought my book? Thank you! Naturally, I think you are brilliant and everything you say is true! ;o)

Seriously, thanks. I'm glad you enjoy it.

As for this thread, I think this video is nifty because it shows how many different ways a lick can work, and in how wide a variety of contexts it can fit. I was especially surprised at how it fit into some pop tunes and how, at least in one case, I had heard the lick in that pop tune without noticing that I'd heard it in so many sax solos!
    I am no longer a moderator here. Please contact Dirk Laukens (username: Dirk) or Matt Warnock (username: m78w) with concerns normally addressed to a moderator.
    All best,
    Mark

"The Lick"-_lick_-_-page-1-jpg

Thanks for lick and link...;-)
    Best
    Kris

I have never noticed this lick's ubiquitousness (is that a word ?) before. Is it some sort of in-joke used only by the secret jazz illuminati ?

So who started it ? Are most of these instances deliberate quotes of previous work?

Obviously the Stravinsky quote (the Firebird ?) is the earliest, although it seems to be one note short of the others and its resemblance may be purely coincidental.
    Have no secrets, hear no lies.

I honestly think that might have been one of the first licks I ever copped from a record.

Now I'm gonna have to think who I stole it from...
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action?"

--Adam West, as Batman, 1966.

Licks are for ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by targuit View Post
    Licks are for ice cream.
    ...and tootsie-roll tootsie-pops, but only three and no more. Or so sayeth the owl.

I remember when this video made the rounds a few years ago and ever since I've been a bit self-conscious about accidentally playing the lick, which kind of sucks 'cause it's a nice sound.

I wonder if this lick has a name or origin.

Like the lines taken from "honeysuckle rose" lick or "cry me a river" lick. Those licks are some of the jazz lines you hear all the time on Joe Pass recordings and other guitar players.

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones View Post
    I wonder if this lick has a name or origin.

Like the lines taken from "honeysuckle rose" lick or "cry me a river" lick. Those licks are some of the jazz lines you hear all the time on Joe Pass recordings and other guitar players.
    Those are great licks---"Topsy" is another much-used one---but I'm not sure the origins of this one can be traced. It's not the main riff of a tune. Licks have a way not only of getting passed around but of being hit on by players who didn't learn them from a book or record but hit upon them while playing and thought, 'hmmm, that sounds cool.'
    All best,
    Mark

@Mark where can I find the "Topsy" lick?

Interesting find. I don't think that this is a random thing as so many people have played it. It would be great to know the origin of the lick, or if it has a name. As newsense said, maybe it is an inside joke.

There is "Topsy" head and Tal Farlow solo:
    "Topsy" Tal Farlow solo

Topsy lick is probably 4 bars of a head...I think.

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    There is "Topsy" head and Tal Farlow solo:
    "Topsy" Tal Farlow solo

Topsy lick is probably 4 bars of a head...I think.
    Yeah, Kris, it's that first phrase. The lick pops up in lots of Swing-era solos. I first read about it as a lick with a name in one of Wolf Marshall's books. I played it realized I'd heard the lick before but at the time, I'd never heard "Topsy" before.

Another lick that's been used a lot is from Charlie Parker's "Now's the Time" solo. (The opening phrase.) Actually, in "Guitar Boogie Shuffle" (as recorded by the Virtues), you can hear it. (That always sticks out in my mind because The Virtues weren't a jazz band.)

(The visuals here are pretty stupid but you can hear the Charlie Parker lick in the first solo.)
    All best,
    Mark

Here's a YouTube clip of a Benny Goodman performance of "Topsy."

All best,
    Mark

Chris. I also heard it done like this:

"The Lick"-lick2-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rwmol View Post
    Chris. I also heard it done like this:

"The Lick"-lick2-jpg
    Looks like a variation nr...
    Thanks

This thread inspired me for a blog post:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/the-lick/

Hey Dirk, the forum software won't let me "like" your post for some reason, so consider this to be a "hey, that was a cool idea with the lick" and a "hey the forum is wonky" post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    This thread inspired me for a blog post:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/the-lick/
    Great idea, Dirk! Good job too---good examples, embedded video, and a place for comments. It will be interesting to see how many examples people find.
    All best,
    Mark

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed