The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Nifty video collection of all sorts of musicians playing the same lick in various contexts.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello.
    Thank you. I bought your book earlier.
    I like your style. Thanks again.

Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory.

Llewelyn Wyn Griffith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoderick
    Hello.
    Thank you. I bought your book earlier.
    I like your style. Thanks again.

Hey, Rhoderick. You bought my book? Thank you! Naturally, I think you are brilliant and everything you say is true! ;o)

Seriously, thanks. I'm glad you enjoy it.

As for this thread, I think this video is nifty because it shows how many different ways a lick can work, and in how wide a variety of contexts it can fit. I was especially surprised at how it fit into some pop tunes and how, at least in one case, I had heard the lick in that pop tune without noticing that I'd heard it in so many sax solos!

User Info Menu

Attachment 9731

Thanks for lick and link...;-)
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

I have never noticed this lick's ubiquitousness (is that a word ?) before. Is it some sort of in-joke used only by the secret jazz illuminati ?

So who started it ? Are most of these instances deliberate quotes of previous work?

Obviously the Stravinsky quote (the Firebird ?) is the earliest, although it seems to be one note short of the others and its resemblance may be purely coincidental.

User Info Menu

I honestly think that might have been one of the first licks I ever copped from a record.

Now I'm gonna have to think who I stole it from...

User Info Menu

Licks are for ice cream.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Licks are for ice cream.
    ...and tootsie-roll tootsie-pops, but only three and no more. Or so sayeth the owl.

I remember when this video made the rounds a few years ago and ever since I've been a bit self-conscious about accidentally playing the lick, which kind of sucks 'cause it's a nice sound.

User Info Menu

I wonder if this lick has a name or origin.

Like the lines taken from "honeysuckle rose" lick or "cry me a river" lick. Those licks are some of the jazz lines you hear all the time on Joe Pass recordings and other guitar players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones
    I wonder if this lick has a name or origin.

Like the lines taken from "honeysuckle rose" lick or "cry me a river" lick. Those licks are some of the jazz lines you hear all the time on Joe Pass recordings and other guitar players.
    Those are great licks---"Topsy" is another much-used one---but I'm not sure the origins of this one can be traced. It's not the main riff of a tune. Licks have a way not only of getting passed around but of being hit on by players who didn't learn them from a book or record but hit upon them while playing and thought, 'hmmm, that sounds cool.'

User Info Menu

@Mark where can I find the "Topsy" lick?

Interesting find. I don't think that this is a random thing as so many people have played it. It would be great to know the origin of the lick, or if it has a name. As newsense said, maybe it is an inside joke.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Topsy lick is probably 4 bars of a head...I think.
    Yeah, Kris, it's that first phrase. The lick pops up in lots of Swing-era solos. I first read about it as a lick with a name in one of Wolf Marshall's books. I played it realized I'd heard the lick before but at the time, I'd never heard "Topsy" before.

Another lick that's been used a lot is from Charlie Parker's "Now's the Time" solo. (The opening phrase.) Actually, in "Guitar Boogie Shuffle" (as recorded by the Virtues), you can hear it. (That always sticks out in my mind because The Virtues weren't a jazz band.)

(The visuals here are pretty stupid but you can hear the Charlie Parker lick in the first solo.)

User Info Menu

Here's a YouTube clip of a Benny Goodman performance of "Topsy."

User Info Menu

Chris. I also heard it done like this:

"The Lick"-lick2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rwmol
    Chris. I also heard it done like this:

"The Lick"-lick2-jpg
    Looks like a variation nr...
    Thanks

User Info Menu

This thread inspired me for a blog post:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/the-lick/

User Info Menu

Hey Dirk, the forum software won't let me "like" your post for some reason, so consider this to be a "hey, that was a cool idea with the lick" and a "hey the forum is wonky" post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    This thread inspired me for a blog post:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/the-lick/
    Great idea, Dirk! Good job too---good examples, embedded video, and a place for comments. It will be interesting to see how many examples people find.